Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Rodeo 2WD 4ZE1/T5 CA Spec - 2016 RAM1500 Pentastar (22mpg) - 1986 RockZuk on Toyota Axles
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So she's been driving this thing to work daily for months now, I drove it one time when it was below freezing at night and popped the head gasket again. I really think it was the 5tec, I found an upper intake for a 2bbl but I haven't found a 2bbl throttle body so I'm thinking I'm going to use the hose fittings that are threaded to replace the ones that made the 5tec necessary if they'll fit, rebuild the upper intake and get the water flowing this time now that it's winter.

I got this Diamond Power gasket set for $21 on ebay. Anyone ever used it? Looks far higher quality than the DNJ or Apex or a few other gasket sets floating around with the dead on arrival head gasket, this one doesn't have the problems on those. I do have another felpro head gasket for the job too but I'm thinking about trying this one out. Anybody used Diamond Power in the 4ZE1? Seems like they have good reviews in lots of cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
For some gaskets, the cheap Chi-com knockoffs are okay. Never, NEVER use a knockoff head gasket. Dennis

·
Registered
1993 Rodeo 2WD 4ZE1/T5 CA Spec - 2016 RAM1500 Pentastar (22mpg) - 1986 RockZuk on Toyota Axles
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some gaskets, the cheap Chi-com knockoffs are okay. Never, NEVER use a knockoff head gasket. Dennis
Yeah, I'll get yelled at if it needs to sit for a week again when it doesn't hold, I'll just use the felpro. I never was able to get the OEM from Jerry, I was just thinking if there's another brand out there that's on par with felpro and this one looks close, it'd be good for the planet to know about it.

You think bypassing the coolant to the upper intake and throttle body would have something to do with it blowing the very first time it got driven more than 30 seconds when it was below freezing?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah, I'll get yelled at if it needs to sit for a week again when it doesn't hold, I'll just use the felpro. I never was able to get the OEM from Jerry, I was just thinking if there's another brand out there that's on par with felpro and this one looks close, it'd be good for the planet to know about it.

You think bypassing the coolant to the upper intake and throttle body would have something to do with it blowing the very first time it got driven more than 30 seconds when it was below freezing?
No has nothing to do w anything other than gaskets that are garbage. OEM if you can and Felpro if you must. Been down that road to many times w to many rigs ( mine and others)

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
1. Felpro or OEM ONLY.
2. Head resurfaced or closely checked with a straightedge
3. Block checked closely with a straightedge
Clean. Very thoroughly clean block (and head if not resurfaced)
4. clean threads in block with a tap, and clean threads on head bolts with a die.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Head bolt holes in the block, Tap size: 12mmx1.50mm. Get a bottoming tap if you can find one.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Ajusa if you can find it also.

lastly and I didn’t see it mentioned is these head bolts are NOT torque 90° or 180° style. Jerry told me that you step up to the Lb Ft iirc 76. From 40-50 following the pattern in all bolts, then the final torque spec. Most important::: Drive 1000 miles and retorque. And you should have a good long running head gasket. Just be sure to keep it cool. Don’t shift high or overheat the damn thing and you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gas Auto part Machine Metal Event

Oh yeah and I've gotta either find the right exhaust manifold or downpipe to match the good one at the junkyard in the morning

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Head bolt holes in the block, Tap size: 12mmx1.50mm. Get a bottoming tap if you can find one.
I bought one last time, they have them on the shelf at every poorly stocked Ace

Anyone ever deal with having the wrong exhaust manifold? I just realized if I change the downpipe to fit the more common two hole 3 stud exhaust manifold still available new from Dorman, my EGR pipe would not have the studs and it's not threaded like the port for it on this good spare exhaust manifold I have out of a trooper.
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Gas

Gas Auto part Machine Metal Event

1 - 12 of 12 Posts