Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Well folks, I finally managed to borrow a dig camera...been getting just a little flack for no pics... :D , so here's a couple of my '86...outstanding in its field.
Desert trooper.jpg

Custom paint job by your's truly (w/ spray cans believe it or not!) and all the body work that you can't see under it.
Desert Trooper -Interior.jpg

Yeah that's custom made wood paneling,...camo seat covers courtesy of pep boys LOL! And a custom steering wheel, ...and that's a pristine dash pulled from another 86, and bedliner on the floor boards. I got a few things left to do to it, but my excuse was being bored stiff during the great recession, and this is the "unemployment restoration project" -an investment in my critical infrastructure, and my daily driver.
rims and tires 001.jpg

Superwinch hubs, KYB shocks w/ steering dampener, 30/9.5/15's on snowflakes, all new front end w/ Calmini torsion bars, 89RS leafs w/90mm shackles, Custom built 4zd1, rebuilt MSG-5 Tranny, custom built 3core radiator, A/C, Gas can mod.
194k and counting...."onward through the fog!"
gassing up.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
WOW. matching mirrors and windshield wiper arms. i think it would look even cooler with the headlights and turn signals painted the same color too. :wink: :wink:

actually, it looks pretty good. sent some more photos from the side and rear.

cheers, john

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...yeah...I'd probably be hearing about that from the cops though....(chuckle) and they'd be giving tickets all day long. Call me a lazy painter, but it was easier to paint the wiper arms than to take them off and readjust them when putting them back on, though I did take the wiper blades off...LOL! The mirrors were a simple matter of masking , including the rubber boot on its swivel...I was going for unicolor look in the first place. The white top litterally keeps the interior a lot cooler than if I'd not done it, though I plan to tint the windows beyond simply the strip on the top of the winshield to minimise the sun blinding me at sunrise/sunset. I rarely have to bother flipping the visors down anymore and that space between them and the mirror where the sun always seems to hang out and blind you while driving is gone for good on this ride. I love the trooper's wrap around visibility and lack of blind spots with all its glass, but this was a pet peave I needed to eliminate for safety reasons as well. Anyone who owns a trooper and drives into the rising or setting sun will understand exactly why I went with a flat paint finish and tinted the top 3-4 " of the new windshield. The winshield is not only a really good fly swatter @ 75 mph, but over time it gets sand pitted to such an extent that it's like looking through the intro to a star wars movie...so for $125 I don't need to deal with being blinded anymore...(chuckle)

Thanks for the compliments folks, I didn't bother posting pics for awhile as my trooper really isn't anything special compared to some of the awsome modded rides I've seen posted here, and it's nothing folks haven't seen before, or so I thought.

Anyone know where I can get some rock shields for the headlights...mesh type?

Thanks,

EJ

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah buddy! OEM is "original equip. modification" to me! You'll find a detailed "how to" in my posts here...been a bad boy and got off topic on the following thread, my excuse to the admin of this site is I got "attention deficit" on board...and got distracted by my peers (chuckle).

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61071

Oh, BTW they are just tacked on at the moment with velcro...and the hardware of the door, What I need to do is take the brass wood screws I got and use the OEM plastic anchors in the door itself as recepticles after I line out and pre-drill the holes in the panelling using the OEM panels as templates, as I was hoping to keep a clean look w no screws originally, but as I'm getting a little natural warpage at this point, I'm going to have to screw them down around the edges. No big deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Trooper Looks great- and cool scenery for that pic!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Box,

Pics taken in Abiquiu, NM off US 84/285...It's hard to find a more diverse 4x4 playground...every type of soil, rock, scree..vertical challenges, sand washes, every color of mud you could decorate your ride with all dumped into one small area, and then just wait 5 minutes on an average monsoon afternoon, it'll all get real wet and slick quick,...then you better be able to outrun a flash flooding arroyo or own a trooper that floats...(chuckle).

Mostly national forest and Indian land, the locals tend to be a bit picky about where folks go off-roading...best to ask at Bodie's store...get a local map if you arn't familiar...getting lost is way too much fun in the canyons,...take a dip in the lake if you want to cool off after.

When I get the chance to borrow a video camera for the day...i'll do a run up through aspen meadows , the back road to the SantaFe ski basin. About a 4k climb in 12 miles or [email protected] 6500-7000 ft. it starts with this kind of terrain and goes switchbacking up into high alpine country to 10,500-11,000ft. I'm sure there's still some snow to play in.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The "Crown Royal" shifter-boot Mod !
SUNP00021.JPG

I used this to keep the dust out for over a year till I got a new shifter boot from Jerry Lemond....Thanks Jerry! :D

Attachments

Reactions: CappyJakk and recon

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
A couple pics of the new 2.3

Air cleaner mod 003.jpg

valve cover 3.jpg

engine build xxx.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The bugscreen Mod ( aluminum window screen mounted between grill and radiator);
Sunp0005.jpg

No more pickin' pebbles & exoskeletons out from between radiator fins to get good air flow!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Box,

And I don't even drink according to medical opinion,...because when asked if a beer on New Years and a beer on my birthday qualified me as a "drinker"..."Hell no!" was the response and that comes from a nuro-surgeon prior to a MRI who figured my head was probably still intact if I could crack jokes about his "pre-flight checklist" like that.

Can't wait to see a state trooper's reaction next time I get a ticket....LOL!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
looks good man! It reminds me of cronks old trooper but a 2 door version

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks folks, a fair but of body work went into fixing all the dings and dents to get 'er looking half way decent. Like the fontera, I was going for the "integrated" bumpers look. That passenger door had a nice dent once upon a time in the middle of it from key lock hight down into the trim strip.

What pics can't tell you is that this 86 drives and feels like a new vehicle on the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, it really looks incredible, I can't believe you did it with spray cans!

What brand paint did you use and what sort of primer? Did you remove all of the old paint first, and if so how? Was it always white, or did you change the color?

My '86 diesel trooper is dark blue, and I'd like to repaint it white to reduce interior temps. I also use it exclusively in the southwestern desert!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Casioqv,

This trooper was stock tan, so i tried to keep it as close as I could so I didn't have to deal with taking off doors to do the surrounds, and it had a lot of dings and dents, nothing too major, but the pass door had a pretty big one that I had to bang out. So in these spots I did take it down to metal, used an iron oxide red primer, bondo, and then after getting the thing all wet sanded down to 360 grit I shot the trooper with a light grey auto body primer (sticking with krylon, or rustoluem as these are good brands) . The roof I primed with a white primer to help the satin finish coats cover better, these I picked up at Hobby lobby, and the finish paint was a krylon as well with a particular nozzel that allowed for a good spray pattern at all angles, as I was shooting strait down on it.

The tan color I picked up at Wallmart in their hunting/sporting goods dept. it's krylon "ultra flat camoflage" I believe they had a light green, a dark green and this tan. The actual color is pretty close to stock trooper tan.

You want to cross hatch and overlap your spray pattern between coats and wet sand very lightly with 600 grit between 2 & 3 coat to knock off any over spray build up, and you'll get a good even finish on the last , that once you get 3 coats on good you can take some rubbing compound to. I'd recomend doing 4-5 coats if possible for added mil thickness, but I didn't have that kind of budget.

To do your roof, get some 1 mil plastic and a lot of tape and wrap the troop in it, and I recomend shooting it the early morning before sun-up when air is calm or in full shade with surface temps no more than 75 degrees, otherwise the spray will flash dry and not even out properly.

You can reduce interior temps quite bit just painting your roof white.

Reactions: casioqv

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm in SantaFe.
There are a few New Mexico 4x4 clubs, mostly Albuquerque based, and a few of those that are hopeless Jeep snobs...(chuckle)...but you might find a few folks in your area to hang out and get mud splattered with.

1 - 20 of 373 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.