Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need some help ASAP!!!

The air pump and air injection system had been disabled on my '75 Chevy LUV...aka early G180 motor.

While installing my Weber carb, I removed the four air injectors, as they interfered with the carburetor. After searching every parts house and hardware store in town, I couldn't find a bolt that matched, so I welded the injector fittings shut and threaded them back in.

Maiden voyage went well, until one of these "plugs" popped out. Drove home with a JB Welded penny plugging the hole, and keeping it under 40mph.

So....I'm sure there are plenty of people that have disabled this system also....can anyone confirm the thread pitch of the air injector fittings? The guy at Fastenal said it is M14x1.25.....but I can't find such a bolt anywhere....not even on the interwebzzz.

Advise...or is that not the right thread pitch?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Thats a big *** bolt. Are you sure he was not talking about the head size? A 14mm head will be a M10 bolt which is very easily found in 1.25 thread pitch.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
betterthanyou said:
Thats a big a-- bolt.
The original part is a flare nut, not a bolt.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yes, that.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Mylesofsmyles said:
So I need some help ASAP!!!

The air pump and air injection system had been disabled on my '75 Chevy LUV...aka early G180 motor.

While installing my Weber carb, I removed the four air injectors, as they interfered with the carburetor. After searching every parts house and hardware store in town, I couldn't find a bolt that matched, so I welded the injector fittings shut and threaded them back in.

Maiden voyage went well, until one of these "plugs" popped out. Drove home with a JB Welded penny plugging the hole, and keeping it under 40mph.

So....I'm sure there are plenty of people that have disabled this system also....can anyone confirm the thread pitch of the air injector fittings? The guy at Fastenal said it is M14x1.25.....but I can't find such a bolt anywhere....not even on the interwebzzz.

Advise...or is that not the right thread pitch?
Thread pitch sounds correct. Goto to napaonline.com and search through the oil pan drain plugs until you find the right pitch. Pitch is usually listed in the description.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Mylesofsmyles said:
I checked the link....so a 3/8 flare cap won't work?
No! I used NPT fittings when i first did this. The fit is close, but unless you JB weld the fittings in place they may eventually back out. The correct size is M14x1.24. It is worth $15 bucks and a trip to NAPA. Getting the flange off the drain plug needs to be done, but it is possible without a lathe. I chucked-up each drain plug in a drill and spun it while grinding the flange off with a 4.5" grinder. Took a little patience, but the result was fine.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Mylesofsmyles said:
Back from NAPA with four m14x1.25 drain plugs and some loctite....yep, that flange has to go.

Thanks for the help all!
I don't think I'd cut off that 'nipple' on the bottom of the plugs like the other thread suggests.

And even if you do, before you do so, it makes a perfect way to chuck it up in a drill, so you can grind down the flange, like chuffer did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts