Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well kids i finally found a promissing 2nd gen KB pickup whith a deisel for sale. Its an 82 4x4, guy says it runs like a top and has lots of power (well im guessing for an NA C223 anyway). Only problem is he says its been started whith eather a few times, does anybody know how bad that is? Hes asking $1500 for it, is this a fair price? Anyhow heres a link to the pics of it, thanks for the input guys.

http://adamsgarage.com/gallery2/v/motor ... c43b2878ca

·
Registered
546 Posts
Looks like a promising project. But, 1500 is a little much. I would offer him $750 cash and meet somewhere in the middle (which would still be too high). Are you planing on builing up that truck or dropin the powerplant into your existing pup?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1500 is a little high for one of those guys but 1000 is reasonable. When i go look at it for me to buy it its perty much going to have to be perfect. But at anyrate ill be buying this guy as a driver. Ill probly see if i cant get a turbo and what not from a trooper and maybe rig up propane and nitrous injection. I might straight pipe it too, 2.5" pipe should sound good... 8) :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Ether certainly isn't a good thing in the long run, but once or twice shouldn't hurt it. The process used by the Mercedes guys is twofold:

1) See how easily it starts with one cycle of the glow plugs
2) Check for blow-by by opening the oil filler cap while it is running

If it fails #1 by not starting with one cycle of the glow plugs, give it 3 or 4 cycles of the glow plugs and try to start it. You could have one or more dead plugs, or something wrong with the glow plug circuit. If that engine requires manual valve adjustments you may just have valves that are out of spec. Having valves that are too tight will cause a loss of compression which is most noticable when the engine is dead cold and you are trying to start it.

For #2 you may feel some air coming out of the oil filler cap but you shouldn't have a breeze or a lot of oil. Some oil is normal considering the valves are moving up and down at a good clip.

Keep us up to date on the progress. You may even find an 86 Trooper with a turbo diesel to swap into it some day.

-Tad

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah im going to keep an eye on the salvage yards for thye manifolds and turbo. Thanks for the tips on the engine. As far as the glow plugs go, he straight up told me they have issues. Hes working on converting it to a VW 11volt glow plug circut, but if that dosnt work hell rig it whith a togle switch. Im not too concerned about a togle becouse thats how the equipment is that i work whith on the flighline so i have a good feel for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.