Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rodeo needs front brakes and rotors before it gets inspected. Now while I'm tearing into the front end to get the rotors off, and since I've had the Rodeo for 2 years now, I figure I better grease the wheel bearings. My situation comes into play with my CV boots. All 4 are completely ripped.

Would it be best to replace the boots at about $15 a piece or should I just buy new half shafts and replace them with the new boots included? I am looking on RockAuto right now and they have new halfshafts from $45-60.

The other thing I want to do if I have the extra money when I am working on all of this is to install manual hubs. I have read several threads about the splines being chewed up because of the auto-locking hubs. If mine are chewed up I guess new half shafts would be the way to go then, right?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I guess I'd have to ask myself a few of questions before deciding...
First, do I have a decent junk yard nearby ?
Second, are the CVs clicking and popping due to issues related to the torn boots ?
Third, are the splines shredded or not ? Easy enough to check...either way, the snap ring position for the Manual Hubs is further back on the spline than the Auto Hubs, so your splines would have to be in BAD shape to keep you from swapping in manuals.
Fourth, are you running with a lift kit ?

I have a few junk yards nearby, so I'd pull a set of Aisins off another rig, put the money saved on the lock-outs toward a new set of boots or half shafts as needed.
(My Aisins cost $30.00 and the time needed to find new snap rings after cleaning and repainting them)

Many guys will put a set of JY half shafts in their rig without blinking an eye, but I'ld rather not have to take the front end apart again any sooner than I have to.
Of course, if you're running a lift, you might as well get used to changing your CV boots, cause you'll be doing it again.

The lock outs are easy to come by and most are in great shape due to the fact that they hardly ever see any use from the owners who let them go to the yard.
In addition, both sides can be replaced inside of 10 minutes.
Either way, compared to the time and effort required to change out the half shafts, the answer becomes quite clear to me.

JMHO
:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Unless they are split boots, it takes just as much work to reboot an axle as it does to replace the axle. Besides, with the boots split, there has been crap and crud getting in there. New axles would be more reliable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CatFuzz said:
Unless they are split boots, it takes just as much work to reboot an axle as it does to replace the axle. Besides, with the boots split, there has been crap and crud getting in there. New axles would be more reliable.
This is pretty much the same mindset I have.

Oregon RS said:
I guess I'd have to ask myself a few of questions before deciding...
First, do I have a decent junk yard nearby ?
Second, are the CVs clicking and popping due to issues related to the torn boots ?
Third, are the splines shredded or not ? Easy enough to check...either way, the snap ring position for the Manual Hubs is further back on the spline than the Auto Hubs, so your splines would have to be in BAD shape to keep you from swapping in manuals.
Fourth, are you running with a lift kit ?

I have a few junk yards nearby, so I'd pull a set of Aisins off another rig, put the money saved on the lock-outs toward a new set of boots or half shafts as needed.
(My Aisins cost $30.00 and the time needed to find new snap rings after cleaning and repainting them)

Many guys will put a set of JY half shafts in their rig without blinking an eye, but I'ld rather not have to take the front end apart again any sooner than I have to.
Of course, if you're running a lift, you might as well get used to changing your CV boots, cause you'll be doing it again.

The lock outs are easy to come by and most are in great shape due to the fact that they hardly ever see any use from the owners who let them go to the yard.
In addition, both sides can be replaced inside of 10 minutes.
Either way, compared to the time and effort required to change out the half shafts, the answer becomes quite clear to me.

JMHO
I do have a decent JY nearby. They tell me they do have Zoos but I haven't been there yet to scope out all of the rigs. I am not hearing any clicking or popping coming from the CVs. If I have time tomorrow I will check out the ends of the splines. No lift kit yet but I do have intentions to shackle and crank TBs so I do know they will be torn again in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts