Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sad and this guy knows it too.
You can almost feel this trooper fighting his death with a will to live.
Kind of reminds me of putting down a good dog. :cry:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

WHY. WHY. WHY!!!!!!

I COULD HAVE SAVED IT!

this world sometimes.... disgust

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cash for clunkers was the dumbest [email protected]$%ING!!!! idea ever. Lets drive the prices of used cars up and destroy millions of dollars worth of parts. To bail out douchie car companies and try to get better gas mileage vehicles on the road? I read the statistics after like a year and everybody traded there clunker for a new SUV or truck because they could now afford it, or should I say put themselves in further debt. Rant over.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've watched a few of those Tax Money of Clunkers videos and it's so depressing to watch. Landcruisers and modern classics of all kinds with almost perfect bodies get burned up, then "Responsibly Recycled". How? Dismantled for spares? No, STACKED with forklifts and later sent to the crusher. Just flat out wrong and MY KIDS are paying for it. :evil:

And better yet, I had a friend that has a beater Pontiac Parisienne from the 80's and they wouldn't take it?!?! It was 6 months TOO OLD!?! I thought that was the whole point: to get rid of old gas guzzlers.

Just a crock all the way around. :x

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yeah that hurts, but this hurts me even more...

·
Registered
555 Posts
rodeo9two said:
Cash for clunkers was the dumbest [email protected]$%ING!!!! idea ever. Lets drive the prices of used cars up and destroy millions of dollars worth of parts. To bail out douchie car companies and try to get better gas mileage vehicles on the road? I read the statistics after like a year and everybody traded there clunker for a new SUV or truck because they could now afford it, or should I say put themselves in further debt. Rant over.
If that's the case,then it worked far better than you would have thought. They went out and bought ANOTHER car,and those cars they bought are now on the used market. The fear was that there would be a downturn in buying after the program ended but apparently not if what you say is true.

Why is it a bad idea to get vehicles with better gas mileage on the road. Regardless of whether you think alternative fuel sources or more drilling are the answer,neither is going to get us off the middle eastern oil in the short term,but every gallon we don't burn is a gallon we don't have to buy from our sworn enemies.

Personally,Im all for "bailouts" ,if necessary,and especially if you can put the money in at the bottom rather than handing it to the corporate fat cats. Cash for clunkers helped people get cars,and in turn helped hold up the car companies,rather than just handing them cash,propping up the companies but letting everyone at the dealerships the consumers end up at the soup kitchen line. Remember,its not just the car companies that got that money,it was the dealerships and the suppliers and everyone involved. I saw the damage in NE Ohio from the collapse of manufacturing industries first hand. It was ugly.

As for how the disabled the cars,that was pretty stupid. The problem was,it looks like the regulations were written by people that didnt have a good grasp on the situation. What they were trying to do was make sure the car could not be repaired by a dishonest salvager. Destroying the engine did not do that. What should have been specified is that the car be cut in half at the front doors with a saw. (I saw them do it at a demo at one of our suppliers. It took less than 5 minutes) (You certainly could use a torch if necessary. On a BOF vehicle like the trooper,that would be faster on the frame) In other words,why destroy perfectly good motors. Just make sure the car can never be drive again,then send it to the salvager. Presumably we would see lots of cars there in two halves and that would be that. The whole destroy the engine thing makes no sense.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Although the government did introduce this program as an incentive to crush your old car, no one forced the car owners to use the program. If the owner took the time a descent vehicle could probably have sold for more than the program offered. Some cars need to be crushed but some of the jewels in the hands of ignorant people do suffer.

People like us on these car forums would rather fix our clunkers rather than jump into huge payments of a new car and higher insurance rates that go with them. I did just that when I bought my $850 Trooper and put about $5000 into it. But hey its still a hell of a lot cheaper than a new car and I don't worry if the body gets scratched.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I don't see how anyone could view this program as beneficial. It set up the poorly managed companies to succeed by placing the burden on the people that drive clunkers (POOR PEOPLE!!!!). Don't worry, they will also (if they aren't already) be bailing out the repo man; there's a reason people couldn't afford a new car, and $1500 wasn't it... I bought a truck right around the time this thing was going down and my 3 year old Nissan truck has payments around $350/mo. So a NEW car that someone was going to buy would be more than that... poor people can't afford the $400+/mo AND gas... $400/mo would buy a lot of clunker gas, or repairs, or...?

I guess we are all going to pay for it... our taxes are going to the auto makers to the tune of $1500/ vehicle sold under this program, plus the bail out money, plus all the other prop-up-a-bad-thing programs. Its just that the poor people incurred personal debt during the process.... remember, there's a reason the people that this program was designed to help couldn't afford a new car...

·
Registered
677 Posts
The saddest thing I've ever watched. Beautiful trucks being destroyed for some stupid government deal that only puts people farther in debt.

Oh BTW, we get most of our foreign oil from South America, not the middle east. Oh well, most people will never figure out that our government is not on our side anymore.

·
Registered
555 Posts
johnnie59 said:
The saddest thing I've ever watched. Beautiful trucks being destroyed for some stupid government deal that only puts people farther in debt.

Oh BTW, we get most of our foreign oil from South America, not the middle east. Oh well, most people will never figure out that our government is not on our side anymore.
Oils oil,and it does not matter WHERE we buy our oil,if we buy it from Russia then the oil that we would have bought from the Saudis gets bought by the people that would have bought it from Russia. The point is,so long as we import oil,money goes to the middle east for oil. If we found another energy source and didnt have to import it,or found more oil,or natural gas or whatever,then we DONT buy oil and BILLIONS of dollars dont go to the middle east. They still sell the oil,but the price goes through the floor.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree about the BS that Cash for Clunkers was.

I was and still am a Jeep ZJ guy, I had to watch in horror as they did this same treatment to a Special Edition 1998 ZJ. Only made ONE year and it came with a 5.9L V8 as well as a bunch of other special features. Just painful...and asinine when you think about what was DESTROYED!!! Because some idiot didn't know what they had and the fact that it's worth hanging onto.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
You can't regulate stupidity! It is not the governments job to keep people out of debt. People need to live within their means. Do a simple calculation on how much is costs to run a new car including payments, insurance and gas. Even if the car gets 50mpg. It would take thousands upon thousands of miles for that new car to pay you back versus an old truck that gets 12mpg but is already owned outright.

There are some cases where cash for clunkers works fine. But I don't think the American or Canadian governments are doing a bad thing by offering the incentive to crush old beaters and get someone who take the time to figure out a budget into a new car they can afford.

Technically I could go and buy myself a new Corvette and still be within my budget. But that means I would never build my savings or pay off my house faster. So you decide the life you want. Lots of toys an living paycheck to paycheck to meet your payments. Or buy the things you can afford and make them last and live comfortably and maybe one day retire on a big nest egg. But its not the governments fault if your not smart with your money.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
betterthanyou said:
There are some cases where cash for clunkers works fine.
Yeah, the family that inherited a 1989 chevy truck that overheats after 10 minutes and isn't worth ****, so it sat in their backyard until this program came along. So that makes <1% of the people.

betterthanyou said:
But I don't think the American or Canadian governments are doing a bad thing by offering the incentive to crush old beaters and get someone who take the time to figure out a budget into a new car they can afford.
They are just dangling a carrot in front of the other 99%. They didn't do this for the smart and logical people; they don't need incentives.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
all the government had to do was to give the vehicles turned in an salvage title of sorts, then selling them at government style auctions for no more than $4k, that would generate jobs, help offset the cost of the program, and put money back in to the economy, but they know better, take a good vehicle, disable the motor, crush it and get pennies on the dollar for what they're worth it,but who cares? it's only the taxpayers money, there's more coming next year, hell i'd even be happier if those vehicles were sold to third world countries instead of being destroyed.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
tonnydoodles said:
all the government had to do was to give the vehicles turned in an salvage title of sorts, then selling them at government style auctions for no more than $4k, that would generate jobs, help offset the cost of the program, and put money back in to the economy, but they know better, take a good vehicle, disable the motor, crush it and get pennies on the dollar for what they're worth it,but who cares? it's only the taxpayers money, there's more coming next year, hell i'd even be happier if those vehicles were sold to third world countries instead of being destroyed.
Hear hear.

Worth repeating.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
What bugs me the most regarding the cash for clunkers ordeal is that it totally got rid of a type of vehicle price point that some people can only afford. I feel like it will only be found to have done more damage than good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.