Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post an update for all of you that were so helpful when I posted about my 16-year-old daughter totalling her 1988 Trooper.

Well, after careful evaluation and a trip to the frame guy, we decided that it was going to cost too much to repair everything. We could also not eliminate the worry that there were some little hidden things that may have been busted in the crash and would cause problems later. The frame guy said the frame was ok but the "apron" (?) attached to the frame would need straightening. The estimate for this work alone was over $1000.

I would have considered taking a look at kuranosuke's Trooper in Oregon because it is only a few hours away but it is a manual. So...I went out to the internet looking for a replacement. Found a handful of candidates in the area. Sent my ex and his buddies out to scout them out.

We found another 1988 Trooper in good shape and bought it this morning. :D Now the work begins. My ex is going to swap out some stuff from the totaled one to the "new" one and do a complete tune-up before turning it over to my daughter. Then we are going to make her drive with one of us for awhile before letting her out on her own again. My daughter isn't happy with all the restrictions but she is very excited to be driving another "vintage" Trooper. Only a 16 year old can think of a 1988 as vintage!

I'm glad to have found this site because I'm sure we will still need info on fixing things and locating parts.

Kacey

·
Registered
256 Posts
Congrats Kacey! I'm truly happy for you that everything worked out. Good luck with the new truck. Tell your daughter to keep it on all fours with the shiny side up for me... :D

-Jon

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I were you I would part the car out is is sometimes difficult to find parts for these older troopers. You probably could make 2 or 300 bucks back just selling things like the distributor and the main control module(computer) that is unless you plan on keeping these parts. Good Luck

lettelleir
89 trooper - I like to call it rusty:)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Incidentally, you may want to check the option plate on both Troopers. It's on the firewall on the passenger side in the engine compartment.

Specifically, look for a code that say's "G80" If either Trooper has this code, then it has the LSD option which is quite desirable. If the wrecked Trooper has this, then you may want to seriously consider exhanging rear ends as the LSD is far more valuable.

To explore all the option codes and event the VIN, you can go here: http://www.itog.com

If not, and the LSD clutches are in good shape, then you can sell that sucker to recoup some coin :lol:

Hey, I need a door hinge :shock: Front driver's side upper, what'll you let me have your old one for 8) If the door wasn't 'popping' everytime you tried to close it, the hinge is still in good shape, mine is shot and the pins are bent. - door won't close :cry:

Cheers,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Kacey...do kids nowadays see these vintage Troopers as "cool"? Or just your daughter?
I'm just curious...I honestly believe that someday soon, 1st Gen. Troopers are going to be cool and desirable with the GenY crowd.
Part of my logic lies in the existence of the extremely ATDC Scion Xb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don....we haven't made any decisions yet about parting out the totalled Trooper. When we do I'll post info here. First my ex and his buddies need to have the time to swap some stuff around between the two Troopers.
Thanks for the info on checking out the option plate.

Phil... Without exception all of my daughter's friends that saw her Trooper thought it was "cool". One friend drives a 1989 Trooper and another drives a 1988 Cherokee. Most of the kids drive small economy type cars or small pickup trucks. There are also a lot of kids that drive older Jeeps. Any of her guy friends that drive something small have said they would trade her in a heart beat. It might help you to know that the area we live in is more conservative small town atmosphere than big city. So opinions about this car might be different for city kids. Many of my daughter's friends are into sports, hiking, camping, etc. They see her Trooper as the perfect vehicle for camping trips. (She doesn't have the ok from me to do this however!) Hope this is helpful to you!

Kacey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.