Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope everyone is well. I went to leave work yesterday in my 1996 Trooper. Turn the key and all dash light come on but no start. It does not start with a jump. The starter does not engage. I can hear a click in the main fuse box under the hood when I turn the key but nothing else. Anyone one else have this before? Bad starter relay? Thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts
First off, how do the battery posts and clamps look? Any corrosion... are they tight? Sometimes the starter gets jammed, so you can turn the engine over a little with a breaker bar to free it up just incase. But yes in all likelihood it's the starter relay, solenoid, or starter motor itself. You could try (at your own risk) tapping each of these components lightly with a small hammer in case they got stuck in place.

Reactions: Kstruss

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, how do the battery posts and clamps look? Any corrosion... are they tight? Sometimes the starter gets jammed, so you can turn the engine over a little with a breaker bar to free it up just incase. But yes in all likelihood it's the starter relay, solenoid, or starter motor itself. You could try (at your own risk) tapping each of these components lightly with a small hammer in case they got stuck in place.
Thanks. Battery is new and cables clean. I’ll try these.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
Are you getting any click from the starter area (starter solenoid)? Reason I ask, many of these starters have the 3 screw solenoid cover. These starters are notorious for having the contact (inside) erode to the point that it doesn't make contact. I believe there are repair kits available for this. It is a pain in the rear to remove the 3.2 starters. Dennis

Reactions: Kstruss

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you getting any click from the starter area (starter solenoid)? Reason I ask, many of these starters have the 3 screw solenoid cover. These starters are notorious for having the contact (inside) erode to the point that it doesn't make contact. I believe there are repair kits available for this. It is a pain in the rear to remove the 3.2 starters. Dennis
I’ll look for a rebuild kit. It is definitely the starter and you have drop the exhaust and all to get it. Yes, pain in the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts