Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I drove home and parked my trooper. It drove perfect yesterday. Today the motor would only crank.

Is it safe to assume that my fuel is dead based on the following trouble shoot process:

1. turn key, motor spins and spins and spins. does not even try to start.

2. check fuel pump fuses. all ok

3. jumper fuel pump relay. same result as #1.

4. check spark at plug. ok

5. check for fuel at return line from fuel rail. fuel leaks out, but no pressure in line.

6. pour fuel into intake before TB via vacuum hose. cranks, then sputters to life for a second or so, then goes back to condition in #1.

7. pull fuel line between filter and regulator, crank motor. just a dribble of fuel.

8. pull fuel line between tank and filter, crank motor. no fuel. (I think the dribble I saw in #6 was just fuel left in the filter...it holds a surprising volume)

Based on the above, the only other thing I can think of is that someone siphoned out all my gas. Sadly, I cant check that, because my gas gauge does not work...that's what I get for being lazy about changing out the sender. So,

9. add a couple of gallons of gas and try again. still no fuel out of fuel line.

The one aspect that seems a little odd is that the motor never even tried to fire today. I would have thought that the residual fuel between the pump and the motor would have at least let me get out of the driveway before sputtering to a stop. Or maybe I cruised home yesterday on fumes and a tail wind.

So, again, is it safe to assume that my fuel pump is toast based on the above?

Did I miss anything obvious?

I don't wanna drop my tank, swap the pump, sender and filter (might as well) only to find out it was something else completely.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Perhaps fuel pump or perhaps the electrical connector (multi wire) as it approaches the tank (passenger side / front of tank). The large connector is known to get corroded and break/disable the hot wire to the pump. I believe the wire color of interest is red. If you know there are a couple of gallons of gas in the tank, the sending unit wire could also be bad at the same location.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Go to http://www.myisuzuparts.com/ and enter this part number (8-94310-690-0) in the upper left window. Proceed from there. That p/n may/may not be current. The nomenclature of the sending unit is listed as "UNIT; FUEL TANK,SUB".

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shooter said:
Perhaps fuel pump or perhaps the electrical connector (multi wire) as it approaches the tank (passenger side / front of tank). The large connector is known to get corroded and break/disable the hot wire to the pump. I believe the wire color of interest is red. If you know there are a couple of gallons of gas in the tank, the sending unit wire could also be bad at the same location.
I owe you big time!

I just checked the connectors and wouldn't you know it: no corrosion, but when I checked to see if they were seated, one of em clicked into place. Popped the hoses back on and it fired right up!!!

Wow! Thanks for pointing out something that I totally totally missed.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump. I don't know exactly what's going on but I've been replacing fuel pumps on a monthly basis lately. I don't know if they're putting something in the gas but I've replaced the fuel pump in every Trooper I've got in the last couple months and in 2 twice... I've pulled so many gas tanks in the last 2 months that I've got what looks like a herd of skid plates and fuel tanks in my Trooper junkyard. I'm done with this crap which brings me to my own post (carb advice needed) My suggestion would be to 1)drain the tank and get any possible water out because I've been told that water will destroy a fuel pump in a heart beat 2) go ahead and cut the hole in the rear floor because more than likely you're going to need to replace the fuel pump again in a few thousand miles. If you want pictures and measurements of where to cut send me a PM and I'll send you an email or post a thread.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i just went thu with same thing i had put in two pumps it ended a bad ground wire in harness what i did was run a new ground wire. for the pump. today now runs good.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
chuffer said:
shooter said:
I owe you big time!

I just checked the connectors and wouldn't you know it: no corrosion, but when I checked to see if they were seated, one of em clicked into place. Popped the hoses back on and it fired right up!!!

Wow! Thanks for pointing out something that I totally totally missed.
Sweet. Glad to see you got it. :D

As much as I curse the internet, I love it beyond whatever. Enables folks to help one another regardless of geographic location. Simpy incredible.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Selador AKA Tat said:
Did that fix the sending unit as well ?
Nah. I am pretty sure that they are completely unrelated circuits.

Not too worried about the gas gauge. I figure I can get at least 300 miles before I need to fill up. Speaking of which, how many miles are folks getting between fills?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
chuffer said:
Selador AKA Tat said:
Did that fix the sending unit as well ?
Nah. I am pretty sure that they are completely unrelated circuits.

Not too worried about the gas gauge. I figure I can get at least 300 miles before I need to fill up. Speaking of which, how many miles are folks getting between fills?
Unrelated circuit; same harness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts