Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Acura SLX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello fellow Zookeepers. I introduced myself the other day, but finally have a question:
1996 Acura SLX aka trooper. I'm replacing the CV joints. There was not a wire clip or ring holding this piece:
Automotive tire Sculpture Automotive wheel system Flooring Bumper

Into the cup:
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Bicycle part

I was underneath the impression there is supposed to be something holding the apple in the cup. Is this available anywhere? Is it necessary?
Thanks so much, Brooks

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Don't know availability, but yes, there is supposed to be a wire ring that holds it in place. With a STOCK drivetrain, you could probably get by without it, but better to have it while you have things apart. Dennis

·
Registered
1996 Acura SLX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was one of those things things that when I realized the rings were missing, I thought "Oh no! Whatever shall I do?"
But then I remembered that this has probably been driven a long time without the rings. And I had to remove the tie rod and one of the ball joints and then really had to pull and get the CV joint just oriented perfectly to come out of the cup.

So it is probably going back together without the retaining rings. Thanks!

·
Registered
479 Posts
The ring is only there to stop the joint from coming apart during shipping and assembly of the vehicle at the factory. When the axle is installed there is not enough room for the axle to come apart. the Joint does not come anywhere close to riding that far out to the edge. If yours is missing no need to worry, just install the axle as normal

·
Registered
1996 Acura SLX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ring is only there to stop the joint from coming apart during shipping and assembly of the vehicle at the factory. When the axle is installed there is not enough room for the axle to come apart. the Joint does not come anywhere close to riding that far out to the edge. If yours is missing no need to worry, just install the axle as normal
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts