Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since im on a bit of a budget with this thing, im trying to get the most out of my auto hubs for now which work great untill i break one., last trip wheelin both of the retainer clips came off and let the CVs wander out and trashed both the outer joints by the time i got back to camp. i had it apart the day before to clean up the hubs, grease, and repack the wheel bearings and squeezed the clips shut before reinstalling them to make sure they fit tight, but they still let go after a few hours of some really twisty stuff and started to bind & pop as the wheels got stuffed up. Is there any certain trick anyone does to help keep them in place? im thinking i might just put the new CV in the lathe and machine the groove deeper and find a better snap ring.
Any tips are welcome, im a really good mechanic but new to the isuzu stuff, so just point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess im on my own lol
Ill figure something out.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You are not alone but may be no one has figured out a cure. Mine did that a couple of times never ruined the CV but it did take the end off the axle and I was forced to go to a manual hub. There are 2 grooves the outer for auto ,inner for manual. Your idea of a deeper groove may work or you might want to go to manual hubs. They call for I think a 26mm snap ring which is 1& 1/16 but I found that an inch worked better. DAVE

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You are not alone but may be no one has figured out a cure. Mine did that a couple of times never ruined the CV but it did take the end off the axle and I was forced to go to a manual hub. There are 2 grooves the outer for auto ,inner for manual. Your idea of a deeper groove may work or you might want to go to manual hubs. They call for I think a 26mm snap ring which is 1& 1/16 but I found that an inch worked better. DAVE

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i guess ill give that a try and see how long it holds up. Im not a fan of auto hubs but just rebuilt the entire front end and dont wanna pour much more into it just yet. I think i have some 24mm snap rings at the shop that might do the trick.

·
Registered
827 Posts
It should be replaced with new, I know the majority of folk do not replace them but they should for the reasons your experiencing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Guess everyone else is out playing this weekend...I, on the other hand, am waiting for my in-laws to arrive for their customary two week summer vacation...:shock:

If I was buying new half shafts, I'd grab a set of manual hubs from the J-Yard before I started cutting on my new half shafts.
Most of the manuals hubs you'll find in the yard are in fine shape b/c they were rarely (if ever) used by the previous owner.

My junk yard Aisins were much cheaper than new ones, took me 15 minutes to pull them from the donor truck, a half hour to disassemble and clean them, a little time to paint them, and another 15 minutes to swap them onto my rig.
Go with the 26mm or 1" snap rings when you make the swap though...they might take a little more convincing to install, but they'll stay put until you want them off.

PM me if you don't have a decent yard in your area, and I'll see if I can track down a set for ya next time I make the rounds.
:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we have a ton of yards, my problem is i always have to be at the shop and can never get to them during business hours.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maybe one of our Ohio brothers can help you out the next time they head to the JY ?
Hint, hint...
Either way, I'll keep a look out for a set of Aisins for ya.

:lol:

·
Registered
199 Posts
dont know if you resolved this yet but i would assume a 24 mm snap ring would not really work unless you turn down the outer, 1 inch snap ring = 25.4 mm snap ring and that is tight

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i found some 24mm circlips out of a transmission in the shop, little bit of convincing they went on tight. i dont think its gonna come off now. if i can figure out what they came out of they seem like theyd make a good fix, larger outer diameter than the stock one.
im going for back surgery next month then will be down for 6 weeks, after that maybe ill pick up some aisins or superwinch or whatever i come across. i prefer maual over auto, just being cheap :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts