Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Disgustingly clean, IMO :wink:

(says the guy who was just under his Trooper with dried mud raining on him every time he touched something...)

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
BigSwede said:
Disgustingly clean, IMO :wink:

(says the guy who was just under his Trooper with dried mud raining on him every time he touched something...)
:lol:

I swept a good amount of dirt off the floor before reassembly.. it wasn't so pretty before, I promise. This poor truck was beaten to piss by the previous owner; so it deservers a little lovin'. That and I like being able to stop.

Here's a before shot: (the hubs were installed more recently of course)

That's all just from the last Beasley trip; what didn't clean off - I spent forever cleaning the suspension last time when I did the BJ flip and tire rods.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The difference in CV axle cup sizes has to do with country of origin: Taiwanese axles are not compatible with trucks of Japanese manufacture. If your VIN starts with JA then you have a Japanese truck.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not sure I'm following you.. The trooper my replacment axle came from is a Japanese built truck.

My truck truck is an american built truck. Both had the same size CV axles. :?: :?:

·
Registered
188 Posts
A nice feature to keep in mind - left and right half-axles are the same part. One CV axle will fit both sides. One can spot the Japanese and Taiwan CV axles by looking at the plunge end of the joint, with the balls/cage exposed. The Taiwan part has a cage that is fatter on the inboard side, the Japan part has a cage that is the same diameter on both sides.

Had I taken pictures of my last CV joint job, in which I was given one Japan CV joint and one Taiwan CV joint, I could with pictures so incredibly show the difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm about do half shaft replacements on my 93 Amigo. Before ordering parts is there anyway to make sure i would be getting the correct part...or will it be a trial and error type of situation??. Thanks

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The first question is if you really need to replace it or not.. the boots can be replaced and the CVs repacked if they are in ok shape.

If you do need to go and replace them.. you're best with the OEM ones and if you read the last couple posts you should be able to gather enough information to see what kind you have or need.

Rockauto.com has some good prices on them and are descriptive about which is which.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll look them up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bumping cause I need to do this job soon :)

·
Registered
1996 Acura SLX
18 Posts
Yes!! I just changed my CV joint half shafts in a 96 troops after watching this video a couple of times. My rookie mistake: not supporting the lower control arm after I took everything apart. I just had the wheel/rotor assembly hanging on the lower ball joint and I installed the CV joint and put the boot on and then let it go and the CV joint pulled so far out that it put a little tear in the boot. So, support the lower control arm and everything goes back together a lot easier.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts