Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my rear bumper is kind of jacked up right now and I am tossing the idea around of making my own rear bumper. I am wanting a really basic bumper design with two tow points with the possibility of adding a tow hitch later on.
It would be pretty much the same as this one from Indy4x:

I am thinking a 4 inch by 2 inch rectangular piece of steel that I would weld caps over on the end and then mount it. I think a 6x2 would be too wide but I would need to take some measurements. Also wondering what wall thickness I would need...1/4 inch is a bit much? Wall thickness is my biggest question.
I am not ready to build this yet, just looking for some ideas, anyone do something this basic? Or if someone has a drivers bumper end cap they want to get rid of ;) I will take that temporarily until i build this.
Feel free to post up your custom rear bumper set-ups.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Looks like you have a good plan, that's the start.

I think the bumper you listed would look best on a pickup or Trooper, guess it depends on the look you are going for. For a Passport you might consider some side plates to tie into the existing body contours plus the added protection they'll provide.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That bumper is actually for a Trooper. I really like basic designs though, could add on some little extensions later on but it would mainly be for looks. I am mainly interested in trails and overlanding, not too in to crawling so I think a basic rear bumper for towing and be snatched out is the most important.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well found three pieces of steel, 4x4 1/4 inch thickness. I think it is way overkill for a rear bumper on the passport not to mention it weighs a ton. Think I may try and take it in to the steel shop and have them swap my for a 4x2 in a thinner gauge metal. This could be the beginnings of a rear bumper for me!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts

This was how I ended up doing my bumpers I had found a pic of one similar on the web and went from there. I used I want to say 6x6 so I could do the cut outs for the tire and license plate.

This is my own design for the front bumper it's 1/8 in. To keep it lighter

I still am not happy with the mount systom it's probly not strong enough for my winch :( I just don't wanna mess up the frame.
Good job on that trooper bumper lots of work involved!!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I used 3"x6" 1/4" on my bumper. It does double duty as an airtank for my ARB locker and tires. Also supports my swing out tire carrier / gas can.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a really nice size, that is essentially what I want mine to look like minus swing out carrier. I am re-thinking the 2x4 size now. Do you think the 1/4 inch thickness is a good fit for the rear bumper?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
After both my rear doors started stress cracking. I had to get the weight off the doors. And yes 1/4" doesn't seem like overkill, it has taken some hard hits with only minor dents.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I forgot to mention the thicknes of my rear bumper material I went the next avalable thickness down from 1/4" to 3/16" it's still stout and it saved on extra weight. I can still pull it off myself lol. That's another cool bumper design on your trooper. Did you Do a front one??

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I would like to go with 3/16...seems like a good in between size. I also want my bumper to be the weak link, not my frame. My thoughts are if I do go that thick, if it hits something really hard then it would crumple the frame before the bumper.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Twits kind of a catch twenty two strong for off roading yet can take a hit. I got hit in my old amigo (rearended) and it bent the bumper and sheered the bolts. Didn't hurt the frame. I fixed the bumper with a big trackhoe pushed it back lol. It was channel with another plate below and it still bent.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maxwell417 said:
I used 3"x6" 1/4" on my bumper. It does double duty as an airtank for my ARB locker and tires. Also supports my swing out tire carrier / gas can.

How much air are you able to put in there? What kind of pressure do you hold? Enough to fill up a flat tire? I have seen more of this recently and it really interests me, I dont plan on putting onboard air on anytime soon but for the future might as well plan right.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Bumper air tank holds about 4 gallons. I have a Viair 450c continuous duty mounted under the hood, it does and awesome job on 35" tires.

I build my front bumper too, cut up a old bumper to make it look better. Easy to remove for more serious obstacles :D

^ pre SAS

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I am just going to use the 4x4 1/4 inch thick steel I have. I just need to figure out how I want to do it. I have two options:
A: I can make it more inboard by recessing it in between the rear points on the rear quarters. I really like this idea and it would really keep it slim and the weight down. The only con I can see to this is that it wouldnt protect the rear quarter panels. It would also be easy to just weld to the frame horns in a few spots. This way it wouldnt stick out a lot and would mean less leverage for a future receiver hitch.
B: Extend it out a few inches from the rear which would mean it would probably stick out two inches further than the stock bumper and cover the rear quarter panels. I think this would look bulky and add on an extra foot to foot and a half of material. Ill use paint to show you guys what I am thinking...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are the two lengths I am thinking of.

A is red and B is blue. This is just to show lengths of the bumpers. Obviously blue will need to be more outboard.
I guess the primary purpose of this bumper would be to have a strong recovery point and for a future receiver hitch point. Not too much for protection but that would be a bonus.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
After smashing out two sets of tail lights on my 91 amigo :shock: I opted for corner protection... :D I don't like crunch sounds very much !!! There usually followed by a few choice words of cursing lol.... :x

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bradzuzu said:
After smashing out two sets of tail lights on my 91 amigo :shock: I opted for corner protection... :D I don't like crunch sounds very much !!! There usually followed by a few choice words of cursing lol.... :x
I really like the bumper you have but I dont have the fab skills to do that and also just want to use what I already have. Maybe I should make it longer but also angle cut it kind of like \_______/ That would give a little extra protection I think. I wish I knew how to weld better. I dont trust my welds to mount this bumper, going to have to pay someone to do it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts