Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Custom bumper build, First Gen

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hessmess 
#1 ·
Haven't fab'd in years and really wanted to see if I still could. Played hooky, ran to town and bought steel, refilled some tanks at the welding supply place, another stop for a bandsaw blade, and one more to pick up this sweet (sarcasm) winch from harbor freight...the price was right lol.

The main structure is 2x4x3/16" tube, winch plate is 1/4" plate, round tube is all 1-3/4x.120 wall. Tread plate on top is 1/8". Actually bought material to build two of these at once and will hopefully sell the second...maybe I'll buy a better winch lol. I forgot how much of a workout it is bending .120 wall tube with a manual bender. Will be adding a front receiver and shackle mounts as well...maybe lights too?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Don't knock the HF winches, other than Warn I'd put them up against most others! I'm 53, and have built MANY wheelers. HF is pretty much what I put on all of mine now. 2 Land Cruiser 80's, and my 89 Trooper and they haven't let me down yet! I've junked Mile Marker, Smittybuilt and a Come Up...... all trash next to the HF!

#6 ·
I have the 12K HF winch on mine, works great, many uses and didn't hurt to buy. The only thing that gave me issues was the circuit breaker bank that came with it. About the second time I used it, they kept popping and wouldn't let the winch work. Took then off and haven't had an issue since. I keep thinking I should come up with a circuit breaker of some sort but haven't followed through. Theirs were a bank of 3 in series and at least one of them kept popping and killing the circuit.
I like the bumper, I plan on starting one for myself in the spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.