Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got Shabbas old RS and it didnt sound right. i bought it for parts so its not a big concern, but the motor has 32k on it and the #4 cylinder has 60psi, WET OR DRY. burned valve? no steam out the tailpipe, oil is clean...#3 cylinder has 158 psi so its not chamber to chamber Head gasket. the motor is coming out but wanted to avoid a Head Gasket if possible. ideas? he drove it here from Richmond (360 miles) and it runs good but just has a stumble and feel the miss in it.
thanks
Ron

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
You'd think a burned valve would either fart through the intake or out the exhaust, but you'd also think rings or cylinder scored would show an increase in compression wet.
Mine, I'd check the valve adjustment, eye ball the cam lobes, then bite the bullet and pull the head.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah its popping out the tailpipe. but #4 exhaust valve burned?? its almost #3 all the time :)
the RS is getting parted since its rotted out and have ALOT of parts pending sales off it....so the motor is coming out. MUCH easier to work on out of the truck. i have to leave it mobile until i get rid of the truck in the garage now and then it will go in there for final disassembly. ill pull the battery first so she wont feel any pain :(

·
Registered
492 Posts
That sounds odd. Truck has been running fantastic since I bought it so who knows...

So there won't be any saving it huh? :(

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah, the floor is rotted out also in the back. shes too far gone. im going to adjust the exhaust valve on the #4 cylinder see if its that....no big deal if i have to put in a valve and head gasket. the rest of the motor is good, high compression, so it was going to come out one way or another. glad you guys made it back OK...

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Jasper rebuilt Isuzu engine?

That's your problem right there.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ruination said:
Jasper rebuilt Isuzu engine?

That's your problem right there.
never had an issue with Jasper, and it has 32k on it. Colin gave me ALL the receipts for it. either the valve was defective or over/under adjusted and burnt. i have the valves here new, just sucks because i hate doing head gaskets. The motor will be out to do it, as i want the AC Compressor for my spacecab. this ac works so i know the compressor is good (a 100/savings on used compressor or 200 new...its all on how you look at it)
:)

Ron

i got your motor pics and the cab has to come off to get the motor out. the 25th is looking to be the day to meet in Hickory....few people meeting me for larger parts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
That truck sat a long time in Balti before shabba got it. I would not be surprised if a valve is sticking sometimes in it. Or maybe just not closing all the way. Run some Rislone through it in the oil and check the valve adjustment on that cylinder. Valve doesn't have to be burned to hang a little. Remove the valve cover and work both valves in that cylinder by hand. They should move fine if you put a rag on it and lean on the rocker with your hand. You should be able to feel it close hard it it's snapping back in the the seat properly. Might run some spray sea foam in the intake while it's running.

If a valve is sitting a long time and open to the air. Sometimes the deposits on the stem get hard and gunky exposed to moisture. I've had this happen to small engines several times. Things like log splitters that sit most of the time.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
squatch said:
That truck sat a long time in Balti before shabba got it. I would not be surprised if a valve is sticking sometimes in it. Or maybe just not closing all the way. Run some Rislone through it in the oil and check the valve adjustment on that cylinder. Valve doesn't have to be burned to hang a little. Remove the valve cover and work both valves in that cylinder by hand. They should move fine if you put a rag on it and lean on the rocker with your hand. You should be able to feel it close hard it it's snapping back in the the seat properly. Might run some spray sea foam in the intake while it's running.

If a valve is sitting a long time and open to the air. Sometimes the deposits on the stem get hard and gunky exposed to moisture. I've had this happen to small engines several times. Things like log splitters that sit most of the time.
yeah i have to leave it mobile until its in the garage for disassembly. i figured a 350 mile drive, it should have cleared it if it was sticking. no ticking so the valve lash is either too tight or perfect with a burnt valve. its ok, im not upset, the truck is here, Colins home, and i have my 4.77s (double checked the ID Tag, has the big tire package, so it has 4.77s) and a parts truck that will make its money back (and then some for my hard work) and i have spares to boot!!

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts