Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
So i had my brother in law purchase an '89 2.6L Trooper XS in LA which i will be flying out to pick up and then attempt to drive across the country to Maine. Also, I'll be towing a trailer with some heavy items that i need to move form my old storage unit in Sonoma, CA.

Now I see that the Trooper has a slot for a tow hitch, but I haven't purchased one yet. Any recommendations? Aditinionally I have been unable to find the listed towing capacity online, anyone know?

And if anyone has any good tips for nice camp sites not far from I 80 along the way let me know! will be attempting to do this trip in early October without statying in any motels.

thanks!
-Johan

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Do you have any history on the Trooper? Maintenance? If you don't have records of last valve adjustment, head retorquing, timing belt check, this COULD be a recipe for disaster.
As I recall, there is like a 3,000 LB towing capacity (maybe more). A former member here (*******) used to tow Troopers (with one of his Troopers) across country all the time. Dennis

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any history on the Trooper? Maintenance? If you don't have records of last valve adjustment, head retorquing, timing belt check, this COULD be a recipe for disaster.
As I recall, there is like a 3,000 LB towing capacity (maybe more). A former member here (***) used to tow Troopers (with one of his Troopers) across country all the time. Dennis
I've had a mechanic actually work on it and do any necessary maintenance preemptively for this trip. Spent almost 3k actually (yikes). So it should be running fine. But there's always a risk, in which case you'll see me back on here pleading to find a mechanic someplace in Kansas.

Good to hear it's like 3,000 lb towing, that should cover the trailer weight easily. How fast I'll be able to cruise is another story 😝.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,168 Posts
Highest elevation along I 80 is somewhere around 8500 ft. Going up towing a trailer will be lots of 3rd gear pulling. Just keep an eye on the engine temp. The Isuzu 2.6 doesn't respond well to over heating. Before taking that long a trip the cooling system should be checked along with the other engine maintenance mentioned.

Reactions: wowblox

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Highest elevation along I 80 is somewhere around 8500 ft. Going up towing a trailer will be lots of 3rd gear pulling. Just keep an eye on the engine temp. The Isuzu 2.6 doesn't respond well to over heating. Before taking that long a trip the cooling system should be checked along with the other engine maintenance mentioned.
Good info, thanks!

Yea, the mechanic in LA did a complete look at the trooper and when i told him what i was planning to do he fixed stuff accordingly, the cooling system he looked at. replaced the front axle, new sending unit, new tires, fixed hole in the coolant reservoir. So i feel pretty good about it. I will also drive it from LA to SF without the trailer and so i can get a sense if any issues pop up before i head east.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Oh, by LA you mean Los Angeles and not Louisana. I was pretty confused about this planned road trip to Maine that peels off to California.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think 3000 pounds is right. I used my 89 to go 1000 miles from the Oregon coast to Phoenix, AZ. The 89 was loaded up to the roof with our belongings, and I was towing my 86 behind with a tow bar. In 112 degree weather, I had to climb some hills, going 45 in 3rd gear but never had any issues. The Trooper did fine. I would watch your temp and oil pressure. I would also look for rust on the tow hitch which is usually boltet to the rear bumper and check the bolts that hold it. That is a long trip! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The first gen troopers with the 2.8L & 2.6L engines are all Class 1 hitch. Class 1 hitch is 300Lbs tounge weight with a max of 3500Lbs towing capasity. I live in the Lake Tahoe/Reno area & can confirm these first gen Troopers are under powered pigs and dont fair well in this area, expecially with a trailer. If you are driving over the Sierra Nevada Mountains on HWY 80, 49 &/or 108, you will start your trip near sea-level drive all up hill for 2.5 to 3 hours until you reach the summit which is depending on route, up to 8,600 feet in elevation. Your average speed for this section with a fully loaded vehicle will be 35-ish MPH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Shawn, yes I made it up over the sierras on 80 2 days ago and it was like you said; 35 mph in 3rd gear. The next day I went from Nevada over just outside Salt Lake City, also lots of 3rd gear. After the first night camping in the Nevada high dessert the trooper was blowing a bunch of smoke on the cold start in the morning. Not so much this morning after camping in UT.

In salt Lake I filled up the trooper with 85 octane instead of 87, figured it would help with the elevation and loss of power. I filled up the oil with 250ml since I noticed the oil pressure is down a smidge from when I started my drive in LA. Must be burning some oil but not a crazy amount.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here’s some photos from the trip, first near Donner Pass...
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

This is north of Salt Lake City at a great campsite on a reservoir, Rockport state park I think?
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Visited my friend in Sonoma who just got a Land Cruiser Prado from 1994 JDM import. Thing looks sweet. Almost like a trooper
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Plant Vehicle registration plate
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts