Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm not sure if anyone reads the section, but I wanted to share anyway.

As some of you know, my wife recently bought me a 94 ford ranger 4x4. It has the 3.0 v6, manual trans, cold AC, and other stuff. Im beginning to think the 4wd doesn't work. It has the push button 4wd system. Did the second small shifter bother ford so much that they thought all the CRAP was necessary??? By CRAP, I mean relays, switches, and this stupid "electric transfer case shift motor".......[FACEPALM]... anyway, I put it in 4lo in a sandy area, crawled about 30 feet to let the auto hubs engage, and popped the clutch while watching the front tire....nada. It didn't move and the rear tire was spinning in the sand. The lights on the dash came on and didn't blink. The transfer case is apparently okay because I definitely felt the gear reduction. I drove one mile or less back home and got out. Something told me to touch the hubs....they were both HOT!!! I'm assuming the auto Hubs are SHOT!! Oh well....

Well I decided that I need something to play around in while my first gen trooper II is trying to find me. I guess I'll play with the ranger. You know, CHEAP STUFF.

First off, I had to get rid of these BUTT UGLY rims:

So I worked my Craigslist magic today while in Baltimore and sourced these for $60

apparently they fit my ranger.

And all this time I thought I'd do a torsion bar lift in front just enough to level out the back.... That would be easy IF IT HAD TORSION BARS!!! geez....

But there is a cheap way to lift it. The ford guys call it the "washer lift"
Pretty cheap but not very easy.

After I lift it, I'm taking the buckshots off EL CHEAPO, painting the jeep wheels, put them on the ranger. Then I'll back up and say "hmmm"...

I'll probably source a newly painted push bar from this ISUZU I've got sitting in my yard:

HEY!!! I HAVE A LOT OF TIME INVESTED IN THAT THING! Y'all didn't really think I'd let EL CHEAPO's new owner have it did you??? Dont judge me!! :D

Anyway, what do y'all think? (be nice)

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's a ranger, what is there to really say? They aren't bad little trucks, but there have been better. I think if you get it sorted out it could be a decent little daily driver/runabout.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts