Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal, please tell me if I need to worry. This is a 2.6 carb'd engine in an 86 Trooper. I have no idea how many miles are on the engine, it came from a salvage yard.

I was running 10w30 oil. After it warmed up, it would reach about 8-10 psi per 1000 rpm but the oil pressure light would come on and stay on. Maybe it would go out if I revved the engine up to 4000. So, I figured maybe the oil pickup screen was a little plugged up.

After searching around on the forum, I put a quart of ATF in the oil to scrub out the engine and then changed the oil to straight 30 weight. The pressure is a little better 10+ psi per hundred now, but the crazy light still flickers like a Christmas tree light gone wrong.

Am I missing something here? Should I be worried? Anybody ever change the oil pump on one of these?

Not sure if it matters, but the oil pan is a little bent from hitting something. Not too bad, but noticable.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would bust out a volt meter and start wiggling wires as well before thinkin its mechanical. Sounds like it could be electrical.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like I was leaking oil through the oil pressure switch somehow. I changed the switch, the light went off and the oil leak went away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.