Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
I don't get it... what do you mean, please tell? Everything is there. Trooper diesel, Tallahassee, link to Cragslist... what are you missing?

This guy posted to my forum this afternoon. I just got in to find the post. So it's sold? Good for him. There was no description this morning either. The Trooper just died and I guess they didn't want to put in any more money. You know what it costs to rebuild these motors.

· Registered
207 Posts
In my younger days, I would have negotiated the price on the phone and gotten out on the road with a trailer an hour later for a road trip to pick up that little Trooper. That would be a 24 hour trip for me one way.

I personally think all the Trooper II 2.23 TD's should be saved but that's just me. Even if they are not running. I really envy those guys like Jerry Lemond and Johnny 5 who have acres of land to store Troopers on. At one time I had five Trooper II's in my driveway. Only one was running. Livin' the dream...

Some years back, I followed the progress on a rebuild of a 2.23 motor and it got really expensive. I think it would have been easier to get a JDM 3.1 Bighorn TD off ebay with all the bits to drop in.

I don't think Gene will have a hard time selling the Trooper if the first buyer backed out.

· Registered
207 Posts
86 Isuzu Trooper diesel for sale in Tallahassee, FL.

http://tallahassee.craiglist.org/cto/4465449212.html

Just heard from Gene, this 86 Trooper diesel is still for sale. $1200.

Here is his info:
Gene

I have no dog in this fight, just trying to get this Trooper rehabbed and to a good home.

· Registered
207 Posts
Probably a military fatality. The son could have been stationed out of Virgina.

· Registered
207 Posts
More info from Gene. My last post on this, promise. Enough info to call if you're interested. On the youtube video he talks about some motor noises right before it died and he pulled over. I'd want to see some photos of the motor to determine if it was upgraded by Isuzu with the better rods. Usually, if the external EGR catch tank was installed on the inner passenger wheel well then the factory upgrade was completed. I sure a lot of you already know this, but Isuzu did a recall on the motor when they started blowing up or dying and replaced them. That big plastic EGR recovery canister the size of a toaster was part of the "fix." Part of the attempt to minimize the "coking" in the EGR system that caused the problem. VW Jetta's/TDi's had the same issues. I cleaned out my EGR recovery pipe on a used 2001 Jetta I bought. Was supposed to be over 2" clear and it was so coked I could hardly get a straw through it.

Jesse

-----------Last message from Gene--------------------
"Updated pics and video. Sorry so long to post these, has been a crazy
week on a new job with no transportation except my bicycle."

[email protected]
> http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/4465449212.html
> Please call if you have any questions
> Gene
> 850.544.9539

· Registered
207 Posts
ddomino said:
1986 Turbo Diesel Trooper in MD for $3500. It's been on CL before and I think the price is lower now.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/4831853361.html
The youtube video location is Belgium that is embedded in the Craigslist offer so approach this with some caution.I sent the guy an email verifying the locale so this might be one of those "Send me the $$ and I'll ship it to you. Honest... really, I will, AND my sister thinks you're cute."

Jesse

· Registered
207 Posts

Attachments

· Registered
207 Posts
Arlie123 said:
Ed Mc. said:
Same guy with the TD has a decent-looking '86 Trooper 2.3 for $2500:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5007082223.html
Regards the 2.23 diesel. This just reinforces my Murphy's Law theory: the better the deal, the further away it is. I would buy it today if it was here on the east coast. From there to here, it would have to be towed or trailer'ed, I couldn't drive 3000 miles across the country at 55-60 mph. At 55-60 mph it as if you are not even moving...

Well, I mean I could, I've driven across the homeland and back a couple of times, but it's no picnic unless you have a couple of people with you who are road-trip junkies. You know who YOU are.
Not that crazy about the two doors series as well.

· Registered
207 Posts
sirbryanclark said:
Clean looking project '89 Trooper Seattle area

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ptd/5016206685.html
HA! I like the part where it says, " Needs throwout bearing "and "Easy FIX!" LOL

If you have ever pulled this 4x4 transmission out to replace the clutch, the word "easy Fix" does not enter your vocabulary. Personally, I think I'd really need a lift for this job.

1. throwout bearing
2. clutch disk
3. pressure plate
4. resurface flywheel
5. rear engine seal
6. front trans seal
7. rear trans seal
8. front drive shaft u-joint
9. rear drive shaft u-joint
10. rear diff front seal

I'm sure I left something out on this job. Yeah, easy and quick. Maybe take couple of hours. :>)

· Registered
207 Posts
So I called this guy in Portland and here's the story with this 89 silver Trooper:

Guy's name is Billy, his number is 503-528-4249. He would take $450 just the way it sits. He says the boneyard will give him that for it. It has 180k on it and will drive away from where it is sitting. He says it needs a tuneup but at that mileage it could be the typical head problem, I don't know. He is moving in a couple of days and the truck has to go from where it is.

Someone please go up or over there and get this thing!!! If I was on the west coast I'd go myself just to save it. I don't see any rust on it, either.

· Registered
207 Posts
Very clean! $5k well spent. Plus side is that the property taxes and insurance would be very low as well. My property tax is about $35 a year.

· Registered
207 Posts
That is a really nice 4x4, especially for all the long, rough New England winters here. I bet you could drop a 2.23 td in there.

· Registered
207 Posts
That I already have... just looking for something to drop it into.. easily.

· Registered
207 Posts
Emailed the owner... truck has 250,000 miles on it.

· Registered
207 Posts
It would be a lot fun to put a 2.23 in this pickup. That's one part of it, the other is Connecticut is a strange state for registration of vehicles. They only accept vehicles with the original setup by the manufacturer. If I dropped a diesel into this pickup, I'd have to register in Mass or NY, two states not so anal, then transfer to CT. Extras costs but that's the way it works. Remember, Connecticut is the state that shut down it's emission inspection program some time back because of criminal graft and blatant and incompetent mismanagement. If you had an inspection, you drove over to the CT state's emission/inspection building where a secondary company, I think it was called Agbar, did the work. That didn't pan out: now, you drive to a state-approved facility; your local independently-owned garage, and the inspection is done there but the inspection equipment is on a dedicated line to CT DMV HQ where all the info is checked against your register vehicle.

· Registered
207 Posts
JoeIsuzu said:
In that case, it's the PERFECT candidate. There's probably even enough room for the stock TD Trooper's air filter housing in there.
Jack
Jack, are you saying that the 2.23 motor will line up with the existing motor mounts and transmission bracket?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts