Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered a small (1 1/4") crack in my exhaust down pipe. My question is, at the "seam" pointed at with red arrow in the pic, is that a welded pipe inside pipe (like a slip joint) or is it a same diameter pipe to pipe weld? Additionally, though this is for info only, why the small run of dual pipes exiting the exhaust manifold? Only thing I can think of is for back pressure for the computer (which I no longer have). Believe the carbed 86 and older models were a single pipe exiting the manifold. Additionally, I plan on removing the manifold and pipe by removing the 2 bolts at the flange where the pipe joins the flex pipe. Is that gasket just a standard size exhaust gasket which the shop should have or will it be something I must order from Jerry, online, etc?

thanks,
shooter

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That gasket is one that they sell at AutoZone. I don't know how that downpipe is fabricated, but I do have one that I just took off of my truck that you can have for the cost of shipping if you want it. My manifold was cracked, but I think this pipe was ok. I can check the condition of it tomorrow and let you know.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
This one right?

Walker/Exhaust Flange Gasket part # 31567. Looks like both Auto Zone & Pepboys have it.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
electricpuppyboy said:
This one right?

Walker/Exhaust Flange Gasket part # 31567. Looks like both Auto Zone & Pepboys have it.
Looks right. Thanks for the offer. I'm gonna see if the crack is weldable and if not, I'll just have him make me a new section of pipe.

thanks again,
shooter

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The pipe should be weld-able. Only the header is cast iron.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts