Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is a way to convert a manual transmission to an automatic. If so what all is involved. The truck is the 2.6l 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
You would need to find one out of a 2.6L trooper that way the shift points are for the I4 for the ECM.

transmission, ecm, shifter console ( from a rodeo) all the wiring.

Its alot more work than it is worth, especially because no 2.6L troopers were 4x2, they all where 4x4, and your rodeo being the 2.6 is 4x2.

Sell that rodeo as a "fuel saver" and then take your money and buy one with an auto if you want one that bad, but you are only gonna find an automatic rodeo if it has the v6.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info my son is getting this truck next year and he is just not getting the shifting so i figured id ask. He can keep trying.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 4L30, those that hate it have had bad experiences because they bought the vehicle used and it wasn't taken care of.

I have 2 rodeo's with the auto, one with 200k, the other with 350k

I get tired of hearing how this is a bad automatic; don't knock it unless you bought your truck new and have maintained it every 20k with fresh fluid....then if it failed before 100k, then you can knock it.

This transmission is no more prone to issues then any other automatic on the street, IMHO.

That said....I wouldn't however, put an automatic behind a 4-cylinder rodeo....you already have the weaker end of the power stick with a heavy truck, keep the 5-spd in it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
beer-b-q said:
I was wondering if there is a way to convert a manual transmission to an automatic. If so what all is involved. The truck is the 2.6l 4 cylinder.
Im going to say this in all seriousness. Upgrading from a manual to an automatic is going to be very very easy for you. Just off to swap your manual for an automatic in similar condition. Im sure someone would swap if they had one that met your requirements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts