Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Could Southern California become the 51st state? There's a new push to divide the Golden State in two.

"Our state legislature that is supposed to be making laws and being respected, imposes laws that aren't even lawful," said Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone. "So I think our state is California gone wild."

Stone is leading the charge. He is proposing 13 Southern California counties secede from the state, dividing California into a north and south region.

California's financial woes are behind a new proposal to split up the state. Stone's proposal came just hours after Gov. Jerry Brown signed off on the state's new budget, which will divert millions of dollars away from county and city agencies.

"Our common denominator of losing all of our tax revenues to the state so they can balance their budget on the backs of their local citizens," said Stone.

The plan also calls for a part-time legislature, and to shift the balance of power to local governments. Some local leaders say parting ways with Sacramento is not a viable option.

"Southern California depends significantly on Northern California for much of our water supply," said Riverside Councilman Mike Gardner. "It's contentious enough with us being one state, and I think it would be worse if we were two separate states."

This isn't the first time California's statehood has been up for debate. In 1965 and 1992, state lawmakers tried to divvy up the state.

"It's a little interesting," said Riverside resident Tammy Christensen. "A little scary to think that they would be able to split up the state like that, but I don't think it will happen."

Even those who support the break-up say it would be a tough sell.

"I think certainly the spending the government we have in Sacramento doesn't properly represent the interest of the people in Southern California, certainly not in their spending habits," said Redlands resident Bryant McDonald. "The possibility of it happening is not likely."

Stone will be putting his proposal before the Riverside County Board of Supervisors July 12. If he succeeds in getting that support, it would go through the state legislature and then to the U.S. Congress.

:scratch: :scratch:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
They bring this up for a vote every year here in Washington State but it never gains any traction. There is a movement to divide Eastern Washington, North Idaho and part of Western Montana into a separate state because of the divide in each respective state. East and West Washington are at odds as well and north and south Idaho and the western most part of Montana. It's a long shot but it would be nice to separate ourselves from the loony lefties on the west side of the mountains.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
CatFuzz said:
It's a long shot but it would be nice to separate ourselves from the loony lefties on the west side of the mountains.
Sticking with the retard righties on the east side of the state, being the better option ?

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wink and laugh because I find humor in the pot calling the kettle black.

Left right, conservative, liberal, democrat, republican... They are just different faces on the same rabid dog in a sheep costume.

After spending so many years being frustrated by common people, good people, and otherwise intelligent people... People I would like to call friends... Being at each other's throats so much because of 'party affiliation'.... It's either find the humor or go the admittedly very short trip, to insanity.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
but that could cause birth defects :wink:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
CatFuzz said:
It's a long shot but it would be nice to separate ourselves from the loony lefties on the west side of the mountains.
Sticking with the retard righties on the east side of the state, being the better option ?

Left right, conservative, liberal, democrat, republican... They are just different faces on the same rabid dog in a sheep costume.

After spending so many years being frustrated by common people, good people, and otherwise intelligent people... People I would like to call friends... Being at each other's throats so much because of 'party affiliation'.... It's either find the humor or go the admittedly very short trip, to insanity.
I disagree, to a point. Republican/Democrat = same bull$hit, different spin. I don't associate myself with Republicans or Democrats. My feeling is that Washington DC needs to be nuked and the US Capitol moved and completely rebooted. We need limited terms of service for all elected offices and all elected officials should have to live by the laws they impose on the population. Each elected official should be paid by the people they represent and they should never be allowed to vote themselves additional compensation from the public treasury. We need to abolish the Federal Reserve and return to a gold standard. We need to stop deficit spending no matter how much it hurts. We need to stop waste and pork projects. We need to return the Federal government to a Constitutional one. Not this over-grown, bloated piece of crap that it has become. Those are some of my views. Put whatever label on it you wish but it certainly does not agree with most of King County/Pierce County.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
CatFuzz said:
Selador AKA Tat said:
CatFuzz said:

I disagree, to a point. Republican/Democrat = same bull$hit, different spin. I don't associate myself with Republicans or Democrats. My feeling is that Washington DC needs to be nuked and the US Capitol moved and completely rebooted. We need limited terms of service for all elected offices and all elected officials should have to live by the laws they impose on the population. Each elected official should be paid by the people they represent and they should never be allowed to vote themselves additional compensation from the public treasury. We need to abolish the Federal Reserve and return to a gold standard. We need to stop deficit spending no matter how much it hurts. We need to stop waste and pork projects. We need to return the Federal government to a Constitutional one. Not this over-grown, bloated piece of crap that it has become. Those are some of my views. Put whatever label on it you wish but it certainly does not agree with most of King County/Pierce County.
Hey pal! Are you trying to kill me? I live very close to DC!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Med!c said:
CatFuzz said:
Selador AKA Tat said:
CatFuzz said:

Hey pal! Are you trying to kill me? I live very close to DC!
I'm also for an early warning before nuking the place. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts