Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my radiator has a crack. But I havent done a pressure test yet.

Does anyone know a common spot for them to leak? I have a puddle of coolant on top of it.
Right on top of the vanes there is a spot before the radiator turns plastic, thats where the coolant is collecting. I checked all the hoses and they are sound.
This sucks, cause I was going to buy the OEM one on eBay and the day I had the extra cash, someone had already bought the last one! :x :lol:

So any sources for a good aftermarket? I would like one with the transmission cooler lines at the same location as OEM. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It it probably the plastic part.

I HATE plastic radiators!!! No matter how well you take care of your coolant system they will eventually break. They don't corrode they just wear out from the constant changes in pressure and temperature. I am also sure that with better plastic and/or design a plastic radiator could last a lot more than 4 or 5 years. :evil:
My rant for the week. Just changed out a plastic heater core, what a chore :x

Plastic part split and dumped hot water on my foot.

As far as a good after market, shop around. They will all be plastic so go for price. Unless you find a custom shop to make one but you'll shell out BIG $$$.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
rodeo joe said:
Just changed out a plastic heater core, what a chore :x quote]

that was beautiful... :D

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
In Jun 09 I bought an all metal plug and play radiator from Radiator Barn for $155.67, I think that included shipping.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!

So im searching for one now, which is best? brass/plastic, alluminum/plastic. Are the original ones 1 or 2 row?

And Buster28, looks like you got a good deal. All-metals at Radiator barn are going for $235.
The alluminum/plastic one is $95, but im not sure if that has 1 or 2 rows.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone familiar with these brands? I can get these locally. Any input is great. Thanks!

Spectra
Vista-Pro
TYC
APDI

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The FedEx girl has cometh! :D :D :D

I went with the Koyo brand, it seems they are/were OEM's for Toyota at some point. And they had great reviews. $125 shipped.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Sometimes you get coolant pooling on the top if the cap is bad, if there is a leak in the line to the expansion tank, or if the rad is bad. I see you've got a new radiator, hope it solves the problem!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, I checked all the hoses. I just replaced them last September including the cap with OEM parts.
Theres a hairline crack on the plastic tank right before the filler neck. Coolant was gushing and spurting from it.

Good thing we've finally been getting some sunshine around here. I should get it taken care of over the weekend.:D

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Nice. Is that an integrated trans cooler in the radiator?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, theres a trans cooler with it, just like the stock radiator. Its a direct swap.
Im also running an aux one, so that should also help keep engine and trans temps down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.