Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, ive got a decent tax refund coming in and a paycheck in a few days, and i need some ideas :lol:

a little backstory: we've been living together for 2 years, so its practically like we're married. take that into consideration.

im trying to talk her into building a computer. i had a laptop that fried up over a year ago, but i managed to build a computer from old parts.

this thing is old. OLD. 12 years old!

i've always wanted to build a new computer, but i havent had a brand new computer in.. 5-6 years maybe?
she wants a laptop. im against it because every one ive had has went bad within a year. and if something goes bad its nearly impossible to replace. but with a desktop, if something goes wrong, get the new part and swap it out, easy as pie.

now im not just wanting some cheapo $300 walmart computer, i want to build one.. i estimated one on newegg for $1k, thats with new monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, and surround sound.

i want to go overboard so it will still be pretty fast several years from now, this old one freezes up, has 300mb of ram, and a 40gb hard drive :shock:

but she wants me to save the money.. i understand saving it, but im getting $2k in tax refund and $900 for the paycheck, that will leave a little over $1k. not to mention i dont have to pay bills till late march.

any input? ideas?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GoodyMOBB said:
Build a htpc... go big or go home! or buy her a kindle fire so she can play on facebook and leave you alone with your computer.
Hell, I've already bought her an ipad! She don't need no kindle! :D

I do a lot of video encoding, have a lot of music, etc.
Of course nearly everything has to be put on a backup drive.
Not to mention it takes 3 hours to encode five minutes..

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wtf does she want a laptop for then? Ipad and a desktop is all you need! Just don't waste your money on top of the line stuff. it devalues so fast its not even worth it. Buy good mid range stuff.

Where you run in to the cost is when you start upgrading media components. Blu ray and hd video cards can run up the price pretty quickly. Keep from going crazy on that stuff and you can build a nice machine that won't be outdated for a few years!

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I have an idea.. just change your elections on your W4 so you don't have to give the government an interest free loan that your girlfriend can track.

Then just slowly stash some cash each paycheck and you can do what ever you want with it!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ruination said:
I have an idea.. just change your elections on your W4 so you don't have to give the government an interest free loan that your girlfriend can track.

Then just slowly stash some cash each paycheck and you can do what ever you want with it!
That's what I'm thinking, ill just build the computer then buy the monitor, keyboard, etc. Later

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just go and do it. Once she gets to use the bada$$ comp, she'll see. Women only understand tangible things.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
do you play video games?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Get an Apple! Then you can have half the speed for twice the price and still not be able to fix or upgrade it.

:thefinger:

I've been building my own for many years. I get most of my parts from Newegg. I go for 1 or 2 generations older then whatever is current. The latest greatest fastest stuff is expensive and in a year will cost about 1/4 of what it does now. Also look for stuff that on sale and close out. I usually upgrade stuff slowly over time as I feel I need to, so dont get hit with a large cost all at once. Some things never get upgraded until they die like dvd drives.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
ZuBrew said:
Just go and do it. Once she gets to use the bada$$ comp, she'll see. Women only understand tangible things.
Just do it, take a little bit of heat for doing it and then make it up to her.....Same way I'm building my truck.....The key is making it up tho.....otherwise she'll get sick of it and deuces. I've spent about a grand on my truck over the past 2-3 months. Some of it I let her know about and how we need it, stuff I can justify to myself I can justify to her. Stuff that's less justifiable, calmini a-arms/tbars I just buy (yes these can be justified just not as much as say brakes and rotors)..."oh well I'm sorry sweetie too late I already bought'em." Then I make up for it some how....She's going to owe 300 for taxes cuz her work didn't hold out enough and I never double checked her rates. (she doesn't know all the ins and outs being new to the state) So to make up for my spending I'm going to cover her debt, and get her the kindle mentioned above. Relationships are give and take. I take 70% spread out over a little time, and give back 30 precent all at once and I'm gravy.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I've studied their tactics...but look at how many ppl they rip off and the ppl don't realize. It's a shady, but effective system. :D In actuality I usually do more to balance things out tho.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done ordered it! Got an amd 8 core processor, 16gb ram, radeon 6970, 27" led monitor, I'm all set. Comes in tomorrow from newegg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts