Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I was finally able to get Rocky Mountain Loop finished, here's a link:

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1510-rocky-mountain-loop-tr92

I'm shooting to hit Daniel and/or Dickey Bell next, then closing the collection out with Dutch John... although this will depend on when I'm able to make it out there and if anyone is able to join me. Stay tuned!

Shaggy

·
Registered
585 Posts
Dutch John to close out the 2016 season at Uwharrie.

We're all looking forward to your "off season" productions, Jonathan, (something about a camping platform? hehehe) and getting Daniel and Dickey Bell in 2017!

[BBvideo 560,340:2kxrtr05]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZvSkSE1Ns&list=PL_AP-gyhF9OhRWKw_TCZM4DNdko95HfHq&index=5[/BBvideo]

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's been a couple of months since an update, so I thought I would provide some info about the site progress.

Of course, Uwharrie is seasonally closed, so no new details there.

But elsewhere, the trailsoffroad crew has been very productive--there are a total of 787 completed trail guides on the site, across 17 states and New Brunswick, Canada (EDIT: make that 18 states, a new writer/contributor in Alaska just posted his first two videos to our YouTube channel; Knik Sand Dunes and Knik Glacier Trail guides should be up, after peer review and editing!) All trail guides are current/updated to within 13 months (with extremely few exceptions) so the oldest "as of date" you'll see is January/February 2016. Most cases are 6-9 months.

These guides are all produced by writers/contributors who are 'local', meaning we run the trails and write first-hand descriptions, and shoot photographs and videos of the trail. It is all original content (we don't copy material from the internet). We do provide external links for land management agencies (Forest Service, BLM, etc.) and some historical context specific to some trails.

Each guide is formatted the same, to provide uniformity so one doesn't have to scan to find the pertinent data. Each contains "general information" such as Status-open, seasonally closed, etc., length, duration to run the trail, elevation, difficulty (1-10 scale), and category--mud, rock, overland, elevation, iconic/historical, etc. Each contains a "highlights" paragraph, a route description paragraph, and a camping/lodging paragraph. The most unique feature is the GPS track with waypoints, a text description and three photos of each waypoint (road intersection, creek/water crossing, and significant obstacles--shelves/ledges, rocks, ruts, off-camber sections, etc.)

Site traffic is growing rapidly, having doubled in recent months. User registration is still free, and enables access to all trail guide details. Registrations have increased steadily on a weekly basis since begun in November. Facebook followers are growing, but slowly. YouTube is growing rapidly, especially the number of videos viewed per month.

Two new features added this year are "Trip Reports" and "Ask a Question". Registered users can write trip reports on the trails they drive, right there at the bottom of the trail guide page. This enables you to hang your own photos and video, and write a brief summary of your outing.

Ask a Question is modeled on online retail sites, enabling registered users to ask a question about the trail from the guide page. Questions go to the original writer/contributor so he/she can respond directly to the inquiry.

The only metric which is not growing is the number of Isuzu-driving writers/contributors! LOL So if producing trail guides (and featuring your Isuzu in photos and videos on the trail) is of interest to you, then by all means, contact me or Shaggy and ask us any questions about trailsoffroad.

Here's a video from Moab earlier this month when some Utah and Colorado Crew made a long-weekend trip to update some trail guide photos and videos.

[BBvideo 560,340:3t7j9o3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnUmagcifEA[/BBvideo]

21 - 23 of 23 Posts