Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congrats to Holger and his gorgeous Axiom!

2004 Isuzu Axiom

Mods:
1) Lift: OME 929 coils, 2" coil spacers, IronMan torsion bars (cranked);
2) More suspension mods: 4 rear bent links by Stinkyfab; custom adjustable lateral bar; flipped upper front ball joints; rear anti-sway bar removed; extra long rear OME shocks for TLC 80;
3) Custom made rock sliders, by Roger Brown;
4) Custom middle section skid plate (under transmission) ;
5) Front ARB locker;
6) Rear Powertrax No-Slip locker;
7) Custom tow hitch;
Cool Plastic staff cut around the car;
9) Aftermarket 17" ASA wheels and 255/75-17 BFG Mud Terrain tires (32+");
10) upgraded brake lines;
11) Front differential breather-"snorkel";
12) modified spare tire mount;
13) diff drop

That's probably it.

Best regards,
Oleg

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Thanks a lot, guys ! I'll put more pictures later.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Congrats! Your Axiom has had me wanting one :)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
cronk said:
I'm interested in some pictures of those skid plates.
The skid plate is mounted to the frame in the rear and to the crossmember in the front. These pictures are old, the tires were still 31" Bridgestone A/T:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Some pictures of my recent trip to Moab:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
This is a "custom" hitch bar. A Curt hitch was used as a starting point. I had to fabricate the hitch bar because the "standard" hitch bar could not accommodate the 32+" undersize spare tire:

This is a cargo carrier I am using:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The most difficult upgrade by far was the Powertrax No-Slip installation in the rear diff. It took about 6 months of research, efforts and thinking.

Isuzus over the years had been using a "heavy-duty" version of Dana 44 (3.73 carrier with numerically higher "thick" gears). But the Axiom in 2004 used even a weirder Dana 44 variant, with different carrier dimensions (the carrier is wider internally), and with the same "thick" gear setup. The right way was either to install ARB locker (replacing the carrier altogether) or put a "usual" "heavy-duty" used Isuzu Dana 44 diff in it. I choose the most difficult path - I was trying to re-use the stock Axiom carrier. With some washers, I managed to complete it. This is the thread:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... ip+washers

Obviously, some others Isuzus also are using the same "weirder" Dana 44 carrier. How do I know that ? Matt from Independent4x sent to me, kindly, free of charge, a used Dana 44 carrier from some other recent-model Isuzu (he did not specify which one). I measured that second carrier and it had the exactly same size as the Axioms' carrier ! I ended up putting that second used carrier into my Isuzu, with Powertrax installed and with the washers to compensate for the wider carrier internals. It took several calls to the Powertrax support to figure out that the carrier, indeed, is too wide. I guess that my experience and my solution may be useful for others owners of the recent Isuzu models with LSD Dana 44 who want to install the Powertrax No-Slip locker.

Special thanks to Vovkus who helped me to find custom washers of the exact size. The washers from the usual Dana 44 kit do not fit.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
:salute:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Congrats holger. Very nice axiom and I really appreciate the use you get from it. I've been preoccupied of late so I guess the april vote just blew by me. Congrats and well deserved.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Congrats, your Axiom is incredible. The looks and its capabilities are amazing.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D congrats holger.i really like hard core axiom and you trip reports and pictures 8) recon

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Some my older pics, you guys have seen them already:

Mojave:

Laurel Lakes:

Mojave: (my late Rodeo):

Death Valley:

Sierra, Emigrant Trail (Pardoe trail):

Sierra, Bodie vicinity:

Anza Borrego desert state park:

Alabama Hills:

Mojave:

Anza:

Joshua Tree park:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sweet Pictures

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Great pics man :shock:

·
Registered
433 Posts
The Yakima roof basket, what kind is it, and will it connect to the factory roof rack?

Also, have you had to replace the chrome trim on your door panels?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.