Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had read a lot about replacing the filter box with an open air cone filter. Borrowing one from a friend, I decided to give it a try. It did give a bit of a power boost at higher rpm, and had a great sound. I have been running with it for close to a year, but this weekend it bit me. In splashing through a puddle not quite bumper deep, my truck suddenly died. This is a '96 trooper with 3.2L and auto tranny. After winching out of the puddle, i removed the air filter, as I suspected what the problem was. Water came pouring out of the intake tube. After removing the plugs, I finally got the engine to turn over, and it ejected quite a bit of water from the plug holes. Put the plugs back in, and it wouldn't turn over. Once i got it home, I took the starter out to have it tested. It turned out to be good. After a battle getting it back in, the truck finally decided it wanted to turn over. After cranking for almost a minute, the engine slowly caught and started running. TAP TAP TAP TAP. I shut the engine off. After researching on the net, it appeared the problem was a timing tensioner, or valves. So i cranked it back up. TAP TAP TAP, THUNK, (silence). I am going to pull the plugs again, and probably the lower oil pan, with the expectation of finding broken a rod.
You are probably thinkging, "well, duhh :roll: , its an open air filter". Don't worry, I am kicking myself plenty hard. But, I have run that same road several times, with the same filter. I have splashed through other deep puddles in other places, no problem. Evidently i hit it a little faster this time, or it was a little deeper than normal. Whatever the case, I have learned that puddles and cone air filters don't mix. If you play in the mud at all, DON"T DO THIS MOD!!!. :twisted: It will get you eventually. If you stay on the hardstuff, or even play on the rocks its a great mod.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Even with the factory air box, it can happen as well.

BTW, the local Disco(Land Rover) guys when they run deep water crossings, they use tarps and strap it to the front of their trucks. This keeps the water from pushing through the front which probably protects the air inlet.

Good Luck,
Con

·
Registered
54 Posts
Adam said:
Hi,
<snip> In splashing through a puddle not quite bumper deep, my truck suddenly died.<snip>But, I have run that same road several times, with the same filter. I have splashed through other deep puddles in other places, no problem. Evidently i hit it a little faster this time, or it was a little deeper than normal. Whatever the case, I have learned that puddles and cone air filters don't mix. If you play in the mud at all, DON"T DO THIS MOD!!!. :twisted: It will get you eventually. If you stay on the hardstuff, or even play on the rocks its a great mod.
On thing to do when using open filter and off-roading thru mud/puddle is to cover the open filter with a gal plastic juice jug(cut both ends so it covers the paper element)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.