Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
jwood1016 said:
Any one know of any carmakers that use a similar or same rack and pinion as Isuzu??
I'm pretty sure that the Isuzu Axiom is the only other vehicle that uses the same rack as the second gen Rodeos, Passports, and Amigos.

I'll tell you, though, as soon as Joe Darlington comes up with a better steering setup than the stock rack and pinion, I'd like to take mine out and put in something more stout. I've heard that he's working on something since that rack has been such a weak spot on these rigs.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
beagler said:
jwood1016 said:
Any one know of any carmakers that use a similar or same rack and pinion as Isuzu??
I'm pretty sure that the Isuzu Axiom is the only other vehicle that uses the same rack as the second gen Rodeos, Passports, and Amigos.

I'll tell you, though, as soon as Joe Darlington comes up with a better steering setup than the stock rack and pinion, I'd like to take mine out and put in something more stout. I've heard that he's working on something since that rack has been such a weak spot on these rigs.
Im having the hardest time trying to locate some power steering lines!!! :evil:

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already got my new rack in..its just these lines split open when i was removing them so i cant put in power steering fluid :( . And the worst part is that these lines are not even labled on the diagram!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you buy a new or re-manufactured rack and pinion assembly, I'm pretty sure that those lines come with the assembly, like in the photo below. About the only way you'll get those lines is with a new assembly or off of a parts vehicle in a junkyard. I could be wrong, but I don't think that they are something you can order separately. :

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
New R&P is $517, I'm going to need one eventually. My leak seems to have stopped for now though luckily.

Probably have to go with salvage for those lines or make your own. One of the guys I work with is parting out an '02 amigo and the r&p is broken but he's been out of town. If he's back this week I'll see how much he wants for the lines. He doesnt want to deal with shipping but I told him I'd ship some things to ppl on this board.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
jwood1016 said:
a new rack and pinion cost like 4 or 500 dollars.
This probably wouldn't sit well with your parents, but if you look hard enough on craigslist, sometimes you can come across a whole Amigo or Rodeo with a busted engine or transmission for that much. Then you'll have all the spare parts you need when things break off-road.

And to think that both of the Rodeos I parted out last summer still had the steering racks when they went to the crusher. I wish that I had held on to those now. I picked up one of those Rodeos for $250, and another for $500. I'll be keeping my eyes open for another one this summer.

To find just the lines, I'd suggest locating a Rodeo or Amigo in a parts yard through www.car-part.com. Sometimes you can have a parts yard pull and ship what you need. If you find one nearby, you can just go pull them yourself.

Good luck finding the steering lines and getting the Amigo back in top condition.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Anybody happen to catch Car Crazy this weekend? There was a vendor on there that makes custom rack and pinions for street rods. I can't find a link to them on the carcrazy website but I'd bet they said they can build them to order. Not sure what they'd cost but I'd bet they could do one for the Rodeo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.