Isuzu SUV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,713 Posts
It's not necessary to use the mark all forms read feature, as the site updates on its own. The old one did as well, as does every forum I've ever posted on over the last 20 years. I'm not even sure why that button exists.
I don't think that's accurate, at least not in the way I use it. So I'm going to give it a try. Ill let you know if it works for me.

Jack

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,713 Posts
I'm back, and maybe we can clear this up. We need to notice that "new" and "unread" are not exactly the same term. Sometimes (often) they refer to the same posts, but not necessarily.
"New" = posts since my last visit.
"Unread" = posts I have not read (or marked "read")

The image below shows what i got when I clicked the "NEW" button:

Font Material property Screenshot Technology Parallel

But they are actually NOT new -- they were here prior to my last visit. They're just "unread" -- not actually "new". The forum does mention (circled in red) that they have not been updated since my last visit. Since I did NOT click "Mark all read", they still appear. If I had done so, these topics would no longer appear as "new" (see below):
Product Font Screenshot Technology Web page

phpBB does the same thing, but it makes a distinction between "View new posts" vs. "view unread". The "mark all read" does the same thing there (exactly as it says). Posts are never automatically marked as "read". In fact, this would actually be problematic to code, since few folks log off when leaving. We just exit our browser or go somewhere else.

Hope that helps.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
Only if you read every new post.

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Curious. there's a small blue dot in the upper right corner of my avatar. Does it change color if there's a conversation reply, my thought, or is it for some other function?
Alerts/Notifications

A dot on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site indicates that you have alerts or new conversations (private messages). When you click on your avatar you will see a number next to Alerts and/or Conversations indicating how many new ones you have. Click on each to view them.

You can adjust your settings for alerts by selecting Account Settings and then Preferences from the left side navigation on the new page.

Scroll down to “Receive a notification when someone…” and set your preferences.

For email alerts, scroll down to Content options and adjust your settings.

Make sure to click Save at the bottom if you make any changes.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Navigating Thread Listing

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thanks for the extra leg work Joe. I suppose I knew all that. I'm a "read every post of every thread" kind of guy, usually, less so in here I guess where I don't even log on every day. I suppose I've been navigating forums for so long that I don't notice some of the nuisances any more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I miss the title rankings.

Otherwise, looks good.

I had one hiccup where it wasn't letting me do a double space after my punctuation, but it doesn't seem to be autocorrecting that on this post.

Reactions: AG_Admin

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Trophies are weak. It shouldn't be hard to make something similar to the old titles.

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wow. Was not aware the Planet had sold out to VS. I. Is. Sad. :cry:

Many sites have sold out to VS, all across the spectrum, and not with good results. If not mistaken, they bought out Pirate4x4 a few years ago, and it's a dead site now. They bought out a popular firearms forum here in N.C. and it's a ghost town now.

But, I get it. Hobbyist/niche forums like this one are dying a slow death as it's a LOT of work (and money) to keep up and stay abreast of the software upgrades and financials.

I haven't checked in for quite a while, but I've also missed the community. I'll probably make it a point to check in more often and post. Glad to see the site is still picking up new members.

Just remember one thing. ISUZU and ISUZU North America's mismanagement abandoned us, not the other way around. The only way the nameplate survives at all now is through these virtual meeting spaces and the remaining owner enthusiasm.

Heck, I needed to replace the driver side headlight assembly on the Trooper (Which while rusty and faded, still runs with about 200,000 on the clock). I found a replacement from Latvia (Yes, it's in Europe) on eBay for Christ's sake! Parts are getting more and more scarce for we crotchety first gen owners so we get them where we can..... :cautious:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I haven't checked in for quite a while, but I've also missed the community. I'll probably make it a point to check in more often and post. Glad to see the site is still picking up new members.
Blast from the past - good to see back around Don, hope you are doing well!

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,175 Posts
Generally I am getting used to navigating the new web site features. Most things I like, but there are a few features the old site had that I miss. One is the bump feature which always put the most recent post to the top of the list. This way I don't have to search the whole web site looking for the most recent postings. Recently I added to a post to never forget 9/11. The post got 1 reply. I think people didn't see it at the top of topics and missed it. Or I guess, which I hope is not the case, that people no longer care or remember that fateful day......Harry

I do understand that a new post will be on the top till it gets replaced by another new one. I'm posting about adding to an existing post. Now one must look at all the time lapse to find the most recent answer.

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Generally I am getting used to navigating the new web site features. Most things I like, but there are a few features the old site had that I miss. One is the bump feature which always put the most recent post to the top of the list. This way I don't have to search the whole web site looking for the most recent postings. Recently I added to a post to never forget 9/11. The post got 1 reply. I think people didn't see it at the top of topics and missed it. Or I guess, which I hope is not the case, that people no longer care or remember that fateful day......Harry

I do understand that a new post will be on the top till it gets replaced by another new one. I'm posting about adding to an existing post. Now one must look at all the time lapse to find the most recent answer.
The threads are in chronological order based on the last post.

Navigating Thread Listing

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
- Cricket

·
Registered
29 Posts
Something that I think would greatly help with navigating the site would be to separate sub-forums by vehicle and their corresponding year ranges. For example, a sub-forum for 1st gen troopers, and a separate link for 2nd gen troopers etc etc..Bimmerfest (a forum for BMW owners) does it this way (see image) and is managed by Xenforo as well. With so many different models, it makes finding the information, or finding where to post, much easier. I don't know anything about other isuzus besides my own 1st gen trooper, so I don't want to see a ton of posts that I can't contribute to which pertain to other Isuzus.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Something that I think would greatly help with navigating the site would be to separate sub-forums by vehicle and their corresponding year ranges. For example, a sub-forum for 1st gen troopers, and a separate link for 2nd gen troopers etc etc..Bimmerfest (a forum for BMW owners) does it this way (see image) and is managed by Xenforo as well. With so many different models, it makes finding the information, or finding where to post, much easier. I don't know anything about other isuzus besides my own 1st gen trooper, so I don't want to see a ton of posts that I can't contribute to which pertain to other Isuzus.

View attachment 120192
This is a decision for the Moderator Team. We can address this more.

- Cricket

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
This has been discussed over and over here. The consensus is keep it the way it is. With Isuzu too much info crosses over from vehicle to vehicle and year range to year range.

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Inline Attachments Should Be Fixed Now

The inline attachments issue regarding old threads (premigration) should now be fixed. :)

Let us know if you see any other issues regarding this.

- Cricket

81 - 100 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.