Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
How To Add Your Vehicle Information Below Your Avatar

Click on your avatar, near the upper right-hand corner of the site. Select account settings from the drop-down menu.
Font Screenshot Software Gadget Electronic device

On the account settings page, scroll down to Vehicle Details
Font Magenta Brand Signage Circle

Enter your vehicle details. Click Save at the bottom when you are done.

Your vehicle information will now display in the area below your avatar within threads.
Automotive lighting Guitar accessory Communication Device Gadget Font

You can also add it to your signature if you prefer.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
One thing I've noticed that is a little aggravating is that I have to log in every time I visit this site. This is even though I click on the stay logged in button, it just doesn't remember me the next time I visit. A least I don't have to do the captcha routine some talk about.

Mike

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
One thing I've noticed that is a little aggravating is that I have to log in every time I visit this site. This is even though I click on the stay logged in button, it just doesn't remember me the next time I visit. A least I don't have to do the captcha routine some talk about.

Mike
You shouldn't need to log in every time unless your browser is clearing cookies/cache when you leave a site.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you haven't reviewed your account preferences, you should. Definitely review your privacy settings. By default, it appears that email notifications are selected for every time someone breathes (although I haven't yet received any). Jack
WOW! Didn't know about this. Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You shouldn't need to log in every time unless your browser is clearing cookies/cache when you leave a site.

- Cricket
Being computer challenged, I wouldn't know whether my browser is eating cookies or not! ;) Don't know how to change it, but it's not that big a deal to log in every time. Thanks.

Good on you for being here and replying to questions promptly.

Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've noticed when reading through posts, my eyes gravitate towards the user join date and my brain interprets as the post date. Kinda confusing but I honestly forget how it was before. Thought I was looking at posts from 06 but it was just old members. Anyone else getting mixed up?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing that's why I noticed all the new users lately.

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,713 Posts
I've noticed when reading through posts, my eyes gravitate towards the user join date and my brain interprets as the post date. Kinda confusing but I honestly forget how it was before. Thought I was looking at posts from 06 but it was just old members. Anyone else getting mixed up?
Me too, but I remember making the same mistake with the old phpBB forum (particularly the "mobile" version).

I think I'm really going to like this once I get used to it. I'm not sure I'll ever like the new site owners. ;)

Jack

·
Registered
106 Posts
Me too, but I remember making the same mistake with the old phpBB forum (particularly the "mobile" version).

I think I'm really going to like this once I get used to it. I'm not sure I'll ever like the new site owners. ;)

Jack
Yea it's a mobile thing I suppose. I feel it's more important the post/reply date than the account life. At least at a quick glance.

And I agree with you, new site works great but administration is far disconnected.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Another feature I like is the ability to hover over a thread title and see the first bit of the post. Don't have to open the thread to see what it's about.

Mike

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sweet dreams. I'm totally lost on this new site. It's an absolute nightmare, can't find what I'm looking for, it took me a longer whileto just log in... If I'm in my 30's, and I have so much trouble, what about some mature, less computer-agile users? We ALL took a great advantage of those folks knowledge, experience and good will to share it with us. If they're discouraged from visiting and helping, then we can just simply turn the lights off already...

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
I wonder what make the difference. Several have had trouble logging in. I have had zero issues. Does it depend on the browser?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Another feature I like is the ability to hover over a thread title and see the first bit of the post. Don't have to open the thread to see what it's about.
Mike,

That's an advantage of using a "real" computer. This is my first time here on a laptop. Up to now, I've been on a phone. There is no "hover" on a phone, since there's no mouse.
Sweet dreams. I'm totally lost on this new site. It's an absolute nightmare, can't find what I'm looking for, it took me a longer whileto just log in... If I'm in my 30's, and I have so much trouble, what about some mature, less computer-agile users? We ALL took a great advantage of those folks knowledge, experience and good will to share it with us. If they're discouraged from visiting and helping, then we can just simply turn the lights off already...
It really does seem to be a steep learning (or adjustment) curve. I'm more mature (60s), but I've been pretty immersed in technology for the last 35+ years, so I guess that's not typical for my age.

Here's one thing I like: There's a "NEW" button featured pretty prominently. Every time I visit, I do two things:
  1. Click the "New" button to scan through what's been posted since my last visit...
  2. Click the "Mark All Read" button when I'm done. That way, the next time I visit, the "New" button shows posts since my last visit.
The old phpBB forum had the same feature, but it was not as prominent. Most people overlooked it -- or at least, probably didn't "mark all read" before leaving.

Jack

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,175 Posts
Curious. there's a small blue dot in the upper right corner of my avatar. Does it change color if there's a conversation reply, my thought, or is it for some other function?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Curious. there's a small blue dot in the upper right corner of my avatar. Does it change color if there's a conversation reply, my thought, or is it for some other function?
I'm just gonna guess that it's a "notification". And it might be anything you've selected to be notified of, or whatever the defaults are. Things like:
  • Someone quotes you (like I just did)
  • Someone mentions you like this: @itsmehb
  • Some responds to a topic you created
  • Some responds to a topic you've responded to
  • Some sends you a private message
  • etc.
Jack

·
Registered
1997 Rodeo, 6VD1, MUA5, 277k miles
33 Posts
I wonder what make the difference. Several have had trouble logging in. I have had zero issues. Does it depend on the browser?
That would be weird, but it is possible. I am running a lightly modified Firefox 92 on Solus. A few about:config tweaks and uBlock origin. What about everyone else?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Click the "Mark All Read" button when I'm done. That way, the next time I visit, the "New" button shows posts since my last visit.

Jack, I'm guessing this keeps all the months and years old posts one hasn't read from being displayed? Where is this "Mark All Read" button? Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Jack, I'm guessing this keeps all the months and years old posts one hasn't read from being displayed? Where is this "Mark All Read" button? Thanks.

Mike
Mike,

Exactly! (And phpBB did the same thing.)
Communication Device Font Screenshot Gadget Technology

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
OK Admin people. I have a suggestion. If someone else suggested it already I apologize. Can we ditch the homepage banner already? I know just about everyone hates the GM rebrand. Truthfully if we are honest we are a mostly mature crowd here that is made up of mostly late 80's and 90's Isuzu owners. The newer Isuzus that were bastard GM remakes don't appeal to us at all.

The amount of adds is a bit overwhelming, but I am seeing it all over the web. It is what it is as is commonly said. You have to pay the bills somehow. I get it.

Now I am not here to just gripe. I have a feeling that once we get used to the new format it will be fine.

My suggestion for the homepage banner that I think will win some member support is this. Lets bring back the member nominated (and poll voted) Member's Ride of the Month thread. With help from the Admins whoever wins, their rig will be the banner for the following month. I think this would be a popular move, and would keep the site active and members engaged.

That's just my two cents.

Reactions: MrDunge

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It's not necessary to use the mark all forms read feature, as the site updates on its own. The old one did as well, as does every forum I've ever posted on over the last 20 years. I'm not even sure why that button exists.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.