Isuzu SUV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,140 Posts
Come on buster stick around
Couldn't agree more. Will do my part and try to learn my way around. My first post went fairly well and the picture I included was bigger than the older forum. My initial response was negative, but I'm going to try to hang on and continue to be a productive member

Reactions: Nyx

·
Registered
1997 Rodeo, 6VD1, MUA5, 277k miles
32 Posts
Ugly & cluttered. Plus, had to wait probably 3 mins for "browser security check" then do "Captcha" bs twice... just to get in. Wasn't "broken" before, so it didn't need "fixing".
You using a VPN or something? I have not seen and browser checks or captchas

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Change is tough and this is exactly the level of bitching that I expected. That said, there are some legitimate gripes, and those should be focused on to make improvements. Let's try not to drown out the useful comments with too much, "ugh, I don't like it. whiiiiiiiine!"

As to the ads monetizing the site, the issue, imo, was that ads appeared OVER the photos posted, which is a direct monentization of posted photos without any compensation to the poster. It's certainly not analogous to taxation without representation, but it's shady either way.

Anyway, there was zero chance that the site update was going to be the simple retro format that everyone was used to, so I'm not sure why everyone is throwing a fit like this came out of left field. I look forward to not having terrible search, photos, and videos. I'm out on work and too busy to dig into the site now, but I expect everyone to stick around and get it worked out without acting too much like toddlers.

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,690 Posts
I really don't have a big issue with the software you chose. Change is tough, but we'll learn how it works.

But your team came to us with false pretenses. If you really want to "move forward", how about we start with some honesty.

Here's how I see things, and please feel free to prove me wrong:
  • You have no interest (zip, zero, nada) in Isuzu vehicles (aside from revenue you hope they bring you). You did not choose this site because somebody in your company had an Isuzu, or even because, "Hey, that's a cool old SUV". You saw an active community that you thought you might capitalize on.
  • This forum was and is seen as just an investment, a new revenue stream.
  • Your interest going forward will be to simply placate as many users as possible while maintaining a decent ROI.
If you can admit that much, maybe we can move forward.

Jack

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My take on this. Older guy here, definitely old school and computer challenged. I use a laptop, no smartphone for this guy. The older I get the less I like change, with ANYTHING, but I adapt. A couple of the motorcycle forums I frequent use this type of layout/system so I'm kinda familiar with it, but not what I call fluent. Sorta getting used to it. Dark mode is definitely easier on my eyes. Haven't tried attaching pics, hopefully it's not too different. Haven't used the search function yet, but anything would be an improvement over the old system. Used to use the "Unread posts" function, now use the "New" button, about the same. I don't see a lot of ads, but my computer guy installed some kind of ad-blocker on my computer. Guess it works. I frequent the Planet for the "chatter" and KNOWLEDGE. Although I don't post much, I feel a camaraderie with folks here. And I would sure hate to lose the knowledge here. So as long as the "feel" of the place doesn't go away and the knowledge is still here, I'll stick around.

Mike

·
Registered
755 Posts
yeah, big difference from sunday , when i was on here last....HAD to find dark mode instantly.... on my newer laptop every forum i visit is way too bright.my old laptop wasnt like that. and i am only just over half way to 80 for age...
no old troopers in the header pictures. i guess they are trying to gear it towards the younger hip generation that have man buns and drink starbucks and consider a gravel driveway approach ''off roading''
oh well, we will get used to this new change, for better or worse, i guess.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I'll admit, the forum software is growing on me (the new ownership is NOT). It has a lot of interesting features. But I doubt I represent the typical user here. I'm a young 60-something, and I manage Linux supercomputers by day.

If you haven't reviewed your account preferences, you should. Definitely review your privacy settings. By default, it appears that email notifications are selected for every time someone breathes (although I haven't yet received any).

Jack

·
Administrator
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
We will see regular updates that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

Take a moment to browse through our Community FAQs and let us know if you have any questions.

- Cricket

·
Registered
755 Posts
just noticed i received 5 awards for making posts....YES ! JUST WHAT I NEED !! MY EGO WILL GET BIGGER !!!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
@AG_Admin could you please advise whether inline attachments are going to be supported? Currently they are all showing as, "View Attachment 1" "View Attachment 2" etc and all link to the same set of placeholder images. Is this a bug?

Here's an example post showing the issue: '88 Trooper resto...

Here's a screenshot of the above post:
View attachment 120009

Thanks for any updates on this!
If @AG_Admin replied to this, I missed it. But think I've seen inline images in new posts (see the Test Forum). So I'm guessing the migration wasn't able to put all images inline in older posts, for some reason. But at least it works in new posts. I do see thumbnails of the pics, immediately below the links you circled.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
2,349 Posts
We will see regular updates that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

Take a moment to browse through our Community FAQs and let us know if you have any questions.

- Cricket
@AG_Admin are you by any chance using a selection of prewritten posts? Sure sounds like it!

·
Administrator
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
If @AG_Admin replied to this, I missed it. But think I've seen inline images in new posts (see the Test Forum). So I'm guessing the migration wasn't able to put all images inline in older posts, for some reason. But at least it works in new posts. I do see thumbnails of the pics, immediately below the links you circled.

Jack
If they were uploaded as attachments previously, they will display as attachments.

That being said the original poster can click to edit the post and have options to insert the images inline. :)
Rectangle Font Operating system Screenshot Software

- Cricket

·
Registered
105 Posts
If they were uploaded as attachments previously, they will display as attachments.
@AG_Admin The issue is when the image was uploaded as an attachment then placed inline with BBCode.

Please go to this post this post and click on "View attachment 3" - you will see a pic of the Clemson Tigers football team.

Then go to this different post and click on "View attachment 3" - you will see the same pic of the Clemson Tigers football team.

Both of those posts used to show images of Greasemonkey's trooper resto and not Clemson Tigers football team inline in the body of the post.

BBCode didn't import correctly during the migration to XenForo. Thanks and looking forward to the fix.

·
Registered
Bone stock 1989 Trooper S 2.8.
28 Posts
So, I'm probably going to make myself horribly unpopular with the community right now by siding with Cricket.

Running a site is EXPENSIVE. It's not the cost of hosting, or bandwidth, or any of that, it's the labor. All these ads bring in pennies, which adds up, but still.

I hear a lot of requests for the new owners to buy an old trooper and - good lord! - go off roading. Right. I run the School of Nursing site for Duke University - you want me administering your meds the next time you're in the hospital? Didn't think so.

Besides, I'll bet small money this site doesn't generate enough revenue to PAY for an old Trooper in decent shape. Anyone wanna donate their restored rig? Didn't think so.

This isn't Facebook, and we're not the TikTok crowd. The ads are annoying, but here's the facts: They have to make money, or we don't have a site. I suspect you'd all be shocked to see the Google Analytics for this site compared to one with major traffic. We're probably talking less than 1/1000th.

Oh, and if this was MY site? I'd be THRILLED with how smooth the transition was. Kudos.

Now, all that said, the banner is LAME. I'm sure it's hard to find stock photos of old troopers that you can use, but I know for a fact that setting up a rotating banner of member rigs (or trail pics) is trivial. Do it. It's a VERY cheap way to make people VERY happy.

Now, let the flames begin!

Reactions: Nyx

·
Super Moderator
2,349 Posts
So, I'm probably going to make myself horribly unpopular with the community right now by siding with Cricket.

Running a site is EXPENSIVE. It's not the cost of hosting, or bandwidth, or any of that, it's the labor. All these ads bring in pennies, which adds up, but still.

I hear a lot of requests for the new owners to buy an old trooper and - good lord! - go off roading. Right. I run the School of Nursing site for Duke University - you want me administering your meds the next time you're in the hospital? Didn't think so.

Besides, I'll bet small money this site doesn't generate enough revenue to PAY for an old Trooper in decent shape. Anyone wanna donate their restored rig? Didn't think so.

This isn't Facebook, and we're not the TikTok crowd. The ads are annoying, but here's the facts: They have to make money, or we don't have a site. I suspect you'd all be shocked to see the Google Analytics for this site compared to one with major traffic. We're probably talking less than 1/1000th.

Oh, and if this was MY site? I'd be THRILLED with how smooth the transition was. Kudos.

Now, all that said, the banner is LAME. I'm sure it's hard to find stock photos of old troopers that you can use, but I know for a fact that setting up a rotating banner of member rigs (or trail pics) is trivial. Do it. It's a VERY cheap way to make people VERY happy.

Now, let the flames begin!

I think the point is, that this forum was started by an Isuzu owner. It was then transferred to Vertical Scope without being first offered to any of the enthusiasts. VS has been absent for months at a time on here, so they have no labor costs to speak of. The moderation is done by member, free of charge.
The problem is not the change, the problem is the attitude they have.

Reactions: JoeIsuzu

·
Registered
Bone stock 1989 Trooper S 2.8.
28 Posts
I get that. I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Time will tell.

·
Administrator
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
@AG_Admin The issue is when the image was uploaded as an attachment then placed inline with BBCode.

Please go to this post this post and click on "View attachment 3" - you will see a pic of the Clemson Tigers football team.

Then go to this different post and click on "View attachment 3" - you will see the same pic of the Clemson Tigers football team.

Both of those posts used to show images of Greasemonkey's trooper resto and not Clemson Tigers football team inline in the body of the post.

BBCode didn't import correctly during the migration to XenForo. Thanks and looking forward to the fix.
We are still looking into this issue.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I don't know what changed behind the scenes, but the influx of new members is interesting, and much needed, IMO.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts