Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,796 Posts
@cricket
Yes, you asked for images. But no, you didn't offer to pay for them. It's all about the $$$ for your company, so why shouldn't content creators get their fair share?

And one of the first things to hit me in the face was the "Upgrade to Premium" thing. Is that the alternative to getting bombarded with ads?

Jack

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I really don't have a big issue with the software you chose. Change is tough, but we'll learn how it works.

But your team came to us with false pretenses. If you really want to "move forward", how about we start with some honesty.

Here's how I see things, and please feel free to prove me wrong:
  • You have no interest (zip, zero, nada) in Isuzu vehicles (aside from revenue you hope they bring you). You did not choose this site because somebody in your company had an Isuzu, or even because, "Hey, that's a cool old SUV". You saw an active community that you thought you might capitalize on.
  • This forum was and is seen as just an investment, a new revenue stream.
  • Your interest going forward will be to simply placate as many users as possible while maintaining a decent ROI.
If you can admit that much, maybe we can move forward.

Jack

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'll admit, the forum software is growing on me (the new ownership is NOT). It has a lot of interesting features. But I doubt I represent the typical user here. I'm a young 60-something, and I manage Linux supercomputers by day.

If you haven't reviewed your account preferences, you should. Definitely review your privacy settings. By default, it appears that email notifications are selected for every time someone breathes (although I haven't yet received any).

Jack

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
@AG_Admin could you please advise whether inline attachments are going to be supported? Currently they are all showing as, "View Attachment 1" "View Attachment 2" etc and all link to the same set of placeholder images. Is this a bug?

Here's an example post showing the issue: '88 Trooper resto...

Here's a screenshot of the above post:
View attachment 120009

Thanks for any updates on this!
If @AG_Admin replied to this, I missed it. But think I've seen inline images in new posts (see the Test Forum). So I'm guessing the migration wasn't able to put all images inline in older posts, for some reason. But at least it works in new posts. I do see thumbnails of the pics, immediately below the links you circled.

Jack

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I've noticed when reading through posts, my eyes gravitate towards the user join date and my brain interprets as the post date. Kinda confusing but I honestly forget how it was before. Thought I was looking at posts from 06 but it was just old members. Anyone else getting mixed up?
Me too, but I remember making the same mistake with the old phpBB forum (particularly the "mobile" version).

I think I'm really going to like this once I get used to it. I'm not sure I'll ever like the new site owners. ;)

Jack

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Another feature I like is the ability to hover over a thread title and see the first bit of the post. Don't have to open the thread to see what it's about.
Mike,

That's an advantage of using a "real" computer. This is my first time here on a laptop. Up to now, I've been on a phone. There is no "hover" on a phone, since there's no mouse.
Sweet dreams. I'm totally lost on this new site. It's an absolute nightmare, can't find what I'm looking for, it took me a longer whileto just log in... If I'm in my 30's, and I have so much trouble, what about some mature, less computer-agile users? We ALL took a great advantage of those folks knowledge, experience and good will to share it with us. If they're discouraged from visiting and helping, then we can just simply turn the lights off already...
It really does seem to be a steep learning (or adjustment) curve. I'm more mature (60s), but I've been pretty immersed in technology for the last 35+ years, so I guess that's not typical for my age.

Here's one thing I like: There's a "NEW" button featured pretty prominently. Every time I visit, I do two things:
  1. Click the "New" button to scan through what's been posted since my last visit...
  2. Click the "Mark All Read" button when I'm done. That way, the next time I visit, the "New" button shows posts since my last visit.
The old phpBB forum had the same feature, but it was not as prominent. Most people overlooked it -- or at least, probably didn't "mark all read" before leaving.

Jack

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Curious. there's a small blue dot in the upper right corner of my avatar. Does it change color if there's a conversation reply, my thought, or is it for some other function?
I'm just gonna guess that it's a "notification". And it might be anything you've selected to be notified of, or whatever the defaults are. Things like:
  • Someone quotes you (like I just did)
  • Someone mentions you like this: @itsmehb
  • Some responds to a topic you created
  • Some responds to a topic you've responded to
  • Some sends you a private message
  • etc.
Jack

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Jack, I'm guessing this keeps all the months and years old posts one hasn't read from being displayed? Where is this "Mark All Read" button? Thanks.

Mike
Mike,

Exactly! (And phpBB did the same thing.)
Communication Device Font Screenshot Gadget Technology

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
It's not necessary to use the mark all forms read feature, as the site updates on its own. The old one did as well, as does every forum I've ever posted on over the last 20 years. I'm not even sure why that button exists.
I don't think that's accurate, at least not in the way I use it. So I'm going to give it a try. Ill let you know if it works for me.

Jack

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'm back, and maybe we can clear this up. We need to notice that "new" and "unread" are not exactly the same term. Sometimes (often) they refer to the same posts, but not necessarily.
"New" = posts since my last visit.
"Unread" = posts I have not read (or marked "read")

The image below shows what i got when I clicked the "NEW" button:

Font Material property Screenshot Technology Parallel

But they are actually NOT new -- they were here prior to my last visit. They're just "unread" -- not actually "new". The forum does mention (circled in red) that they have not been updated since my last visit. Since I did NOT click "Mark all read", they still appear. If I had done so, these topics would no longer appear as "new" (see below):
Product Font Screenshot Technology Web page

phpBB does the same thing, but it makes a distinction between "View new posts" vs. "view unread". The "mark all read" does the same thing there (exactly as it says). Posts are never automatically marked as "read". In fact, this would actually be problematic to code, since few folks log off when leaving. We just exit our browser or go somewhere else.

Hope that helps.

Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.