Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question-is it safe to switch my thermostat for a higher temp unit to get more heat from my heater? I know it used to be a common winterization chore to help the motor warm up faster. My heater doesn't get real warm, and it feels like cold outside are is being blown along with it, even on recirculate. Need to go through the whole thing soon. Also, my temperature gauge never, ever gets above the lowest red line, like never registering any rise. I'm wondering if I have a stuck open thermo. I read somewhere that the stock unit opens at like 170 degrees-seems very low to me, most of my vehicles have had a stock temp of 195 or so. I froze all day when I had to drive anywhere, with a low of 8 degrees this morning. Anyone with wisdom or experience on this topic? Thanks

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
You won't hurt anything; do it.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys. I'll drop that in today and see if I can keep my skinny rear warm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's been around 30 here and by the time I get a mile up the road the inside is warm....this is with a new factory Isuzu thermostat.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You sure you don't just need a new thermo? I had the same problem, heater not blowing real hot. Took out old thermostat (it was toast) and put in a new one with the stock 170 temp. Now it blows nice and hot. It'd been in the 1's and 10's here in Denver.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just my .02 but I would contact Jerry or another Isuzu OEM parts source for the stat. That or if you want to pay the postage I can send you one of the three less than week old Stant or MotoRad thermostats I tried before I went back to OEM. All of them stuck open within a couple of days. Good news is if you don't get an OEM one it will be easy to change when it sticks open.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys. I picked up the stock temp unit today and am waiting for it to cool down so I can install it. I found that when I was in slow traffic on the freeway the temp would raise some and the heater actually got toasty. Hoping this is as simple a prob/fix as I think. On another note, I think my gas economy is suffering from the low coolant temp, too. I know other fuel injected vehicles I've worked on have a cold temp enrichment loop, which enriches the fuel mixture with an additional injector or another mechanism for better running while the engine warms, and if it goes bad it affects fuel economy. Some boy racers will install a lower temp t-stat to accomplish the same thing thinking it will give them more ZoomZoom. We'll see if this is the case here. I'll keep you posted, and thanks for all the good suggestions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It really did the trick for me. Improving the heater at least. But if it gives me better gas mileage then great!

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
definitely stick to the 170F thermostat....there IS a reason Isuzu chose that for the 3.2L engines.

I've been running my rodeo with the 3.2L in below 0 temps last few days, I have good heat within a matter of minutes.

Try changing your thermo, if that don't work, need to flush the radiator

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back from a post-op test drive and the new is good and bad. Good-definitely was a bad t-stat, the heater works great and coolant temp is consistently in an appropriate range-needle is 1/3 of the way between C and H. The issue with the floating rpm's is also resolved, it drops down quickly to idle when you let of the gas where before it would float at about 2k for 10 seconds or more and slowly settle down. Should see an increase in fuel economy with it running at correct operating temp. The bad-with a properly heated motor the oil pressure has dropped significantly. At 3k rpm it's under 30 on the gauge, if it's reading correctly. I'll throw my oil pressure tester on it and see what's up. So, probably more good than bad overall. Thanks for all the good direction and advice! 8)

·
Registered
268 Posts
My oil pressure sending unit was erattic. Had to replace. Now she's reading true!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wdog118 said:
My oil pressure sending unit was erattic. Had to replace. Now she's reading true!
Was that the "you're out of oil" switch or the actual pressure sending unit? One's cheap the other is at least $50!

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
wdog118 said:
That would be the one for the gauge; the cheaper one.

Reactions: Ricardo

·
Registered
268 Posts
shooter said:
wdog118 said:
That would be the one for the gauge; the cheaper one.
Yup the one for the guage. Picked one up at a pull-n-pay for $8 bucks... :D :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is the unit that's mounted by the remote oil filter, correct?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Ricardo said:
this is the unit that's mounted by the remote oil filter, correct?
Yep

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm on a mission

·
Registered
268 Posts
A mission from God?

and looking for the part at the pullnpay?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts