Isuzu SUV Forum banner
721 - 740 of 815 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #722 ·
Got the motor into closed loop and was able to dial timing back to reasonable. At 10* it has no low end get up n go. At 13* it's mildly better but still disappointing. I'm going to give a local tuner a call to work on a custom burned chip. A buddy just did a TBI 4.3 with vortec heads and cam and all that hot rod stuff and was able to get it dialed in nicely for a very reasonable price. So I'm going to go that route too.

I don't know of anyone who had a 3.4 with a bigger cam and stuff that was able to really get it dialed in. Geoff has a bored out 3.1 (3.2) with a lot of stuff done, but I think that the stock computer can handle it in a 3.1. The other 3.4's I hear of running pretty well were take out motors without much else done aside from the intake and 4.3 tbi unit, bigger exhaust. I think with the dohc pistons, the cam, roller rockers, etc, it's too much for the computer to run it well. Hoping a custom chip really opens it up.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #723 ·
Got a ton of stuff to do in the next 3 weeks to prep for a Uwharrie campin trip with some buds. I don't know if I'll get to the tuner - I've got other things I want to check first. After ol Red is ready, I've got a few more potentially very time consuming things to do on the white rig so I can sell it. I'm going to be relieved to be back to one rig to worry about :)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #724 ·
Uwharrie trip cancelled/postponed...stupid hurricane.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #725 ·
Next tentative wheelin' excursions are 10/13 - Gulches, 10/27 - Uwharrie. I'm going to see if I can find the time to pull the steering pump and do a bit of modificationalizing for better steering assist at idle: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/ ... eringmods/

Really not much time for anything else other than grease the RCVs, check fluids, and check for loose nuts here and there. Hoping to get to the tuner as soon as I can cough up the extra $$.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #727 ·
I'll let you know how it goes. Pulling the pump is not a fun process, but I've done it before.

Here's another article outlining the same process:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141012181 ... ering.html

Essentially I want to increase flow at idle and increase pressure (not beyond stock capacity but as good as I can get). I'm putting off hydro assist as long as possible, but I've always had problems with assist at idle with this rig, so hoping to get to where I can steer without having to feather the throttle in 4low.

I really need to revisit the hand throttle as well so I can lock it in at 1k+ rpm and get a bit more help crawlin'.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #728 ·
Alright, so I was just about set to go wheelin' tomorrow at Gulches ORV park, and when I went to take the trooper for a spin and knock the dust off of, I noticed it was pulling hard to the right. Dang ol' caliper is draggin. I just put all new brakes up front last November! POS parts store brand reman junk I guess. Not an expensive project, but it's time and it's missing a day of going four wheelin. Guess it will be end of the month before I'll get back out there.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #729 ·
Pulled the brakes apart on each corner and added caliper grease everywhere (and also did pin grease) and it's improved greatly. Don't know why I spaced on doing that before. Also greased my RCVs. It's pulling to the right still, but I think it just needs an alignment since it's been pulling right forever it seems. Gonna pull the PS pump and do some very minor mods to see if I can get some more assist at idle. I remember getting the pump off and on without pulling the pulley when I put the motor together, but it's been a whlile...hope I still can. I'll get a puller if need be, would just like to avoid another trip to the parts store.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #730 ·
Dropped the trooper off with the tuner guy and I should have it back in a couple more days. Things sound promising. He's tuning it based on the 93 octane in it now, but we can do another chip for 87 if I ever want to for cheap. I reckon if gas gets back up real high it might be worth it. Till then I'll carry around a bottle of octane booster in case I need to use 87 in an emergency.

Anyway I'll keep y'all posted!

In other news, weather is not looking good for this weekends Uwharrie trip, the club may cancel but we'll see. I need some 4low therapy!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #731 ·
Well as luck would have it, my entire house got sick (me included), so no wheelin' for me this weekend.

I did get the trooper back from the tuner, and my initial impression is that it's definitely much smoothed out and a bit peppier. He's suggesting a heated o2 sensor, so I think that will be the next mod. He can also get me an 87 octane tune that I can just swap in or out as I please for a little bit more $$. Good stuff. I'm going to drive it around a bit more over the next couple weeks to develop a better impression of the tune.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Been doing a bit more digging into the steering.

I took my spare pump and pulled the servo/valve assembly, expecting to see what I'd read and seen in other articles:
3.jpg

powersteering1.jpg

But this is what I had:
MVIMG_20181019_165322.jpg

MVIMG_20181019_165326.jpg

Instead of a constantly open pass-through, ours have these "pressure-dongs" that compress with pressure to allow for more flow. So the ol' drill it out to 5/32" trick ain't gonna work.

All I'm looking for is better flow at idle. Started looking into overdrive pulleys. If I can get a 4-4.5" pulley, that will turn my pump faster at idle and give me better pressure. The drawback is that at higher engine RPMs I'd be turning the pump too fast. Even though I don't typically hit more than 5k RPM, and I don't usually do that for any extended period of time, it would be turning the pump at like 8k, which could ruin things quick. The pressure relief would kick in and work fine, but the heat generated from turning the pump at 1500rpm more than it ever should turn would probably be drastic.

I found a racing products company that makes 4, 4.5, 5" etc pulleys but I don't think they have enough offset to work with my accessory system.

So, back to the drawing board. I can probably pull the servo/valve assembly from another pump in a junkyard to get one without the "pressure-dong" and drill it out, but we'll see if I get around to that. I think I should finally revisit the hand throttle I never finished. That would allow me to set the engine RPM around 1200-1300 and get the pump RPM closer to 1500 (typically where pumps are making full pressure) and see how that feels on the trail.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Got to hit the trail this past Friday - went to Big Creek over by Uwharrie to wheel with Lorenzo (SAS Rodeo), Earl (SAS Amigo), Chris (well equipped 1st Gen trooper), and Marty and Heather (well equipped 2nd/3rd gen Rodeo - not sure how the generations work for those!)

[BBvideo 560,340:1h276n91]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxT7e6sW_2o[/BBvideo]
[BBvideo 560,340:1h276n91]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJCC1fP_ZM[/BBvideo]
[BBvideo 560,340:1h276n91]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7psvoegAV4E[/BBvideo]

Everyone was getting lots of pics and vids, and I'm sure they will be linked in the Uwharrie threads as well. I got the vids from Lorenzo. A few other photos:

IMG_20181109_104036.jpg

2018-11-09 14.02.00.jpg

IMG_20181109_150008.jpg

IMG_20181109_125826.jpg

Had a blast, trooper did really well. The tune really helped. I think more than anything, the best bang for the buck for me would be a hand throttle that I could set at a certain RPM. Need to reconfig the rear bumpstops too. They work, but the stock ones get destroyed every time I go out. Also have a definite pull to the right. Don't think it's brakes dragging, must be alignment and/or maybe time to replace the suspension bushings in the Y link arms. Still definitely want to drop the body lift, and I think I'm going to finally get to that this winter.

Hopefully I'll get her out once more before year end.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looks good!
I'm after bump stops to.
Mine are toast

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Alright, little update:

Got 1 of 4 lil projects sorted out so far.

1. Hand throttle:
FB_IMG_1549913526453.jpg

I can add more detail where I went through the firewall and around to the throttle arm once I'm back at the house. Suffice to say I'm excited to test it on the trail. I tried a bit of "cruise control" with it and it seemed to work well. It's essentially a bike shifter, so it holds at each position until you want to move it. So I can set the throttle at some point above idle and let her eat in the rocks and not worry about stalling or my foot bouncing off of it and herky-jerkin' through stuff.

Next up:

2. Need fabricating new bumpstop landing pads and bumpstop mounts. I have been running a ******* engineered situation that I'm hoping to get away from ASAP.

3. Install a tom woods offset u joint for my front driveshaft. I'm already running a single u joint on each end when it's set up for a CV style, so I get vibes as is. I think I can probably get away with just doing the case end of the driveshaft. that's where most of the angle is. The pinion should be fine. Should get 5* more shaft angle out of it, which means I'll also need to extend my limit straps. But for $100 all in for the joint and straps, that would be a big bang for buck.

4. Cut body lift in half. My biggest pains in the you-know-what are cutting out the rockers for clearance for the rock rails, lowering the fuel tank (I don't want to cut up the rear floor and recess the tank into the cargo area via a dogbox, which was an option I was considering), dealing with the radiator and steering box interference - the steering box is directly under the corner of the rad, and potentially steering shaft mods.

I have a used steering shaft if I have issues with my extended one, so it will just take a bit of light fab work. I can create some new tank drop tabs, no prob there. The rad I think I can get away with leaving the tank where it is, and cutting out the hood reinforcement directly above the rad cap for clearance there. The rockers are just cutting stuff out of the way.

Big stuff upcoming next off season will be dual cases and a roll cage.

I've got a line on a duals setup but I won't get it time for this season, and the cage I'll probably work on here and there as I can.

Thinking of doing an interior cage that runs up thru the roof to a halo around the roof, as well as exterior sliders under the rear side windows. A pillar will come down exterior off the halo, and then go under the fender down to the slider, and also in the fender along side the hood and out to protect the corner lights to some extent. (You can see some examples of some of these ideas here: http://thoseguysrodandcustoms.com/offro ... jzj-cages/ or google "hybrid exo cage")

That's about all for now!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #736 ·
Ordered up the super-flex u joint, some rubicon express 4.5" lift coils for an XJ, and longer limit straps. The springs are longer and a lighter spring rate, so ride height will remain the same, but I may need to add a sway bar sooner than later. After measuring what an additional 5-10* of driveshaft angle would net me in front axle droop, I need some longer coils. Probably add a coil keeper of some sore to each end as well. This thing is finally going to flex like crazy.

This weekend I'm going to tackle the bumpstops and maybe start on some parts of the body lift reduction process. Uwharrie is only 2.5 months away!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #737 ·
Got the superflex ujoint in the driveshaft and reinstalled. Also installed the new coils and and 2" longer limit straps. I think I could have gone even longer. I'd need a true vehicle lift in order to check. That Ujoint gave me a lot more angle. I'm nearly maxing out my 11 or 12" travel shocks, so that's cool.

The springs did give me maybe a half inch of additional height, but I'm sure there will be some settling.

Haven't had a chance to put it in 4wd and see how bad the vibes are, but I'm not doing much 4wd at speed in this thing so probably no worries there.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Cool handthrottle. There is something about the throttle pedal setup on these that I always goose it when I hit a slow bump.

Cage idea sounds fun too. Don't skimp on the pictars.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #739 ·
Yeah man, I don't know if it's me or the rig, but sometimes you just get in those bouncy situations and you look like a total kook.

I have a lot to do in the next month. I need to get it to an alignment or body/collision shop to see why the damn thing pulls so much to the right. Hope I hadn't bent anything serious!

This weekend I'm busy but maybe this week and next I can get the bumpstops and landing pads ironed out. Will post pictars fo sho!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #740 ·
Been too busy with real life, but did get out to Uwharrie recently. Just a quick one, but took the whole fam (some pictars in the Spring Uwharrie thread). They dug it, so that's good.

I tried out the hand throttle both as a ******* cruise control on the highway and on the trail. It was VERY useful on the trail. I could set it put it in 1st and just focus on steering. Hit and miss on the highway - long flat stretches would be fine, but any hills are still a lot on the ol' gal so it's not worth much there.

I do need to get this damn thing to a shop to figure out whats up with the alignment. Whether it's trashed components, the steering box, the actual alignment, soemthing bent, I don't know, but I need to find out because it's a PITA to drive on the highway. I was getting about 14 mpg, but I bet if I wasn't pulling the steering wheel to the left the entire time, it might have been a bit better. There are 2 or 3 rides to places 2-4 hrs away this year and I want to be able to get there and back without towing.

Also am thinking about putting on a different muffler. It's pretty load and annoying on the road. Perfect for a teenager who wants to sound like he's got more than he really has, and it flows great, but that's about it.

Some weekends are opening up this month and next, which is good. Still have lots of stuff to get to. I did get the bumpstop extensions fabbed up. They were made out of scrap I had around, so they aren't the prettiest, but for the first time I went wheeling without trashing a bumpstop. I'll try to remember to get a pic next time I post.

But the main thing I learned from those recent projects is that just having a little welder, cheapo welder table, angle grinder, c clamps and a sawzall ain't gonna cut it anymore. I feel like I got hit by a car after a day of wrestling with everything to make anything. So the plan is to pick up a couple vises from a guy next week, then get me a harbor freight portaband, a SWAG offroad portaband table kit, and a pipe notcher tool for the drill (for when the cage stuff starts). Eventually I also need a drill press, brake press, and a bigger welder, but we'll get there. I want to build more stuff myself but I'm over doing everything the hard way.

That's it for the updates. Will get back to work on it soon enough!

721 - 740 of 815 Posts