Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 815 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sounds like you have some plans for the rig. I hope they work out.

Is your 2.8 turbo diesel? I have a 2.8 turbo diesel in my trooper, and I ran 2.5" and a high flow thrush muffler. While it's very quite, because of the turbo, it breaths really well. In fact, the exhaust manifold flange mount is 2.5" id on mine. So, I was just curious about yours.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I wish. It's just the 2.8 GM gasser. Gotta try to find a 3.4. I wish they still made the crate motor. This thing will be awesome with a little more power.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Dropped it off today to the guys at East Coast Gear Supply, and they will be handling what is hopefully just a pinion seal replacement and not a whole front diff tear down, and also installing air bumps or stinger bumpstops up front (still deciding), throwing on a rear anti-wrap bar, front limit straps, getting the ebrakes working, and probably a few other things I think of. As I get updates from them I'll post up, but it will probably be pretty dead in here for the next few weeks. Work's sending me back to Angola until mid-August, and I'll be busy as hell with that and bouncing back and forth from there to Houston every week.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Man I tell ya, the rest of the world gets all the cool stuff. The 70 series land cruisers are like what the troopers should have been. They have a similar look, shape, split rear door (although the little door is on the left on the cruisers), and a radius arm/coil suspension with solid axles front and rear. Oh and a sweet turbo diesel engine. And lots of different body options (single cab/double cab with bed or tray, 2 dr troop carrier, 4 door wagon - aka the trooper clone).

Here's a shot I took out in front of my pad at the construction camp I'm currently working from (Ambriz, Angola):

A pickup and a beat up wagon. Looks familiar don't it?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
paulevans76 said:
Man I tell ya, the rest of the world gets all the cool stuff. The 70 series land cruisers are like what the troopers should have been. They have a similar look, shape, split rear door (although the little door is on the left on the cruisers), and a radius arm/coil suspension with solid axles front and rear. Oh and a sweet turbo diesel engine. And lots of different body options (single cab/double cab with bed or tray, 2 dr troop carrier, 4 door wagon - aka the trooper clone).

Here's a shot I took out in front of my pad at the construction camp I'm currently working from (Ambriz, Angola):

A pickup and a beat up wagon. Looks familiar don't it?
I know man. Here in Chile they have some of the Really Nice brand new landcruisers too. They're not cheap here though. Chile also got the Nissan Patrol diesels too. Those have the same look in the back. That kinda boxy look with the split door thing. The motor options were better for the Landcruisers and the Patrols though. Just makes me sick. I don't have the cash for either. Plus, the Patrols are even rarer than my trooper. So, I don't want to go that parts road nightmare.

Still, I'm not complaining. My trooper rides better than the landcruisers typically do.

Guy down the street from me has a LC 70's, an 1970's FJ, a 98-2000 Patrol, and a 98 Toyota Hilux. All of which are pretty maxxed out. Off-road gear wise. I hate driving by his house, in my mildly modified Trooper. :cry:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Right on. I spent a lot of last year going back and forth to Australia, and they have all of those there too. Oh and don't forget the land rover defender 90's, 110's, pickups, etc. Old and new stuff, many built for the bush, some just jacked up and cool looking, and pretty much none of it available back home! :) But if I can get this trooper where I want it, it will be cooler and better equipped than all of 'em...save for one of those sweet turbo diesels.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Alright, got home and picked the rig up from ECGS. They replaced my pinion flange, seal, front driveshaft, installed limit straps, bumpstop pads, and the rear anti-wrap bar.

The front driveshaft was unexpected, but basically from what they said, the double CV setup that was on there would bind at 1-2" of suspension droop, which was probably part of my pinion seal issue, since it was yanking on it whenever the suspension extended at all in 4wd. So they put in a single joint Oliver's unit in there and they said it would turn, bind free, at the extended limit of the limit straps. Until i can get more drivetrain length, I'm going to be limited to 10" of travel up front. Them's the breaks. I think once I lower it a little and rejigger a few things, I'll be able to get a little more travel out of it.

wrap bar out back:

bumpstop landing pads:

Was going to get the exhaust done but just couldn't make it work this trip.. When I get to come back home in August for a few weeks straight, I'll have the guy do it then.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Did they double check the slip yoke splines ?? Looks like it's pulled out quite a bit unless it's a long spud..

Looks good !!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
They cycled the suspension with it on there to make sure it didn't bind or anything, so I'm pretty confident it's good to go :)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Back home for a few weeks, hoping to get a bit of work done on the trooper. I've got some 1.5" spacers for both axles to give me a bit more width and stability. I'm also going to replace my centerpins and 'u-bolt eliminator' bolts while I pull a leaf from my OME packs. That should drop me around an inch and put my spring rate right at what the heavy duty trooper OME's are (a hair over 215 lb/in). If it ends up too soft I'll figure something out, but I doubt it. I'm going to see if I can rejigger how my adjustable coil bucket bumpstop things are mounted in order to drop the front an inch or so. I gotta get this thing under 7' if I'm ever going to put it in a garage! Next step will be redrilling the front spring hanger mounting holes up an inch, if I can get the front down enough to match.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
IsuzuGeek said:
100% agree. If the 70 Series LC was sold here there's a good chance I would be a Yota geek...
Indeed, indeed. Now if the trooper had gotten the 4.3 GM V6 (like it should have!!!!) instead of the 2.8, it would make it a pretty difficult choice :D

Today I took apart my Currie ACOS coil adjuster thingies and removed the adjusting ring, which brought the front down a good 1/2-3/4". If I really needed to, I could probably shave down the rubber coil seat thingy another 1/4", but I don't think it would be worth it. The missus and the youngster got home just as I finished up, so I didn't get to tear into the back end yet, but I should get it done tomorrow no problem. It's a PITA working in the heat but as soon as it's done, it's done.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Yeah, in my opinion it is strange that the Trooper always used IFS. You would think, with the target market being 4x4 and utility, they would have made the Troopers, at least the 1st gens, with a solid front axle. Not that I have ever really had any issues with IFS, short of torn boots, but it still seems strange to me. Really, the only limiting factors of the Trooper is the underpowered motor and the IFS. A 1st gen Trooper with a 3.5 or 4.3 V6 and a factory solid front axle would have kept the Trooper as a long term, top notch wheeler and expo rig. Still, I mean, I think it IS one of the best, but it would have had more universal appear amongst the 4x4 community.

My current Trooper is pretty much tits. With the ARBs, the narrow tires and the mild lift, it feels just right.

Bart

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Pulled the 5th leaf out of the packs, leaving me essentially with the non-heavy duty version of these leaves, which also happens to be the same spring rate as the HD trooper springs. Can't tell exactly how much ride height I lost, but better than nothing. Didn't turn out too soft, so that's good. I'm going to ride it like this for a while and see how I like it. I still want to ditch most of the body lift, but that will take a ton of work that I don't have time for right now. Gonna drive it a few hundred miles this weekend, so I'll check and see how all my fluids are doing prior to heading out. Might get a little bit of wheelin' in!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
paulevans76 said:
Pulled the 5th leaf out of the packs, leaving me essentially with the non-heavy duty version of these leaves, which also happens to be the same spring rate as the HD trooper springs. Can't tell exactly how much ride height I lost, but better than nothing. Didn't turn out too soft, so that's good. I'm going to ride it like this for a while and see how I like it. I still want to ditch most of the body lift, but that will take a ton of work that I don't have time for right now. Gonna drive it a few hundred miles this weekend, so I'll check and see how all my fluids are doing prior to heading out. Might get a little bit of wheelin' in!
Good to hear about all the progress and refinements! I'm sure your anti-warp bar is helping with the overweight leaf removal as well.
If you go wheeling, try and get us a few photos while your at it.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Trooper did great, put a lot of road miles on her. REALLY wish I had A/C and power windows and creature comforts like that for longer trips. Maybe one day I'll find a nice LS with a crapped out drivetrain to plop down on my chassis. I never cared about the luxury items, and in fact preferred not to have those things when I was younger, but nowadays, especially in summer...

Anyway, today I popped some 1.5" wheel spacers on all 4 corners. I know a lot of you dudes prefer to keep everything tucked in tight, but when you are a foot taller than stock, every little bit of stability helps. I know I say it every other post but I can't WAIT to get rid of most of this body lift!!! I can probably knock the suspension down another inch or two as well. I really want this trooper to become an all-around great rig, capable of comfortably (subjective, obviously) driving a few hours to the trail, handling all trails I can throw at it, and getting back home again without worry.

Now I'm going to head to 4wheelparts to grab a set of hubs (one of the dials has malfunctioned) and pick up one of the free tow straps that they are giving away this week.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm glad it's working out for you.. Need to post up some new pics of the ride height and stuff, not to mention some offroad :)

I really do appreciate my creature comforts of the late gen power everything , but back when I had my 91 getting ac was pretty fab tabulous !! Cold air blowing out in the woods is just to cool !!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
bradzuzu said:
Cold air blowing out in the woods is just to cool !!
I have this 9 months of "Cold air blowing out in the woods", and I don't have any A/C. That's just what it is here. Naw... JK. I know what you mean.

paulevans76 said:
Trooper did great, put a lot of road miles on her. REALLY wish I had A/C and power windows and creature comforts like that for longer trips. Maybe one day I'll find a nice LS with a crapped out drivetrain to plop down on my chassis. I never cared about the luxury items, and in fact preferred not to have those things when I was younger, but nowadays, especially in summer...

Anyway, today I popped some 1.5" wheel spacers on all 4 corners. I know a lot of you dudes prefer to keep everything tucked in tight, but when you are a foot taller than stock, every little bit of stability helps. I know I say it every other post but I can't WAIT to get rid of most of this body lift!!! I can probably knock the suspension down another inch or two as well. I really want this trooper to become an all-around great rig, capable of comfortably (subjective, obviously) driving a few hours to the trail, handling all trails I can throw at it, and getting back home again without worry.

Now I'm going to head to 4wheelparts to grab a set of hubs (one of the dials has malfunctioned) and pick up one of the free tow straps that they are giving away this week.
I've always liked the low slung Rock Crawler look with the wide axles, low cntrs of grav, and crazy stability. I personally am looking forward to seeing this thing adjusted and refined to your liking. Brad does have a point about the wheeling photos tho. You SHOULD REALLY get some put up.

i also have 2" spacers on mine, and it's a lot more stable on off-camber trails. Granted I don't have a SAS, but us lowely IFS's can dream. I want to say that Matt over and INDY4x told me that the factory axles with 2" spacers ended up being 53", but I can't remember for shore. Then again, I have a 92 Trooper, and I don't remember the differences between 1st gens and second gens. So, that that I just said may be completely unimportant. :roll: Oh, well...

21 - 40 of 815 Posts