Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had this error come up? My Rodeo is bucking slightly, running rough. The check engine light is blinking and then steady, blinking and then steady. The conditions it blinks under are not consistent. There is no obvious loss of power. I have recently had all new plugs put in (correct ones), replaced the EGR Valve, Fuel Pump sending unit, Catalytic converter, both oxygen sensors, and had two head gaskets rebuilt.

Just trying to diagnose. Every mechanic I've been to is Rodeo stupid and the dealerships just want to screw you as hard as possible. Need to get that check engine light turned off completely to pass inspection. Otherwise they fail you in Massachussetts.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Need more info. What year, what engine? The only thing that will give a *flashing* check engine light is a misfire. What spark plugs do you have in there?
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 99 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive. It has the right plugs in it. They are the ones recommended by isuzu. What are the various things that can cause misfire. Is it only plugs and/or wires? The check engine light flashes and then goes off as the engine seems to pick up horsepower. This to me means that something starts firing right, but then it will lose horsepower a couple minutes later and start flashing again.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Exactly what code NUMBER did you get? Your "analog to digital" description makes no sense, at least to me. For example, it does not show on the list of OBDII codes (http://www.troublecodes.net/isuzu/iszuobd2.shtml). In case you don't know all Autozones will read your codes for free.

Without a better description we are only guessing at your problem. It could be they didn't reseat a coil pack properly after the plug change and it moves just enough to cause a misfire. Could be a bad injector. Could be a bad spark plug. Could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the analog to digital error on the GM code list in the same site. Maybe my mechanic was using the wrong computer to check. I'll go to autozone and have them check when I pick up new ignition wires. You have been helpful so far. Thank you tremendously for the autozone tip. It cost me $150 for the dealership to diagnose with codes the last time. Highway robbery. I'll let you all know what happens, just in case the story gets more detailed.

·
Registered
591 Posts
5 things to check:
1) From what I've read, the 2.2L likes NGK spark plugs best. Others can cause misfires (DO NOT use champion, autolite or bosch).
2) Check for arching/burn marks on the individual spark plug wires & boots. These can be replaced individually if the rest look good.
3) Camshaft position sensor is problematic on the 2.2. Can be bad & not throw a code. It's under the timing belt cover.
4) Crankshaft position sensor can cause no start & stalling problems. Located on the passenger side of the block, about in the center. Again may not throw a code.
5) Weak alternator/battery/charging system will cause problems. Mainly when equiped with auto tranny.

G/luck
Joel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.