Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 rodeo with the v-6 also. Yesterday after a short drive in the heat I tried to start it and would not crank, then started with very rough idle and died. The reduced power light and the CEL came on, Pulled code and 0401 and 1290 were there. I deceided to clean the throttle tube . When I took off the throttle body it appeared as though there is some sort of screen over the end of the tube? I have not seen any mention of this screen on other post. I proceeded to take the EGR off and clean with carb spray and blow through with air. Still seemed to have screen on end of tube. Reassembled and started with high idle at first and then after driving appears to run fine. Reduced power light went off and I cleared codes. Have driven about 20 miles and runs fine so far.
Is the 1290 code associated with this also or is it something else?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,768 Posts
DTC P1290 is ETC Forced Idle Mode, which is a fail safe condition for the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC ) system, the "Reduced Power" lamp was illuminated because this DTC was set. The ECM can command Forced Idle Mode if it detects an anomaly in the ETC system. You may have a potential problem with the Acceleration Position sensor. DTC P1290 is not related to the EGR problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The acceration position sensor is on the pedal, right. Do you think it could be the throttle position sensor also. Is the APS a dealer only item, and does it have to be programmed to work when replaced? I know the TPS can be bought at my local auto store. Also, what about that screen on my throttle body tube? any ideas?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
11,768 Posts
The APS is on the pedal, there are actually 3 position sensors in a single package, APS1, APS2 and APS3. The TPS consists of 2 position sensors, TPS1 and TPS 2. The ECM checks for consistency between the outputs as well as the MAF signal to ensure safe operation. I believe the APS is available as an aftermarket product. It can be replaced without reprogramming but proper alignment is important. I don't know what screen your referring to, can you describe it in more detail?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The screen seems to be on the end of the EGR tube when I took off the throttle body and cleaned it. I just put carb. cleaner in the egr top tube (after I removed the EGR) and used air to blow out into a 3/8 tube as I held it onto the end. I could not see into very well but it just seemed like some type of screen on the end of it. I may have to take it apart again and try to take a picture. I have seen other post about this and all others seem to be wide open and they talk about using a brush to run through and clean.
Thanks for the updated info on the TPS and APS.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Sounds like maybe someone put a screen on it thinking (incorrectly) that it was getting plugged with gunk from the intake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it unplugged, finally. I took it apart again today and sprayed berryman
02 safe carb spray through it and a big hunk of carbon came out. Cleaned the inside with a brush. The inside of the pipe is clean now. I was just not geting a good look at it before. Hope to get better MPG now, as it was down to 12 MPG.
Thanks for all the help. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts