Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my clutch is squealing/whining but it goes away when i press the clutch in and come back when i realease the clutch does anybody have any idea what it could be? throwout bearing or slave cylinder is it what i came up with when i researched it

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
johnnie59 said:
I never heard of a slave cylinder making noise.. Bad through out bearing is probably the cause.
Through out bearing it is... 100%... thats what is up with me right now...it is very annoying to say the least.

good luck mate

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If the noise disappears once the clutch is depressed, I wouldn't think it is the throw out bearing. If the whine is always there, then disappears when you depress the clutch, I would think that may be a bad input shaft bearing in the transmission. That's my guess anyways.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Is it a "chirp" "chirp" sound with your foot off the peddle? Or a constant squeal?

If it is the first sound then I would put money on a lack of grease on the pivot ball or slave cylinder pushrod.

If it is the second then it could be the input bearing. But they typically make a grinding or turbo charger like sound since the oil in the transmission stops any metal on metal squeal.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
betterthanyou said:
Is it a "chirp" "chirp" sound with your foot off the peddle? Or a constant squeal?

If it is the first sound then I would put money on a lack of grease on the pivot ball or slave cylinder pushrod.

If it is the second then it could be the input bearing. But they typically make a grinding or turbo charger like sound since the oil in the transmission stops any metal on metal squeal.
when I had my trooper in the shop, they said it was the throw out bearing... not the input... I will have to get a second opinion then from a friend at the GMC store at work... he is the master tech on the tranny table... I get noise(turbo charger like sound) in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. not so much in 4th. Sitting idle it squeals and when I press the clutch to the floor, it goes away. Will have John look at it tomorrw and get his diagnosis and I will repost what I find...

cheers
-Ian

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Input shaft it is. I had John at the gmc store look at it and he is 100% sure it is the input shaft bearing... now I am trying to find out if the it can be fixed by pulling the input shaft alone. John told me it could be an easy fix or really tough... he said I should call Harry at Pierson Transmission here in town to see what he thinks. Harry is ther manual guy and knows these things inside and out. I called after work but they were closed already. When I find out I will let you know.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
suzitrooper2 said:
my clutch is squealing/whining ...,
My little sister used to be like that. :lol:
fortunately she grew out of it.
You throw out bearing will just get worse. How many miles on the clutch? cuz if it is old you have to pull the tranny off to change the bearing might as well do it all.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
You should be able to un bolt the plate that the the throw out bearing slides on. This plate should cover the input shaft bearing which may also have a snap ring holding it in. You should be able to remove and replace the bearing after removing the snap ring.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
betterthanyou said:
You should be able to un bolt the plate that the the throw out bearing slides on. This plate should cover the input shaft bearing which may also have a snap ring holding it in. You should be able to remove and replace the bearing after removing the snap ring.
are you talking about doing this without pulling the transmission? Like through the small, dark, greasy inspection hole? If so I think it'd be better pulling the trans.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok thanks you guys. I have a freind that rebuilds transmissions im gonna get him to look at it and give me a quote, im kinda mechanically inclined but i dont have the tools or know how to pull out the trans haha.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
suzitrooper2 said:
ok thanks you guys. I have a freind that rebuilds transmissions im gonna get him to look at it and give me a quote, im kinda mechanically inclined but i dont have the tools or know how to pull out the trans haha.
If it isnt much trouble, could you get some info on the procedure, pwease?.............. :oops:

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
rodeo joe said:
betterthanyou said:
are you talking about doing this without pulling the transmission? Like through the small, dark, greasy inspection hole? If so I think it'd be better pulling the trans.
Oh no way you have to drop the trans. But after that it is easy.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
GOOD NEWS!!!!!! no more squealing, the damn bearing exploded on me today :evil: Was in 4th gear, heard a high shreak and ! :shock: ! through me out of gear. I went to put it back in gear and grind grind grind is all I got. It happened on 65 southbound near UofL. I walked all the way home, 2 hours, in the rain. I decided to walk, to cool me down, I needed it.

suzitrooper2, I advise you get this fixed soon. When it goes, you will not anymore. :roll:

DAMN

cheers
-Ian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.