Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first isuzu and im trying to learn more about them.
My trooper has the 2.8 v6 with a 5 speed. When my foot is not on the clutch and its in nuetral it makes a fairly loud whining sound. Is this normal or something I should worry about?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
That's not a "normal" sound for the MAU5 tranny, but there are people who's transmissions have whined a bit for a long time.

The sound that you have though sounds like it might be a bad throw-out bearing.

Im my experience most MAU5s that start making noise start making it in 4th gear first.

Anyone else have other experience?

-Tad

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It shouldn't be 'whining'.

If you haven't had it that long, I would HIGHLY recommend 'zeroing' all of the fluids - this means replacing EVERY thing that has a lubricant/coolant.

>Trannie - 30W Motor Oil - *27mm bolt on pass-side of trannie - Check immediately before driving again* You should EITHER have fluid run out when you remove the bolt OR, be able to touch fluid by sticking you finger in the hole - If neither of these produces fluid - your trannie is low and may be oil starved - causing the whining!!! :shock: NOTE: Open end wrench works best and when the trannie is warm - NOT HOT!!! I usually have to place the wrench, then go around and reach in from the front and pull HARD (truck in gear of course/e-brake on :lol: ) to 'break' loose the bolt.
>X-fer case - 30W Motor Oil
>Engine Oil - 10W30
>Radiator fluid including flush
>Front Diff - 80W gear oil
>Read Diff - 80 W gear oil
>Power Steering Pump - PW Steering Fluid - * Also check to make sure full and not the source of your whining symptom*
Brake Fluid - DOT fluid - have it reverse flushed if at all possible from all 4 wheels
>Clutch Fluid - I would HIGHLY recommend, if the clutch is mechanically working, to have the slave, and valve dampener (valve on the fender well) replaced, and master cylinder either replaced or rebuilt and the system fluid replaced with new. As the hydraulic fluid ages, and contaminants build up, they settle in the slave cylinder on the trannie and it will eventually fail. If your Troop has been the SE for most of its life, and its as old as mine - guaranteed it close to needing a refurb - and I'm in the process of planning to replace the clutch mechanicals inside the trannie soon.

Knock these items out in as short an order as possible, documenting each one and the mileage/date - that way you'll be 'zero-timing' (pilot-speak) the fluids so you KNOW their status, not what someone told you.

Welcome to the Trooper Family

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ahh, good point on the bearing Tad, didn't think about that - although with mine, I haven't had any odd noises, even when the hydraulics went out and now with the slipping. Trannie has been quiet the whole time.

I have scorched my clutch a couple of times in years past in the sand, but have been quite lucky in that regard.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
OK, if the trannie is in neutral, what exactly is turning. The clutch is engaged, but the trannie is also engaged, just no gears, so the input shaft is spinning, right - just not driving any thing?

Does the noise cease when the clutch-pedal is depressed?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The TO bearing still touches the pressure plate fingers (or ring - I don't know which this clutch has). The whining is due to the bearing being close to toast. If it is the source of the noise, it will make noise all of the time soon, or seize up.

It could also be the input bearing on the transmission, a bearing inside the tranny, or any number of other things.

Does it quiet down if you just touch the clutch, putting a small pressure on it?

-Tad

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys. The whinning stops as soon as you touch the clutch. It does not drive or run rough, just whines. It might be getting close to time for a new clutch anyway because it seems pretty loose.
How hard is the TO bearing to replace?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know if it'd be the TOB. When my throwout bearing went bad, I only had a noise when I pressed the clutch pedle in, not when it was released.

KTT

·
Registered
115 Posts
my 87 2.3 4 cyl. has similar symptoms... mine makes a wining noise at times when sitting at a light when in 1st gear.....if I let up on the clutch a bit it stops...this wining noise(similar to a bad heater blower motor) has been getting worse and more often. :( a friend of mine said he could almost guarantee it was the TOB...i dont know..Im not a mechanic by any means..hehe

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am still strongly considering installing a clutch kit from a 3.1 into my 2.8 troop, I just need to confirm that the part numbers for the 2.8 and 3.1 flywheels are the same..............I have a jack adapter for a trannie, if you want to try to hold off, maybe we can setup a 'clutch party!' :shock:

:lol:

BTW, I live in Smithfield, less than 30min from Raleigh....

Cheers,

·
Registered
558 Posts
the TOB is easy to replace. I would recomend getting a good clutch set up (i just got LUK for my 90 troop) and it should come whith a TOB and pilot bearing as well (little guy thats in the back of the crank to giud the imput shaft). Good Luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be up for a clutch party. I just have to get the trooper running good first, the clutch is not on the top of the list right now.
I live in Durham btw.

·
Registered
115 Posts
RWA3 said:
my 87 2.3 4 cyl. has similar symptoms... mine makes a wining noise at times when sitting at a light when in 1st gear.....if I let up on the clutch a bit it stops...this wining noise(similar to a bad heater blower motor) has been getting worse and more often. :( a friend of mine said he could almost guarantee it was the TOB...i dont know..Im not a mechanic by any means..hehe
The noise has stopped....i havent heard it for 2 days now... :? :?:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yep I would go with the throwout bearing. Sounds likely to me. I've had these go out before and it sounded just like that. Quiet when foot is on clutch. That's where I'd start anyway. Probably cheaper than anything.

Cris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.