Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the freeway accelerating from 65 to 80 (to get around traffic of course) and all of a sudden i felt a "rub" sort of feeling, as if i hit the brakes for .5 seconds and i instantly smell trans fluid. My truck shuts off, i cant shift into any gear so i come to a complete stop just realising my truck is off so i start it back up and shift into first gear then when i ease off the clutch i get an awful grinding chattering sound from the transmission im assuming. I can shift through all the gears but 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear make terrible noises when i ease off the clutch and begin to accelerate. when i get into 4th gear it seems to work fine with a little noise and 5th works ok too with more noise than 4th.

at a stand still, in neutral, i let off the clutch and grinding and chattering begins.
pushing in the clutch the noise stops, and i cant even tell there's a problem.
(all gears shift normal) but 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (and 5th sort of) have extreme grinding noises when the clutch is engaged

any ideas, suggestions, comments, questions?
TIA

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Hate to tell ya it's not the throw out bearing and instead it's the transmission. Dead give away is the lack of noise in 4th. Power transfer is more a direct drive through the transmission in 4th, an alternate route using a countershaft for gear reduction on the other gears. The problem is obviously in this "alternate" route.
Pushing in the clutch you disengage the transmission...no turning = no noise.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
For my money I'd buy a used one. I see on www.car-parts.com a couple in the Tuscon area for $425.00 each. You can have a ton of money in one just replacing more common wear parts as in bearings and such, let alone when you start replacing gears and countershafts!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts