Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am in the process of clearing out my EGR tube in the lower intake and have run into a minor problem... I have removed the bolts from the lower intake manifold, but cannot get the thing to come out. It is being held down on the firewall side. I feel like it may be the EGR mounting surface getting tied up with the fuel rail, as I have not disconnected the fuel rail... any tips? I do not want to disconnect the fuel rail if possible. Also, any suggestions on maintenance I should do while the entire intake manifold is off? I plan on replacing the thermostat, tensioner pulley, serp belt, cleaning and painting the valve covers, radiator hoses, also replacing injector O rings, etc... can I reach anything else while the intake manifold is off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update! It appears as there is a metal line connected from the exhaust to the EGR tube, imagine that!?! Finger is on it in the next pic:
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

The somewhat yellowed metal tube under the EGR mating surface. This seems to be keeping me from removing the lower intake manifold.

Found this allen bolt that appears to be holding that metal tube in place. Follow the tool:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

That bolt under the EGR valve is about to be stripped... starting to get nervous..

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'd remove the fuel rail. It doesn't make much of a mess if you let it run out of fuel before you cut it off. It just makes everything easier and it's always good to replace the injector o-rings. Use a crow's foot on the EGR pipe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That metal line is a pain to remove and re tighten and the crows foot is worth buying for sure if you don't already have one. I think I even bought extra extensions so I could use my ratchet easier. There were also a couple fasteners on the rear passenger side that were a hassle as well.

I did this last summer and I cleaned and polished my valve covers and intake while I was at it. I removed the fuel rail on mine which made it easier but it looks like you have a 3.5l instead of a 3.2l. Does he have the large o-ring for coolant at the back of his intake valley like on the 3.2l? I replaced that while I was at it along with the other stuff you mention and I put new iridium plugs in too.

I left my injectors attached to the lower intake manifold when I did it because I was afraid of breaking them but I should have tried to replaced the o-rings while I was at it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes, there are two coolant o-rings on the 3.5 as well that go into the thermostat housing under the intake (they are equally problematic on the 3.5 as the 3.2). You should 100% replace these while you are in there as they are known to leak and you have to pull the intake to service them. (they are on the heater pipes where they go into the back of the tstat housing)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts