Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disassembled and cleaned/blasted my hubs today. Cleaned all the greasy gunk and rtv with diesel. Blasted the handle and cap with my new little cheapo gravity fed hopper gun from HF. I used plain ol' Baking Soda from the grocery store. Did pretty good for what it is and the talc - like soda. Got most of the black paint off. I also purchased their hobby - grade powder coater which I'll be using within the next week or so. They only had flat black and gloss red powder so I'll be ordering some gloss black. I'll probably do all my Aisins and put them on the market. I'll install new O-rings and the spring/checkball as needed. Might order the body/caps gaskets for the 17-spline hubs. I'll do a light coat of rtv or the Permatex shellac on the 24-spline. Here's some pics.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Nice dude! How much for the sand blaster? and how much for the powder coat? I've been interested in both, but whats been holding me back is having no idea if they are good or not. What was ur experience?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the little blaster was 19.99 + tax. It's ok. It doesn't have the ceramic nozzles of assorted sizes like the big boys' toys. Just one barrel that has an inside diameter of about 3/8"; maybe a bit smaller. I used the baking soda because the soda from HF was in 50 lb. bags and I didn't need all that. The first hub I did I used almost 2 hoppers worth of soda. The hopper holds a bit over 21 oz. Being gravity fed, it took me a while to learn not to point the gun down as the soda will run out some. I did the second one, holding the items in my hand. I aimed the gun up and used only one hopper for about the same results. Sometimes, I would have to tap the plastic hopper to get soda to come out. For 20.00 not bad. I'm going to look for some walnut or plastic grit (not beads). I think it might do better. Without a really small tip, the baking soda is not the greatest. I'm thinking about buying their pressure pot for 75.00; using a 20% off coupon of course. We'll see. Regarding the powder coater, it was 70.00 bucks less 20% (internet coupon). I have an old, full size stove coming next week. Been watching online videos of powder coating in the mean time. Can't wait to see what happens. That's about it I reckon. The blasting took maybe 3 minutes max.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Very nice job...I might have to send mine to ya to have the same treatment done 8) :lol:

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Wow. :shock:

They look awesome. I can't wait to see what they are like after the powder coating.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Got my 220 wired in a minute ago for the oven and ordered my gloss black last night. Getting there. Just finished 4 1/2 hours of mowing. Be glad when fall gets here. :lol:

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
shooter said:
Be glad when fall gets here. :lol:
What? It aint even summer time yet. :lol:

Wait a minute.. :?

4.5 hours of mowing?

How much yard you got man?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a few acres of immediate yard. Going around pissant little trees and such takes forever; with a 50" deck. Weedeating is about another 4-5 hours. It's gets done about twice a season. Heck, this is my third mowing. Hate it. :evil:

·
Registered
429 Posts
they are looking good man :D

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. So I'm cruising a powder coat forum and it's like, Uh, what have I got myself into? On top of that, I find novices posing questions and more so than not, they eat them alive. That'll just about piss me off. I need to search some more and find a more down to earth forum. Something more for the guys with a used oven and a 100.00 gun.8) Some of these guys have multi-jillion dollar set ups, for example, a spray gun rig costing 5,000.00! Spray booths and ovens costing more than my house. They sure have some beautiful work. Right now, I'm just searching for tips and tricks, for example, getting around using the high priced silicone plugs, covers, high dollar heat tolerant tape, etc. Right now, it looks like aluminum foil is my new best friend. :lol: Should be interesting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
man shooter, those look awesome. i am so jealous! yea basically the reason i bought an isuzu was this forum. the other forums i cruised (s10 blazer, jeep cherokee) just had everyone acting like jerks! sorry, didnt mean to hijack... cant wait to see them painted/coated!

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hijack away. This thread is very open. :) Yeah, I'm ready for my gloss black to arrive and get my oven and let her rip.

·
Registered
338 Posts
my buddy who does my welding does that all the time on small parts for his banshees. i guess it works pretty good.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
shooter said:
Hijack away. This thread is very open. :)
Wrong! :evil:

Mention of other forums (Jeep, S-10 etc) must be put into the "other forums" section

Complaints about jerks must go into the "complaints about jerks" sections

Don't even think about asking a question that has already been asked because it was maybe answered 12 years ago by someone who no longer is a member and their answer may or may not be correct.. No back talk! Just search. Think of it like a newbie's right of passage.

If we see this kind egregious behavior again, you will have your zu taken and be banished from the planet forever under pain of death.

Now, if we could get over these constant interuptions PLEASE!

:wink:

·
Registered
338 Posts
^ um, is there a committee that i can beg for my life to or something? i dont wanna lose my zu!!!!

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stusvend said:
shooter said:
Hijack away. This thread is very open. :)
Wrong! :evil:

Mention of other forums (Jeep, S-10 etc) must be put into the "other forums" section

Complaints about jerks must go into the "complaints about jerks" sections

Don't even think about asking a question that has already been asked because it was maybe answered 12 years ago by someone who no longer is a member and their answer may or may not be correct.. No back talk! Just search. Think of it like a newbie's right of passage.

If we see this kind egregious behavior again, you will have your zu taken and be banished from the planet forever under pain of death.

Now, if we could get over these constant interuptions PLEASE!

:wink:
Um, that's what I meant to say. I just phrased it in a manner a bit inconsistent with my intention. :lol:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shooter said:
I believe the little blaster was 19.99 + tax. It's ok. It doesn't have the ceramic nozzles of assorted sizes like the big boys' toys. Just one barrel that has an inside diameter of about 3/8"; maybe a bit smaller. I used the baking soda because the soda from HF was in 50 lb. bags and I didn't need all that. The first hub I did I used almost 2 hoppers worth of soda. The hopper holds a bit over 21 oz. Being gravity fed, it took me a while to learn not to point the gun down as the soda will run out some. I did the second one, holding the items in my hand. I aimed the gun up and used only one hopper for about the same results. Sometimes, I would have to tap the plastic hopper to get soda to come out. For 20.00 not bad. I'm going to look for some walnut or plastic grit (not beads). I think it might do better. Without a really small tip, the baking soda is not the greatest. I'm thinking about buying their pressure pot for 75.00; using a 20% off coupon of course. We'll see. Regarding the powder coater, it was 70.00 bucks less 20% (internet coupon). I have an old, full size stove coming next week. Been watching online videos of powder coating in the mean time. Can't wait to see what happens. That's about it I reckon. The blasting took maybe 3 minutes max.
Took my little blaster to a friend of mine today. Though I purchased a pkg of assorted sized ceramic tips, I was under the impression I couldn't use them. He pulled the barrel off and the tips inserted into the "receiver" end of the barrel; no problem. It still made no difference with the smaller diameter tip. I'm going to experiment with the different sizes and air pressures and see if that does anything. As stated, I used grocery store baking soda. I don't know if the sodium bicarbonate purchased from media suppliers is more coarse or what. The grocery store stuff is like talc and I have a feeling it clogs up some. In the next couple of days, I'm gonna get finely ground corn from another friend. It goes in his feeders for his chicken houses. That might be the ticket. I'll post the results of all this as I try these different methods. My first friend did demo his pressurized abrasive blaster and it worked super. Pretty cheap route to go for the hobbiest. HF has them for 75.00 (the 20 lb. model) and it includes the vertical blaster tank, funnel, blasting hood, teflon tape and manual. The rig has four shutoff valves. It works by the vessel being pressurized and blowing the media up and out, unlike my self explanatory gravity feed system or the siphon design. He also showed me a modification to his blaster which consisted of a length of pipe and a shutoff valve. The inside pipe diameter accepts the assorted ceramic tips. The reason behind the mod (according to him) is that the "gun" which comes with the system doesn't last all that long if you're shooting heavy media like steel grit, sand, etc. over an extended time. That reminds me, I need to take my camera down to his house and show ya'll his latest project. He's building a new heating system for his house (basement + single story. It's heated water coming off a wood heater. Kind of hard to explain without the pics. He and another friend built one this past year for the other friends house and it worked great. They do a lot of that kind of stuff. Couple of years ago, they built a remote control plane using a friggin' 2 stroke weedeater motor. Big and fast. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts