Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Looks very nice, low miles & the 5-speed is definitely a plus. It should run & drive like new.

I would ask them to post a vid of a cold engine start & a short drive. Listen for any abnormal engine noises, the 3.2 can have worn valvetrain & a lot of top-end tapping as a result.

Already bid up to $7777, someone likes this rig a lot!

BTW, someone posted that this engine is interference; it most definitely is Not. So the timing belt is a concern, but it's not gonna bust any valves if it lets go. I would inspect it, though. It's a bit past age limits if original.

G'luck if you bid on it.......ed

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd pay $8,000 for it if I were in the market for it but that's as high as I would go. It's SUPER clean though.
I have a 96 trooper that I enjoy quite a bit although it isn't as clean as that one and from what I can tell, the 95/96 Troopers were some of the best years for them.

I've considered selling mine and it looks like now would be a good time if I wanted to do that. After fixing all of the minor problems common to these vehicles and buying 6 Yokohama mud tires, 3:1 gears, plus some other stuff for it it almost wouldn't be worth it.

Between this and that diesel conversion we've seen some nice troopers be auctioned in the last week or two. I wonder why it seems like they're selling so many Troopers right now. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks very nice, low miles & the 5-speed is definitely a plus. It should run & drive like new.

I would ask them to post a vid of a cold engine start & a short drive. Listen for any abnormal engine noises, the 3.2 can have worn valvetrain & a lot of top-end tapping as a result.

Already bid up to $7777, someone likes this rig a lot!

BTW, someone posted that this engine is interference; it most definitely is Not. So the timing belt is a concern, but it's not gonna bust any valves if it lets go. I would inspect it, though. It's a bit past age limits if original.

G'luck if you bid on it.......ed
Per your suggestion, I asked, and he provided a video.

I don't hear anything abnormal, but, I don't have a trained ear either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds pretty good to me. Mine has a slight lifter tick that goes away but I think it is actually the hydraulic timing belt tensioner maybe. I don't hear anything on this one.

Are you going to try and get it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm sure it's one of the nicest ones in the U.S. but the price is getting to the point where it may not be worth it unless you really like Troopers. It's at $12,000 now and I have a feeling it might get closer to $15,000 considering how much that diesel conversion went for recently.

Seeing how high these two have gotten has me considering selling mine before I get any deeper in it and replacing it with a Toyota because of long term parts availability worries. I'm not really worried about replacement parts but stuff like diff lockers, ARB bumper, etc.

As far as keeping a stock one running for another decade or so, I don't think they'd have too many problems.

If you want it and don't mind paying $12,000+ for it you ought to buy it. I doubt you'll ever come across a nicer one for sale but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It went for $13,700. Did you get it?

With those near perfect Troopers going for that much it makes me think I should be able to get $6,000 or so for mine if I sold it to the right person..

What do you guys think a Trooper in decent condition is worth these days? I'd figure about $5,000-6,000 for a solid manual transmission one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Seeing that sell for almost 14k has me tempted to try and sell my Bighorn hahahah. I've got 85,000 Km and almost as good condition. Love troopers but the whole point of getting one for me was it's a cool, reliable, and CHEAP car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One thing that helped those, this gas Trooper and the really nice diesel swapped one, is that they were left hand drive. I'm assuming your bighorn is right hand drive and even though it might hurt the value some the fact that it is a bighorn and a diesel (I'm assuming) should balance out the fact that it is right hand drive.

If I knew for certain that I'd be able to put another 200,000-300,000 miles/10-20 years on my Trooper and be able to find the ARB parts for it that I want I would keep mine.
Parts availability and gas mileage for its size are the only downsides I can really think of when it comes to these Troopers. Other than that, they're great vehicles. I'd put them above a 4Runner of the same year but not quite as good as a Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
46 Posts
One thing that helped those, this gas Trooper and the really nice diesel swapped one, is that they were left hand drive. I'm assuming your bighorn is right hand drive and even though it might hurt the value some the fact that it is a bighorn and a diesel (I'm assuming) should balance out the fact that it is right hand drive.

If I knew for certain that I'd be able to put another 200,000-300,000 miles/10-20 years on my Trooper and be able to find the ARB parts for it that I want I would keep mine.
Parts availability and gas mileage for its size are the only downsides I can really think of when it comes to these Troopers. Other than that, they're great vehicles. I'd put them above a 4Runner of the same year but not quite as good as a Land Cruiser.
Yeah RHD is a con for a lot of people but I got used to it pretty quick and it's fun. I agree, I'd take my Bighorn over a 4Runner/Hilux Surf. I would take a Land Cruiser over it but didn't wanna shell out big money for a diesel LC.

I think the trooper is one of the most underrated and capable SUVs out there. Had it when I lived in the mountains in Utah and the gulf coast in Texas & Florida it was great! I've had almost no issues with the car and 4l80E and just a few issues with the 4JG2 engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts