Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an intermittant problem that I keep thinking I fixed, but it keeps coming back! The problem is that when I have been driving my Amigo for a while, and go down a steep grade, when I turn to the right it starts clanking. It doesn't happen all the time, either - it is just a crap shoot to see if it does. When going up a grade, the clanking stops. The noise is just when I turn to the right and just when going down a steep grade.

Things I have checked are my power steering fluid and I have made sure that I don't have a tire rubbing somewhere. Also, the noise seems to come from the front driver's side.

Now I am starting to think that my power steering pump is starting to go... Anyone know what else it could be or experienced this before?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I had a noise that I thought was suspension related for a long time. It ended up being my hood hinges were worn. I took some black heater hoses and closed the hood hinge on the hose. It's not enough to make the hood stick up further than it should, but it is however enough so that the hood no longer rattles.

I swore it was in the suspension, then up under the dash.....

Joe

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it isn't a rattle. It is a loud, distict "clank, clank, clank" noise.

Oh, and yes I am 4wd. Wouldn't the CV's clank all the time if it were them?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
CV's mainly make a clicking sound, not clanking. They usually do it while turning because the axles are binding a bit in a turn so more stress on them.

Check the your shocks for signs of the anti sway bar hitting it. Also make sure there is the same distance between them on both sides. There usually isnt much distance between them. Mine kept moving to the left until I replaced the bushings/mounts.

It could also be control arm bushings. Mine used to make a loud pop when I did a sharp slow speed turn. Now it rattles anytime I hit a bump or turn right. (I'm finally getting that fixed next week btw, decided to pay someone to do it).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Before my CV actually exploded it made a clanking noise before it went, but wouild only do it on a turn. After it exploded it clanked all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts