Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Chip Or Holley Carb ?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  maxwell417 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me some advice on which would be the most practical and cost effective. I have read a few articles about the Holley 3210 coversion, but was wondering about a performance chip. My 1990 trooper has 200,000 miles and needs some help :( . Any advice would be most appreciated.

#2 ·
Personally I have heard a number of times that the chips don't really do much. If you want performance enhancement (sounds like spam huh?) I would work from the bottom up so to speak. You can do a lot with exhaust pipes cam etc etc. Then again I prefer to do things the old school way.
Just my .02 feel free to give change LOL

Cris

#4 ·
I am in the same boat. My 2.8 has like 193K, and after same serious thought I am considering the roller rockers and/or Cam change. I think the Holley would be more effective than a chip. But in all reality have you done a compression check. At 200K miles is it still a healthy motor??? I already have a free flowing exhaust and I need more fuel flow.

#6 ·
Right on, 3.4's rock! A bone-stock 3.4 would still be better than a modified 2.8.

Chip is wasted money IMHO and if used would be on top of all other engine mods. You can make some of the gains that a chip would give you by simply advancing your timing 3 or 4 more degrees from the stock 10 deg BTDC setting. Or cranking it up to about 15-16 degrees and using premium gas, which is likely what you'd have to use with a chip anyway.

For the bucks, a better exhaust and 1.6:1 roller rockers will give you a lot of extra performance. 2-1/4" is a good size for 2.8's and 3.4's too, if you have a 3.4, 2-1/2" will breathe a bit better (overkill on a 2.8 however).

Upgrade the intake side while you're at it; simply invert the air cleaner lid; use a K&N filter; add an extra snorkel to the existing housing(that's what I did); install a better-breathing air cleaner assembly; or DIY cold-air induction.

The Holley (or modified GM 4.3 TBI) and bored-out intake manifold would be a good addition atop all the above mods. If you have stock exhaust and intake you won't see much gains with the Holley and it will be "overcarbureted".

If you haven't seen this at the Outdoor Wire, it's a good primer for the budding 60 deg performance enthusiast:

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/60degreeV6/?

HTH and Power to the V6 Right On..............ed

#7 ·
Also if you're going to go with the exhaust, I would seriously consider getting her ported too. It's amazing what a difference having that done makes. It's a lot easier for the gas to run into the chambers if there is no obstruction. I don't know about motors now but my old 60's and 70's cars needed that. Also if you're going to strip it, you might want to look into blueprinting. It's expensive but worth every penny.
If you're serious about it, it's worth spending a good amount once and not having to do it again.

Cris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.