Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys every time i go on the computer and start looking up stuff for my trooper the same add keeps popping up. its for GFchips.com and they talk about how they have an aftermarket chip for vertually any vehicle with a computer. so i checked it out and found one for my trooper. they boast up to 60 HP gains, 4-7 mpg, and lower emissions, all for $70. now i would say that sounds rediculus. but heck even if it gave you 5 hp and 1mpg it would pay for itself in a short time. so my question is, Are they legit? Has anyone heard of them or have one? any info would be great. thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im pretty sure i just answered my own question, i googled gf chips and a whole bunch of forms popped up and a bunch of people were talking about how they are crap and that they are not worth the time, money and hassle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
sounds like a load of ****. notice how the same description is stated for every make and model with the vehicle name conveniently inserted in all caps. not to mention there isn't even a tab to tell them what engine or transmission your vehicle is equipped with. im sure its just like the ones on ebay that turn out to be just a resistor you jam into a sensor plug and tape it off. no chip will ever give you 60 more horsepower or the mileage gains they claim. well, maybe if youve got a big diesel and youre using a programmer. sorry, but it's a scam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NEVER MIND!!! maybe i should read alittle more before i go posting crap. sorry to waste your time guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
better off posting here than possibly getting ripped off. what year/model/engine/trans are you in search of a chip for? (putting this info in your profile signature helps out greatly)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ha, im a little computer illiterate. its a 1998 isuzu trooper w/3.5 v6. idk im pretty sure there arent any programmers for it. ill probably just have to stick to cold air and such. im pretty new to this stuff, im 21 and the trooper is a family/fun car for me so i wanna kinda get the most out of it as possible with out screwing myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
idk what the tranny is, to be brutilly honest i havent even picked up the trooper yet. im doing some mission service for my church and ill be going home in aug and it will be waiting for me there. i like to look up different parts and stuff, kinda do my homework, if you know what i mean. thats actually the reason i signed on here cause you guys actually know what your talking about. so thank you.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Alters your fuel/air ratio, timing, and other aspects of your engine?
All while plugged into the Air Temperature Sensor?
For and Isuzu?
For $60?

Yea, well good luck with that Gforce chip...

Clutch is right all this thing is, is a resistor that "alters" the reading of the IAT and maybe changes the F/A ratio just a little. This has SCAM written all over it, IMO.

Phil, I don't mean to come across as a know-it-all douche, sorry if I did.
Now, if you do want to increase HP or Torque on your Troop then intake, exhaust, and a longer gear is the way to go. It won't be the 60+ these guys claimed, but it'll be enough for you to have some fun with.

Good luck, and Welcome to The Planet!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, your saving my rear end here. i usually am pretty good with vehicles. i was raised doing all my own mechanic work. the only problem is i only know deisels and carburator gas engines. this electronic stuff blows my mind. and dont worry about feeling like a know it all, i would rather have some guy chew my butt for being dumb then being dumber and spending money on something that was useless :) seriously thank you guys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i found some cold air intakes and even a mass airflow sensor(which might come way later) but i couldnt for the life of me find any good exaust systems, the only thing i could come up with was do it my self. couldnt really find a kit. and for gearing kelly blue book says that my troop comes stock with 4.30 gearing. i figured i would play around with it first to see if i need it, and if so maybe find 4.56 gearing. at least i think that was the one that fit? i cant remember. some other mods i was thinking of was aisin manual hubs, 929 ome springs and some new shocks with a tor/bar crank. it will be a daily driver but i wanna be able to have fun. does this all sound right to you guys?

·
Registered
676 Posts
cowboy phil said:
i found some cold air intakes and even a mass airflow sensor(which might come way later) but i couldnt for the life of me find any good exaust systems, the only thing i could come up with was do it my self. couldnt really find a kit. and for gearing kelly blue book says that my troop comes stock with 4.30 gearing. i figured i would play around with it first to see if i need it, and if so maybe find 4.56 gearing. at least i think that was the one that fit? i cant remember. some other mods i was thinking of was aisin manual hubs, 929 ome springs and some new shocks with a tor/bar crank. it will be a daily driver but i wanna be able to have fun. does this all sound right to you guys?
Yea you gotta do a DIY or ******* engineered exhaust system. I cut the flange and welded a Cherrybomb Glasspack and a turndown to mine. Its got a nice growl to it.

As far as gearing goes, I've got the 4.30 in my Rodeo, and I like it. If you ran bigger tires 4.56 or 4.77's are almost required.

Manual hubs are the way to go, autos chew the splines of CV axles. I hear the 929's are really stiff springs, like for towing, but its all about personal preference too. If you do the t-bar crank be sure to get an alignment.

All your ideas sound great man, enjoy your Zu!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK in referance to the 929 springs ill tell ya what im gonna do with it and you tell me if it will work. i wanna off road but the majority of it will be on the road. the biggest thing i will tow is a 4 wheeler and trailer or the occasional jet ski. i plan on making full front and rear custom bumpers with guards on them, a roof rack and the essential tools in the back. floor jacks, jack stands, socket and ratchet sets and maybe a jerry can for gas. the only time ill tow is like once a month during the summer and like everyother month in the winter so not much. im all for suggestions and ill probably get what you guys recommend cause im a dinger on this stuff and deffinantly a newb. so thanks guys

·
Registered
645 Posts
cowboy phil said:
take it to a local exaust shop and have them put a pipe and muffler on for you. as far as a kit they dont have it. I have a cat back magnaflow and it sounds nice.

I want duals tho.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I checked on the chip thang and all i found was that i could send in my brain and have it reprogramed, Crazy could be cool but what if ya know..
I made my own cold air intake with a nice big k&n... Then built dual exaust with two harley altered mufflers sounded and ran good but was a tad bit to loud.. So I purchased a flowmaster dual in and out and put that in..It still rocks feels like 220 hp plus.. This is on my oo amigo with the 3.2 still just a little loud but the performance is worth every bit..

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ive ran JET ECU Chip on a N/A and a Supercharged 99 amigo with CAI High Flow exhaust,ported T/B Ported heads and intake and have had nothing but GREAT GAINS and Reliability....

im currently running 10lbs of boost on a JET ECU upgrade...

Quite honestly ive done the back and forth with a stock ecu and jet, and its a huge driveable difference....

I think ive tested Jets reliablity and then some....

i say go jet.....if you cant afford a stand alone....for the money its a great gain...! Just do all your mods first or plan it out and get the Chipp made for your mods....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.