Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I have a pretty nice amigo that nobody wants to buy so im thinking of putting a chevy v8 in it. I have a 383 stroker project in the garage that will need a home, so why not the amigo??

Anybody know if this can be done? Are there any adapters made for this conversion? Thanks

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
It can be done but everything will be custom. There are first gen Troopers that have 350's in them and the issue that they have run into was the distributor being in the back was somewhat troublesome, the firewall had to be cut out or beaten back for clearance.

The front axle (If you are 4wd) will be in the way of a typical oil pan. You will either need to run a dry sump or piece together a few oil pans for clearance. This is if you are going to keep the IFS. If you plan to do this most people decide this is a good time to upgrade to a soild front axle. The 79 Jeep Wagoneer axle is about the right width and many have made it work.

You will have to find a good tranny that will bolt to your 383 and you will need to keep the transfer case on the passenger side.

Everything here is custom work. Crossmembers, motor mounts, exhaust......

Can it be done, yes. I was planning on running a 302 in my 88 Trooper. I was going to use a C6 automatic tranny and a NP203 front half mated to a Dana 300 Transfer case. This would have been a great combo but my wife wanted a new car so I sold the Trooper. It's going to be a lot of work and a lot of money.

Joe

·
Registered
1,906 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, im seriously considering trying this v8 swap. Would anyone be interested in my 2.6 engine, 5 speed trans, or transfer case? All are in EXCELLENT condition with 85k miles. All fluids have been changed at recommended intervals, and the clutch was replace about 25k miles ago, and a new timing belt installed 5k miles ago.... Let me know what this stuff my be worth. Thanks

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I assume you know that the tranny and t-case are one piece. They do not separate.

I will say if you go to the trouble of doing a chevy V8 swap don't do it with a 305 :lol:

The 350 or the 383 is the same block size, that engine must have been free or something.

I highly doubt that the front axle is going to be stout enough for the power that a 383 will put out. I'm not all that concerned about the diff and I am about the CV's.

I'd love to see how they did the oil pan in the Amigo off Ebay. I bet it won't hold very much oil.

Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I never paid enough attention to the tranny/transfer case in the amigo to see that they were one piece... Ok, i guess I will be selling them together then huh? lol... Anyhow, I know my chevy small blocks real well and i would NEVER go through this much work for a 305. I have a 383 stroker im building and that will be the donor. Probably a 700r4 trans so that the amigo could still go down the highway (overdrive tranny).

I emailed the guy on ebay that has that v8 amigo. He said the stock oil pan clears the diff with no problems. He said the tightest fit was the exhaust on one side going clearing around one of the driveshafts coming off the header. He made his own motor mounts, and crossmember. I think i could probably do this. I was going to put the 383 in a mazda rx7 that I have, but I think the amigo would be funner...

You dont think the axles will hold up? Mine has the all wheel disk brakes. I thought those were suppose to be pretty strong? It will be a mild stroker motor, with 425-440 HP. Do you think that will kill the front/rear ends? Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Do you think that will kill the front/rear ends?

Well, probably.

If you keep your foot off the loud pedal, they'd probably hold up, but do you really think that's gonna happen? :lol:

Jim

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
There's no possible way the stock oil pan will clear the front axle. Get under your truck and look how the Isuzu pan is made to clear the front axle.

Most people have to put a body lift in order to have the room under hte hood to get everything in there.

Ask him for some pictures of the oil pan clearance. If he sends them post them here. I'd be curious to see.

Joe

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
It will. Even if he has the 3.2 it will fit. You would just need to change the front case of the tranny. It's not very hard to do. You may also have to change the the tail housing to a slip yoke style. Unless you would want to swap driveshafts and keep the fixed yoke.

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.