Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brakes are garbage on my '75 LUV...so going to upgrade them to the later style disc brakes...

To do so, I've got to swap the hubs up front. Are Trooper hubs the same?

I heard a rumor that the Trooper vented discs will also fit in the LUV disc calipers.

Also, anyone know if the thread pitch of the brake lines are the same for all? There are stainless steel brake lines for Troopers, but not LUV's

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Not sure if this will be much help but I read where some of the 1st gen Pup guys put 2nd gen pickup spindles in their trucks. These were 2wd though. I would say that you might need to re-drill the upper and lower ball joint holes to fit a Trooper spindle on the older LUV a-arms. You'll probably would need the Trooper ball joints. Plus they probably have bigger tie rods on the Trooper spindle, not sure if they'd be the same thread as the earlier steering components...... Betting that you'd need to upgrade your Brake master cylinder too. Then would be your CV joints to deal with. The cups inside the smaller axle is like the early 86'- 87' Troopers and 81' - 87' pups(I think). To get it to work with the disc brake Trooper spindle you might have to make some sort of hybrid cv joint, not really sure since you'd be mixing generations.

I'd be interesting to see if it could be done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah...so it sounds kinda pie in the sky, but if I'm reading it all right....Trooper (thru 86) vented discs and calipers will interchange with a LUV.

So, to all you ISCREWEDU owners, what changed about the braking system in 87?

Even according to the fit support of Tire Rack, their entire brake parts menu changes in 87 from 86.

In 87, you can get cool stuff, like pads, Brembo vented rotors and Goodridge stainless lines.

And just why wouldn't a 87 brake line, rotor or caliper fit a 86?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not if these boys are swapping DISC brake rotors and DISC brake calipers from pre '87 Troopers.

So, '87 went to a new frame design? As far as any Trooper owners know, are there compatability issues with pre '87 parts on '87+ Troopers? As in, will brake lines, calipers, rotors not interchange?

Clearly, pre-'87 Troopers had front discs if people are harvesting them for their disc rotors and calipers.

Well, as far as my snide remarks go, I guess I can't rant yet....my "Isuzu" hasn't let me down yet

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here is how i upgrade front Drum Braked Chevy Luv's to Trooper vented Calipers & rotors.

1. Find a donor 79 80 81 82 Chevy Luv or 83 84 Isuzu Pup
2. Remove the spindles/stub axles complete with hub, caliper mount, backing plate and steering arms.
3. Remove the pitman arm, idler arm, drag link and tie rods and tie rod ends.
4 Find a donor Trooper pre 87(?) with vented rotors and calipers remove the rotors/calipers and flexi brake line.
5. Assemble above parts to your vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Mylesofsmyles said:
Not if these boys are swapping DISC brake rotors and DISC brake calipers from pre '87 Troopers.

So, '87 went to a new frame design? As far as any Trooper owners know, are there compatability issues with pre '87 parts on '87+ Troopers? As in, will brake lines, calipers, rotors not interchange?

Clearly, pre-'87 Troopers had front discs if people are harvesting them for their disc rotors and calipers.

Well, as far as my snide remarks go, I guess I can't rant yet....my "Isuzu" hasn't let me down yet
:D Glad it hasn't let you down.

To answer your question, I believe 84'-86' Troopers had smaller brakes. 87' was the cross over year that things were upgraded so later build dates may have the 88 components.

In theory you could grab the parts off of an 87 Trooper and make them work on lower years. (someone correct me if I am wrong here). 87 had the weaker 8 bolt axle that went with the 84-87 Troopers which was also ran in LUVs and Pups. I know the lock out hubs from an early LUV will work on 84-87 Troopers so it would be safe to assume the axles would be the same and probably the A-arms. Lots of parts will interchange between different Isuzu models. If you wanted the larger brakes available on 88 and up, you would probably have to do something like I was trying to describe in my 1st post. There might be a few hybrids 87's that had the larger brakes and smaller axles. They'd be pretty rare though if they did exist. I'm sure it can be done but it'll probably take some trial and error to get things to work. Being that you are 2wd, you'll need to block off the CV passages on the 4wd spindles because all early model Troopers came in 4wd here in the states. To make it easier and or really complicate things........ 88' and up pickup 2wd spindles may work the same way as I was describing using the Trooper spindles.

Look at this thread on IsuzuPup.com, I'd bet that that Sundown fella would be more help than me.

http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13880

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I know the lock out hubs from an early LUV will work on 84-87 Troopers
theres the 17spline in 87 though
not true there's two bolt patterns in the 1979 to 1987 hubs, OE manual hubs for the late 24 spline 84\86 are insane rare in the USA. rare as in........ive yet to find any....type of rare :shock:
i have a set off a 1981 GEN2 LUV and they WOULD NOT FIT A 1986

in the pups they have 24 spline tell 88 then they get the 17s
troopers 87 and on they have the 17 spline.

i would think any 81\86 brakes could be used on a GEN1 LUV with soled front disc brakes as an up-grade.

as to the 2wd LUVs with drums on the front wheels, i know there's a up grade listed on LUV truck that's dedicated to just that.http://www.luvtruck.com/Information/Brake_swap.htm

i know the brake up grade for the 87\91 trops will not fit the 84\86 models.
so something BIG changed from 86 to 87

yes an 87 trooper has the 10\8 axils but its a wider track that year, and the front suspension is like the 88 ups making it quite diffrent, best i know.

putting 88\91 brakes on a GEN1 LUV we need JERRY on this....... cause i know of no one that has done that.

i reserve the right to drastically edit this post, do to not getting any sleep for near 48 hours :oops:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should specify...I'm asking, specifically for a 2x4 LUV or Trooper....

Though, it sounds like the brake components are the same regardless,

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Cronk said:
Oh, I didn't realize the 1st gen LUV manual hubs were different. Thanks for the correction.
The opposing bolt holes (center to center) on the Luv and such are 76mm as compared to the 86 trooper which are 80mm. Insane. I have a set of the smaller aisin hubs if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Check out luvtruck.com if you haven't already. Early Trooper to LUV brake upgrades are common, write ups with pictures available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts