Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes. It is the D-Max, a vehicle that Isuzu co-designed with GM (Isuzu handling vehicle design, GM handling marketing and sales...or something like that). It has been for sale overseas, specifically in Thailand, for several years now, at least a year or two previous to the release in the USA.

As far as I know the only reason Isuzu did not import their own, better version, with the diesel motors is due to the horrible taxing on Thai Pickups in the USA, known as the Chicken Tax.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
JTK said:
tuner-automotive said:
So is the new chevy colorado a isuzu ?
Actually the 'isuzu' is a chevy colorado :shock: :roll: .
ACTUALLY...

*The Isuzu D-Max is an Isuzu D-Max - accept no substitutes!

*The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon is a CLONE of a D-Max, with an inferior engine/trans selection, and redesigned (IMHO: ugly, ‘Spock eyebrow’) fenders.

*The Isuzu i-280/i-350 are rebadged Canyons/Colorados.

In other words...

Here in the US, the new Isuzu pick-up is basically an adopted, homely, neutered pseudo-copy of itself. :roll:

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Do not forget the Hummer H3 is a D-Max as well.

I wonder if it even comes off the same assembly line the Trooper
use to come off of in Indiana.

They should have put in the 3.5DI in the H3 instead of that Dumb Arse
I 5.

·
Registered
546 Posts
E-ZooZoo One said:
(IMHO: ugly, ‘Spock eyebrow’) fenders.

Cheers!
Smiley
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's too funny.

On another note, I believe that H3 is the only acceptable product to meet that D-Max plaform (just short of the diesel). I would get one if I had the clams. I'm proud of gm/hummer on that one.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
timrkopi said:
Do not forget the Hummer H3 is a D-Max as well.

I wonder if it even comes off the same assembly line the Trooper
use to come off of in Indiana.

They should have put in the 3.5DI in the H3 instead of that Dumb Arse
I 5.
You probably meant the Rodeo/Amigo line in Indiana. That was done at the SIA (Subaru Isuzu of America) plant which is now 100% owned by Subaru.

So, I have my doubts that the H3 or the Ridgeline are being produced there.

-Tad

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I have a feeling, all the problems, the newer zoo's have is because of GM's ideas. Ya know, "Make a cheap product, make lots of money"
Chevy is known for its cheap build cost. And it shows in their products.
I think next time, im gonna find a 97 and pray for the best. My troop is in good shape, and every tech that looks at it, says it is. So im not too worried. Just want it to stay that way.

·
Registered
327 Posts
tuner-automotive said:
well I aint gettin one! :?
I was at my local stealer last week getting a new vapor canister and was approached by a salesman. He "jokingly" asked me if I was there to trade in my Rodeo on a new Isuzu. He didn't seem to appreciate it when I told him that I didn't see any Isuzus, only Chevys. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
558 Posts
that kinda breaks my heart that we dont realy have any Isuzu in the states at the moment. Aside from NPRs and FRVs(i think thsts the bigger guy). But i dont feel like driving a 5ton flat bed everywhere, or do i... :lol:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah I have to agree, I think Isuzu/GM was pretty dumb for dropping the "Real" Isuzu's and especially that wounderful 3.5 DI only after a year or so on the market (would be really nice to see that engine, or the 4.2 I6 end up in the H3 with a 5-speed :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )

·
Registered
558 Posts
well the 3.5L I-5 that comes in the H-3 is no slouch (200+ HP and TQ) and you can get em whith an Isuzu MA5 tranny just like the Coloado/ Canyon.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Oh i know that, but the thought of 290hp and 300+ft lbs tq all backed up by a MA-5 and having 4.1 t-case gears just sounds really really good from the factory!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.