Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has tried this swap or know of how difficult it is? My (3rd) engine is a pos and well im tired of these dreaded 2.6's haha

I got an 89 spacecab and looking to do a swap this winter while shes put away.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I assumed that the 2.6 PU is a 4WD, if it's a 2WD, there's a lot of different drivetrains you could stuff into there including a SBC V8. In that case I wouldn't mess around with a 4.3, as you're doing the same amount of work as you would for a V8.

A nice later model Chevy Vortec 4800 (275 HP if I recall !) would be a nice motor for a small truck. That should let it get out of its own way !!!

Now, if you have a 4WD that's different because having a transfer case to deal with makes things complicated.

You might consider sticking with a somewhat 'stock' setup by finding a donor V6 vehicle. Any '89-'91 Trooper with GM 2.8 V6 or an early 4WD Rodeo / P'up with the GM 3.1 V6 would be a likely donor. Find a wrecked or rusted-out rig and strip all the parts you'd need. A lot less difficult than trying to design your own swap and doing all your own R&D.

BTW a GM 3.4 out of a Camaro/Firebird or new GM HT crate motor, has as much HP as a stock 4.3 (160) but a bit less torque. A very good performer in a Trooper and probably much better in a truck as your P'up weighs less.

You can build a 3.4 using mostly bolt-ons and get close to 190-200HP. Plus the 60 Deg V6 is smoother and lighter than a 4.3.

Frankly, I wish they'd have built a V6 Spacecab, but they never did. One with a 3.4 would be a Sweet Ride indeed and would get reasonable mpg, too.

I have files for the 2.8-for-3.4 swap, which of course would not be all you need for a 4-cyl-to-6-cyl conversion, but it would at least be a start.

If you're interested, send me a P.M. with your e-mail address and I'll forward the info to you.

Happy Swapping............ed

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am in the middle of a 4.3tbi with 700r and a dana 300 it goes in next month, i also have straight axle in my trooper2 so it should go pretty smooth i hope, i will post the results when it is finished. Good luck on your choice of engine. Don

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey ed thanks for all the information, its some good reading and alot of much needed info.....im really tempted on alot of different engines...most of which you mentioned in the E-Mail. Ill get back to you guys once I figure out what I want to swap in there, all depends on whats available.

Ed anything I do though is gonna end up being carbed...im not looking for big numbers here just something a little quicker and hopefully more reliable!
and actually another engine that was brought to my attention that in my opinion would be pretty badass, the 5.0L mustang engine! Anyone done that swap yet that you know of? Id love to learn more.

-Tim

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Tim, if I recall, there was someone at the Outdoor Wire Isuzu Forums who was into Fords and was working on a 5-litre conversion, so you might post an inquiry there.

There might even be some kind of motor mount kit for a Ford-into-Isuzu swap, I'm remembering a Canadian website that was doing that. Can't find a bookmark for it but I expect a search of the 'Wire 'ZuZu forums might.

Here's one Ford discussion there for starters:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat. ... Post547889

Here's an interesting website I came across, it's for doing a swap in a Toyota but has real good general info too:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/swaps.htm

Enjoy...........ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.